At&t and T-Mobile merger halted Vol. Antitrust

[h1]DOJ files antitrust suit to block AT&T merger with T-Mobile[/h1]By David Goldman @CNNMoneyTech August 31, 2011: 11:21 AM ET
att-store-1.jc.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit against AT&T on Wednesday to block its $39 billion merger with T-Mobile.

Shares of AT&T (T, Fortune 500) tumbled nearly 4%.

The merger would have created the largest wireless company in the United States, combining AT&T's 95 million customers with T-Mobile's 34 million users for a total of 130 million subscribers.

The merged companies, along with Verizon Wireless, would also have dominated more than two thirds of the wireless market and account for 78% of the wireless industry's revenues.

"We feel the combination of AT&T and T-Mobile would result in tens of millions of consumers across the U.S. facing higher prices, fewer choices, and lower quality products for wireless services," said James Cole, deputy Attorney General, in a press conference Wednesday.

AT&T has claimed that the merger is necessary in order to significantly expand its faster 4G wireless network to compete with Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500). Without the acquisition, AT&T says it would lack the necessary wireless spectrum and wherewithal to cover 97% of the U.S. population with 4G.

Sprint (S, Fortune 500) and many of the smaller carriers have argued that the merger will harm competition and raise prices for consumers, because it would eliminate T-Mobile, the last low-cost carrier with a national footprint.

The lawsuit does not necessarily mean the deal won't get done.

In April, the DOJ filed an antitrust lawsuit against Google (GOOG, Fortune 500), following its $700 million takeover bid for ITA, the world's largest airline search software company.

The DOJ and the search giant then quickly settled the claim, with the Justice Department approving the deal, provided that Google accept certain concessions and restrictions. 

finally, that merger would never pull through

at least T-mob is guaranteed a huge amount of money regardless

As a T-Mobile user I'm not gonna lie, AT&T screwed my neighborhood over on their internet service (or lack of). I'm glad this deal got halted.

It's a good thing. When companies become essentially monopoly prices start to rise and quality starts to fall.
For example, I took Caribbean Airlines in early August to go visit relatives in Jamaica.
It cost my family (according to my mom) almost one grand per seat (booked 6 months in advance).
And there was four of us.
Before Caribbean Airlines had monopoly in the Caribbean, there was also Air Jamaica which was a mostly state owned venture.
The Trinidadian then came along and bought out Air Jamaica and then after that they brought down the quality of service and jacked up the price.
Before there were legit model shows on the plane, and food that tasted so good you though it was freshly cooked.
And the flights used to ALWAYS leave late, but we always got there on time.
Now we eat crappy food and leave late and still arrive late.
Monopoly is bad for the people, case closed.

Good.. Glad the gov is stepping in

Hopefully it gets blocked, not only as a T-Mobile customer but for the wireless landscape in general.

great news but i just don't see DT wanting to keep TMO, i mean Phillup Humm is pretty much selling out to try and get this deal done, doubt it's gonna happen with AT&T but doesn't mean they still won't try and sell it...maybe Google?

Back
Top Bottom