August Alsina said Will Smith told him he could smash Jada if he wanted to...

The Benoit joke is either a) Not clever and not funny b) Tasteless and not funny c) Ignorant and and not funny.

Like I have said in the past, people have the right to make whatever joke they want, and other people have the right to take issue with it. If you want to make a joke about a sensitive subject, the margin of error is really small, so it better be some really clever joke. But ole boy made some simple trash *** long hanging fruit nonsense.

Like why the **** would I find child murder funny.

Name 3 significant character traits you can tell about a person from what they find funny.
It's more nuanced than that. If someone gets a very clever joke with a specific reference, I have a little insight on how they think.
If someone laughs at something inappropriate, like an old lady falling and hurting herself, it tells me something about them, they have a crude humor and aren't very empathetic. If someone laughs at a joke about rape/abortion, it lets me know they aren't very sensitive about that topic.

The Benoit joke is either a) Not clever and not funny b) Tasteless and not funny c) Ignorant and and not funny.

Like I have said in the past, people have the right to make whatever joke they want, and other people have the right to take issue with it. If you want to make a joke about a sensitive subject, the margin of error is really small, so it better be some really clever joke. But ole boy made some simple trash *** long hanging fruit nonsense.

Like why the **** would I find child murder funny.
That's always been my take on it too. U wanna make offensive insensitive jokes better be a home run

It's more nuanced than that. If someone gets a very clever joke with a specific reference, I have a little insight on how they think.
If someone laughs at something inappropriate, like an old lady falling and hurting herself, it tells me something about them, they have a crude humor and aren't very empathetic. If someone laughs at a joke about rape/abortion, it lets me know they aren't very sensitive about that topic.

Are you able to give examples that aren't on the extreme end of cruelty?

I disagree. You always have to keep in mind the context of the joke and what the joke is. Sarah Silverman has made plenty women laugh with rape jokes. Pretty sure we can't say they were all insensitive about rape. I'll give you an example. What if a comedian makes a joke about rape, but the premise of the joke is to highlight how f'd up a rapist is? Wouldn't laughing mean the audience is empathetic to victims and despises rapists? It's still a rape joke. Context is everything.

Now with the old lady falling, that really isn't a joke, that's more of a real life situation. But what if a comedian does a bit about a racist old lady who falls and breaks her leg? Can it be funny? I think so. Personally I believe context is everything when it comes to comedy. Anything can be made funny, it just depends on the context.

Last edited:

What would be your judgement of someone who laughs at a joke about the Titanic?

Did anyone here find RDJr's character in Tropic Thunder funny?

Just trying to see something.

hilarious.. but the whole point of the character was him thinking he could pull that shh

his character was the blonde haired Australian actor who had a ton of issues

What would be your judgement of someone who laughs at a joke about the Titanic?
They just aren't familiar with the severity of the situation, likely because it happened so long ago. At this point people just think of it as a boat that crashed. I'm sure if someone sat then form and spelled out the severity of the circumstances, they may have a different outlook.
Similar, there was a mattress store in San Antonio that aired a commercial making light of 9/11. They received a lot of heat and I think the store closed down.
Also, everyone can't pull off the same joke, just like everyone can't make the same piece of clothing work. It's almost like an art.

Jokes on Twitter in general are usually lazy and hacky. Jokes that have to be read are limited to one liners. At best good for a chuckle and then forgotten. I need to hear a joke being told for it to hit for more than just 5 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom