Avery Johnson overrated coach?

NT, what's your view on Avery Johnson?

It seems to me that the Mavs don't play as hard as they did when he 1st took over a couple of years ago. Looks like he's overcoaching and trying tocontrol the game too much by calling every play. The Mavs have one of the most simple offenses in the league and they are just plain boring to watch..

He makes some terrible decisions in the playoffs or big games...

Examples:

- he once designed a game plan to let steve nash score on his team at will because he thought nash was more dangerous as a distributor
- he rarely gave marquis daniels playing time in the finals or makes adjustments to take advantage of mismatches
- rested his starters too much at the end of last season, and kept them out of the last game which eventually got the warriors (a team they struggled w/ allseason) in the playoffs setting up a 1st round matchup
-team leads NBA in victories and he changes his lineup to play the 8th seeded team
-keeps J Kidd on bench @ the end of spurs game
-last night designs a play for J Kidd to shoot a 3 in the last few seconds of a game.

At the rate the Mavs are going they're going to end up the 7th seed and have to begin the 1st round of the playoffs on the road.

So what happens if they lose in the 1st round again? Do you think he should get fired? Can you explain a reason to keep him if you go from finals, to back toback 1st round exits?

P.S How much blame do you put on Nelson and Cuban for signing a bunch of unathletic washed up shooting guards?

he once designed a game plan to let steve nash score on his team at will because he thought nash was more dangerous as a distributor

Thats fact if Nash scores 25 there is no way in hell the SUNS win.

Thats fact if Nash scores 25 there is no way in hell the SUNS win.

sure about that? he's scored 25 11 times this season, and they've only lost 4 of those games

i don't think Avery is a great coach. he's been around basketball for a long time and knows his stuff, but he really isn't that good at makingcoaching decisions. he really does mess with the lineup and minutes a lot, it seems. and no excuse for what happened in the playoffs

but its too early to start calling for his head yet. i haven't really heard any of those thoughts going around in Mavs circles.

what was it like 3 years ago when nashty just went OFF on the mavs in the second round... and the suns won. so ya that theory aint true

Yes, Avery is a overrated coach who out thinks himself to much.

Is he a good coach? Yes.

Is he a great coach like a lot of people have made him out to be? I don't think so...

He's too damn stubborn. I guarantee you he's worn on just about every player in that locker room to some extent. His in-game adjustments andsubstitutions are just mind-boggling. The fact that he refuses to double team elite perimeter scorers is one of the most confusing mindsets I've ever seen.You'd think after watching guys like Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant dominate this team for the last few years, he'd put two and two together. The Mavs arepretty good defensively, but they don't have a guy on the perimeter that can really get in a player's face and give him problems... Just seems like alot of times Avery doesn't understand how to neutralize mismatches defensively, or expose them offensively...

He made another bad decision on his play call last night with 4.5 seconds left. Why run an ISO for Dirk right there? You ran a play TWICE (where Dirk threw theball in and came off screens) in the last game against the Lakers, and Lamar Odom got lost BOTH TIMES. Why not go back to it? Why not get the ball to JasonKidd, spread the court, and let him to against Derek Fisher, then find the open man when someone helps? Some of that stuff, I just don't understand.

If they lose in the first round, Avery's job is very much on the line.

The Mavs are going to have to hope one of the big-time FAs is ready to take less money at this point in his career to play with Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki andJosh Howard to try and win a championship... If someone like JO, Gil, whoever opts out, the Mavs really need to try and sell them of that opportunity. Theyneed a guy that can play either SG or C... They are still one key piece away. If it means moving Josh Howard to find that guy, do it.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Is he a good coach? Yes.

Is he a great coach like a lot of people have made him out to be? I don't think so...

He's too damn stubborn. I guarantee you he's worn on just about every player in that locker room to some extent. His in-game adjustments and substitutions are just mind-boggling. The fact that he refuses to double team elite perimeter scorers is one of the most confusing mindsets I've ever seen. You'd think after watching guys like Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant dominate this team for the last few years, he'd put two and two together. The Mavs are pretty good defensively, but they don't have a guy on the perimeter that can really get in a player's face and give him problems... Just seems like a lot of times Avery doesn't understand how to neutralize mismatches defensively, or expose them offensively...

He made another bad decision on his play call last night with 4.5 seconds left. Why run an ISO for Dirk right there? You ran a play TWICE (where Dirk threw the ball in and came off screens) in the last game against the Lakers, and Lamar Odom got lost BOTH TIMES. Why not go back to it? Why not get the ball to Jason Kidd, spread the court, and let him to against Derek Fisher, then find the open man when someone helps? Some of that stuff, I just don't understand.

The Mavs are going to have to hope one of the big-time FAs is ready to take less money at this point in his career to play with Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard... If someone like JO, Gil, whoever opts out, the Mavs really need to try and sell them of that opportunity. They need a guy that can play either SG or C... They are still one key piece away. If it means moving Josh Howard to find that guy, do it.

AMEN.. I agree w/ everything you said..

I'm willing to bet his relationship w/ Kidd is going to be an issue in the very near future..

As far as FA's go...I think they need Maggette. I know someone will disagree w/ that, but CM will be the slasher and SG they need. The mavs have too manyjump shooters so they need someone who will get opposing SG's in foul trouble by attacking the basket.

Since Harris is gone, they dont have anyone who's going to draw fouls.

smh.gif

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Is he a good coach? Yes.

He's too damn stubborn. I guarantee you he's worn on just about every player in that locker room to some extent. His in-game adjustments and substitutions are just mind-boggling. The fact that he refuses to double team elite perimeter scorers is one of the most confusing mindsets I've ever seen. You'd think after watching guys like Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant dominate this team for the last few years, he'd put two and two together. The Mavs are pretty good defensively, but they don't have a guy on the perimeter that can really get in a player's face and give him problems... Just seems like a lot of times Avery doesn't understand how to neutralize mismatches defensively, or expose them offensively...

He made another bad decision on his play call last night with 4.5 seconds left. Why run an ISO for Dirk right there? You ran a play TWICE (where Dirk threw the ball in and came off screens) in the last game against the Lakers, and Lamar Odom got lost BOTH TIMES. Why not go back to it? Why not get the ball to Jason Kidd, spread the court, and let him to against Derek Fisher, then find the open man when someone helps? Some of that stuff, I just don't understand.

The Mavs are going to have to hope one of the big-time FAs is ready to take less money at this point in his career to play with Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard... If someone like JO, Gil, whoever opts out, the Mavs really need to try and sell them of that opportunity. They need a guy that can play either SG or C... They are still one key piece away. If it means moving Josh Howard to find that guy, do it.

AMEN.. I agree w/ everything you said..

I'm willing to bet his relationship w/ Kidd is going to be an issue in the very near future..

As far as FA's go...I think they need Maggette. I know someone will disagree w/ that, but CM will be the slasher and SG they need. The mavs have too many jump shooters so they need someone who will get opposing SG's in foul trouble by attacking the basket.

Since Harris is gone, they dont have anyone who's going to draw fouls.

I think both of you make good points. Maggette would work nice in that offense, I wouldn't be suprised to see them go after him. JO I think is prettymuch done. Maybe I'm wrong, but he hasn't been healthy in what seems like forever. Gil.....he might be alright with that group, but i think he wantsthe ball in his hands too much for Kidd to be able to do anything or for Dirk to get his touches. Maggette wouldn't be that way, he could just pick andchoose his plays or feed off of double teams or Kidd driving and dishing.

Where was Eddie Jones last night? Is he hurt, did he get cut? I didn't see him or even hear his name and I haven't seen anything on him saying he wasout or anything.

Yup. He's overrated. Mediocre coach but that's usually how it is with former NBA players who get a head coaching job with little to no experience.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

Examples:

- he once designed a game plan to let steve nash score on his team at will because he thought nash was more dangerous as a distributor
- he rarely gave marquis daniels playing time in the finals or makes adjustments to take advantage of mismatches
- rested his starters too much at the end of last season, and kept them out of the last game which eventually got the warriors (a team they struggled w/ all season) in the playoffs setting up a 1st round matchup
-team leads NBA in victories and she changes his lineup to play the 8th seeded team
-keeps J Kidd on bench @ the end of spurs game
-last night designs a play for J Kidd to shoot a 3 in the last few seconds of a game.

i didnt understand why marquis daniels didnt get a chance to play in the finals. always thought he had talent, heck wade was killing whoever was guardinghim, why not let marquis get a try.
w's and don nelson got in his head and that threw him way off.

doesnt help when your best player refuses to get down on the blow and do work.

I think he's a good leader but not nearly flexible enough to be a great coach.. Dude was out-coached and out-classed in that series against the Warriorslast year, plain and simple..

His coaching style wears down players after a while.. I bet it'd work wonders in college though..

CP1708 wrote:

Where was Eddie Jones last night? Is he hurt, did he get cut? I didn't see him or even hear his name and I haven't seen anything on him saying he was out or anything.

You never know in AJ's rotations...You could start @ SG one night and be healthy in street clothes the next..

He's a decent coach (at times) but he's fairly new and has made some mistakes...

My thing is, since Dallas is more so built to win now then maybe they need a more experienced coach who can lead them to where they want to be.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

I think he's a good leader but not nearly flexible enough to be a great coach.. Dude was out-coached and out-classed in that series against the Warriors last year, plain and simple..

His coaching style wears down players after a while.. I bet it'd work wonders in college though..

Every single thing he said.

edit:

Oh, and I like the way the TS backed up his Thread Title with facts/reasons for saying what he said.

Mark Cuban was giving him an extended, cold stare when the Mavs were down double digits last night...

But the thing that I find funny is, his voice is so piercing that you can usually hear it through the commentator's feed
laugh.gif

I think both of you make good points. Maggette would work nice in that offense, I wouldn't be suprised to see them go after him. JO I think is pretty much done. Maybe I'm wrong, but he hasn't been healthy in what seems like forever. Gil.....he might be alright with that group, but i think he wants the ball in his hands too much for Kidd to be able to do anything or for Dirk to get his touches. Maggette wouldn't be that way, he could just pick and choose his plays or feed off of double teams or Kidd driving and dishing.

Where was Eddie Jones last night? Is he hurt, did he get cut? I didn't see him or even hear his name and I haven't seen anything on him saying he was out or anything.
Maggette would be a real nice fit with Jason Kidd. And he's a guy that could impact the game offensively without taking a lot of touches awayfrom Dirk or Josh. He'd benefit nicely from playing with Jason Kidd...

Another guy I like is Josh Childress. An athletic SG with actual size for the position... He'd be another good fit.

The Mavs opportunity will be better for a championship next year, IMO, than it is this year. With Kidd in the fold, the roster needs some minor tweaks here andthere that they just couldn't make at the deadline. It'd be nice if they could get someone to bite on either Jason Terry or Jerry Stackhouse...

I was actually gonna make a post about this before I came on. I'm glad most see it my way because I believe that Avery Johnson is one of the worst coachesin the nba that has been blessed with a great team. I believe he is, besides the officiating, the reason why they lost the finals against the Heat. He is waytoo controlling during the games and his in-game adjustments and rotations are terrible.

Back
Top Bottom