Asics Love?!? Where is it?

So I said I'd do an OG to Packer comparison of the Alvin's.

I was crossing my fingers.  But, I have to say the OG's are indeed different as hypothesized by some pics I saw in FB groups.  These are my pics I just took.  I'll do a video later.

First thing that shocked me was the color of the charcoal gray.  Wow.  Totally different colors.  My wife, who is not even OCD like me even noticed. 

The shoe on the right is the OG.  Shape is a bit off because of the shoe tree in the OG.  The OG suede is much smoother.  

Of course the # on the tag is different:

The very bottom of the heel is smooth with no rough preforations. The OG has rough preforatiins like the sjs.   Kind of hard to see.  

The 3M near the toebox is a bit darker purple on the re-release.  Again, hard to see unless you see it in person.  OG is the upper.

All in the all, the back of the shoe is the same except for the OG is better suede and a bit darker.  Shape is off because of the shoe tree.

Definitely more pinching on the toebox from the re-release.  Even without the shoe tree, the OG does not pinch.  OG on the right.

All in all, it's a decent release.  Just wish the suede was up to par.  I'm still stocking these in case a disaster happens to my OG's.  I know some of you were wondering if there is any difference.  Also, congrats to you who were finally able to cop a pair.  This is defintely a classic!

Last edited:

Under rated Colorway.

Happy to have these in the rotation.

From the looks of the tag it looks like $375 from image ny

I paid 3 for mine back in feb or march if that helps you gauge the price
thanks dude

@JC5123  got it right. Copped from Image-NY like the tag says. They got some great prices. I haven't found any Mortar's on the market for a while. So $375 it was.
nice. couldn't see the tag on my phone. i would pay 375...

400 is my limit for all shoes. 

What rope laces are people using in their Alvins? The site I use to use in EU has shut shop, anyone got any recommendations for ropes in EU?

cheers

So I said I'd do an OG to Packer comparison of the Alvin's.

I was crossing my fingers.  But, I have to say the OG's are indeed different as hypothesized by some pics I saw in FB groups.  These are my pics I just took.  I'll do a video later.

First thing that shocked me was the color of the charcoal gray.  Wow.  Totally different colors.  My wife, who is not even OCD like me even noticed. 

The shoe on the right is the OG.  Shape is a bit off because of the shoe tree in the OG.  The OG suede is much smoother.  

Of course the # on the tag is different:

The very bottom of the heel is smooth with no rough preforations. The OG has rough preforatiins like the sjs.   Kind of hard to see.  

The 3M near the toebox is a bit darker purple on the re-release.  Again, hard to see unless you see it in person.  OG is the upper.

All in the all, the back of the shoe is the same except for the OG is better suede and a bit darker.  Shape is off because of the shoe tree.

Definitely more pinching on the toebox from the re-release.  Even without the shoe tree, the OG does not pinch.  OG on the right.

All in all, it's a decent release.  Just wish the suede was up to par.  I'm still stocking these in case a disaster happens to my OG's.  I know some of you were wondering if there is any difference.  Also, congrats to you who were finally able to cop a pair.  This is defintely a classic!

any methods to darken the suede on the re-release?..baby oil trick would work or nah?

The rope lace obsession has really gotten out of control.

Not every pair of Asics needs to have rope laces.

Some sneakers do benefit from rope laces, but rope laces a lot of times make a nice looking pair of sneakers look worse.

It also depends on how they are laced. Just throwing them in there any old way isn't helping.

For instance, this right here is not a good look:

the rope laces hype is even in hong kong now, seems they even got there own dedicated webshop to sell rope laces in hong kong, is kool i guess.

Some sneakers do benefit from rope laces, but rope laces a lot of times make a nice looking pair of sneakers look worse.

It also depends on how they are laced. Just throwing them in there any old way isn't helping.

Looks fine to me, you're complaining about nothing...

Agree that is not a good look with the mismatched laces, but if both were orange like the shoe on the left they'd look great!

Agree that is not a good look with the mismatched laces, but if both were orange like the shoe on the left they'd look great!
I'm not talking about them being mismatched. I'm talking about the way they are laced. Very sloppy looking.

Back
Top Bottom