Best Stadiums in MLB....vol. No Shea

The Nats new stadium got me thinking.....

The precedent for all new stadiums today, started back with Camden Yards in 1992....obviously, it doesn't have the history/lore of a Fenway or YankeeStadium, but IMO it is the most beautiful park in MLB....

oriolepark.jpg

Funny you make this thread today, as I'm putting the finishing touches on a 50-page article on the legal, tax, and financial issues surrounding stadiumfinance and naming rights agreements.
laugh.gif
happy.gif

Yeah, I'd say Camden is if not THE most beautiful park, it definitely was the progenitor of the "modern-classic" ballparks. I personally amthankful for it, because it spurred the development of parks that once again had personality and charm to them, as opposed to the cookie cutter multi-purposevenues of the 60's-80's.

On another note, I CAN'T WAIT to see what the new Marlins stadium is going to look like...Opening Day 2010, I'm so in the front row.
eek.gif

Ive been to about 20 Stadiums, and aside from the classic ones, Yankee, Fenway, Wrigley....Pittsburgh and DC have the best out of the modern ones.

Jacobs field is very overrated, Cincinatti's is terrible.

I've been to Camden Yards, not long after it was built and I love the stadium. I know you took a shot at Shea, that's fine, the place is a dump, butwe'll have a beautiful new stadium next year.

I think one of the major things though that I've noticed and I realize I'm not objective because I'm a Mets fan, but it's atmosphere. YankeeStadium is a different story because there's history there. There's obviously more emotion there with my lifelong association with the Mets, butI've been to Mets games at Turner Field (Braves) & Citizens Bank (Phillies)...and the atmosphere is nowhere near as exciting. Don't get me wrong,they're both very nice, new(er) stadiums, with tons of amenities, great food, etc. but it's just not as electric, even though I was watching my teamplay there and it was against division rivals (and I've been to a ton of Braves games against other teams too, which is damn near like going to a PGAevent).

Even if Yankee Stadium and CitiField are only just as good as all of these other modern ballparks on the surface, I'm pretty confident both will be betterplaces to watch a game than most because of the atmosphere/fan enthusiasm/electricity that surrounds the Yankees and Mets.

Just my thoughts, man.

I just wish AT&T did the same type of design with the grass as Camden does. Would make it look a lot nicer.

The Rays' proposed new nice sailboat stadium (if it ever gets built) will reach #1 on my best stadiums list.

The retro-inspired ballparks were nice but they have become the cookie-cutter parks of our generation, imo.

But I will co-sign with the person who mentioned PNC Park; I never thought much of the place but the All-Star Game that was held there really opened my eyes tohow nice that facility is.

Originally Posted by vctry20

1785153991_58fb3fa13d.jpg

Shut it down

pimp.gif

but on a side note, why all the hate on Shea? sure it is old andout of date, but I was there a couple years ago, sat in the upperdeck 1st base side and had a great view. I sat in pretty much the same seat only at Yankeestadium a week earlier, and I have to say Shea is a lot better place to watch the game.....or maybe it just reminded me of Candlestick.

I think one of the major things though that I've noticed and I realize I'm not objective because I'm a Mets fan, but it's atmosphere.

co-sign....Shea is a complete dump, but it's the crowd that makes the game so fun. I'll be at a couple games this summer....

Varisoxfan....I haven't been to the Nats stadium (yet), but I mentioned in another thread that while it is brand new, there is nothing that I have seenfrom the pics that is really
eek.gif
. I guess I have to see it in person, and ANYTHING is an upgrade over RFK. However, aesthetically I'm not thatimpressed....

Camden, Safeco, Pac Bell, and all the new parks (Milwakwee, Pitt, Cincy, Washington, etc) are all very nice. I like Houston a lot too.

But to watch a game, doesnt get any better than, I don't even to say it...

fenway-park-green-monster.jpg

I do have to admit that Yankee Stadium is a great place to watch a game as well

Just to prove that Shea is the worst stadium i've ever been to. Cant wait till next year to watch games at Citi Field.

afbv6a.jpg

My favorite stadium has to be Yankee Stadium the atmosphere is insane and its a good place. I'll be going to Yankee Stadium this week in my Yankees gear.
embarassed.gif

I swear I'm in pain for 4 hours watchin a game at Fenway...

awful seats and no leg room
ohwell.gif

but for the historical perspective and all that, it's great

I'm not the biggest baseball fan, but I definitely appreciate Camden. It's an awesome place, I love it there. On the other hand, although I'venever been there, AT&T Park looks awesome too, being built right on the S.F. Bay and all.

Yea Camden yards is up there...too bad the team has been awful for the past decade.
smh.gif
You guys don't even know, I used to watch EVERY Orioles game as alittle kid, I was such a big fan. Nowadays it's just sad.

The Nats' new park looks...average. I'll have to see it in person. One thing I don't like is the view. I'm sure the park itself is pretty nicethough.

Ive always liked Safeco and Bankone Ballpark

Anyone else ABSOLUTELY HATE sponsorships of pro stadiums?

Back
Top Bottom