Asian Culture Discussion Thread

On the topic of Asians in music, 88rising is doing their thing but tbh I'm not really feeling any of their artists. Here's a couple of artists that I like. Manila Grey and Anders are Canadian. Shotta Spence is from Jersey. Stupid Young is from Long Beach and is about to be in a Vice episode centering around authenticity being a Cambodian rapper. He uses the n-word which might bother people. I heard Dean might release an English album after he finishes this upcoming Korean one (which is coming out in a few days). Also BTS's song with Aoki is going to have a music video release soon and Ben Baller is going to be in it lmao.

If you're into electronic music then don't sleep on Yaeji...she's on the of the dopest out the 88rising camp

Anyone in here ever use genetic testing?

I don't really have much interest but my sister really does so I bought her an AncestryDNA kit on Cyber Monday. Randomly started reading reviews this morning and promptly canceled my order :lol:

Capture+_2018-11-29-08-34-29.png
Capture+_2018-11-29-08-36-51.png

I then ordered a 23andMe kit from Target which is supposedly much better for Asians.

Nope but sounds like a waste of money for anyone no matter what ethnicity

I feel you on that. Like I'm curious, but not $50-100 curious lol. My sister's been telling me to do one with her for months now though so I'll chalk it up as her Christmas gift and then just bum off her results.

...unless I'm adopted?????

I'm of Dominican descent, so it was interesting seeing my Ancestry results. Granted, I kind of knew what to expect (African/Spanish), it was cool seeing the breakdowns. I was about half African and they split that by various African countries. About 30% Iberian peninsula, some European, Central Asian in there. I think these DNA result tests are best suited for people who come from mixed backgrounds.

Sidenote, I saw Searching. Dope flick.

It’ll be interesting to trace my chinese ancestry back to a specific province/village etc but I know they don’t invest into Asians like that. All I know about my ethnicity is Taiwanese born and it stops there

I'm of Dominican descent, so it was interesting seeing my Ancestry results. Granted, I kind of knew what to expect (African/Spanish), it was cool seeing the breakdowns. I was about half African and they split that by various African countries. About 30% Iberian peninsula, some European, Central Asian in there. I think these DNA result tests are best suited for people who come from mixed backgrounds.

Sidenote, I saw Searching. Dope flick.

i think the problem is that these companies haven't quite done their homework with regard to people outside indo-european, native american and pan african cultures.

people in asia are just as mixed and varied with many ethnic groups existing even within a single asian country.
the generic term "asian" can include anyone from the caucus mountains all the way to the pacific islands and that's not really good enough

i think the problem is that these companies haven't quite done their homework with regard to people outside indo-european, native american and pan african cultures.

people in asia are just as mixed and varied with many ethnic groups existing even within a single asian country.
the generic term "asian" can include anyone from the caucus mountains all the way to the pacific islands and that's not really good enough

I imagine it's going to get better over time. As the science improves and as more Asian people voice their displeasure with these services.

09edc4150357583a8274fed0c31353ca.jpg

Seriously though, especially those here younger and/or born Stateside, have the conversation with those in family who know. Very important to understand where your Past is from. We aren't just "." from "this Continent". Go beyond city/town, province, region and understand the history/culture of Area.

Dachen, Zhejiang to Taiwan to USA.

I'd been curious about this, being Korean, what other genetics I might have. But I had heard it was bogus for us and would just come back as "Asian".
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of Mongolian traits in Korean people today. From what I've learned, "Koreans" had very different characteristics in the past.
I remember a few years ago, Mongolians dominated the valet parking, babysitting market in K-town, while they might have "looked" similar found out culturally are so very different.

The DNA test is not a joke, you just gotta know how to use your results. Its especially useful for people trying to locate lost relatives or confirm relations. There are third party websites that you can go even more in depth when you upload your results like matching ethnicity by chromosome.

Some websites specialize in specific ethnicities too.

I went through a phase being curious about 23andme but then they had some scandal where they were sell user data.

You're basically paying them to sell you genetic data.

I wanted in when the report included predisposition to medical conditions and disease. I don't think they do that anymore though, just where your ancestry in from and whatever.

My girl did it and it says she has part Chinese I believe. I think she already knew since one side of her family is ethnically Chinese living in Vietnam. I refer to her as a Việt though cuz our families speak it.

As for me, I’m 100% Vietnamese and don’t need any confirmation. It would be interesting to know if I’m a descendent of Ghengis Khan tho :lol:

Back
Top Bottom