Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Japan's revisionist history also made sure the rest of the world stays oblivious to the colonial period. I'd say most, especially in the US, think the worst thing done during ww2 was Pearl Harbor- understandable as that's what was directly felt and seen. With many so called "Kamikaze" pilots being Korean men or kids forced to do this to save their families...
The fact that even to this day, there are Rising Sun graphics and designs that might be considered "cool" and "Dope/fire", because it's just "Kamikaze", is mind boggling to me.

I remember in college in some e.asian studies course Professor showed an image of the rising sun = swastika, and this was hotly debated- by no one that was Japanese...
Human experiments (maruta), torture tactics - horrific things were done to many Korean Independance fighters, and of course trying to wipe out Korean culture by the forced name change.

I remember the rising sun 12s causing a huge uproar back in the day. Again, mind blowing a company like Nike doesn't think to research that. Personally never liked the 12s even from back in the 90s. Especially not after knowing the inspiration.

Kinda related but it reminds me of trendy people who use just the head of buddha to furnish their contemporary homes.

Like bro, you're using a decapitated head of a religious figure as a home decor?

On the topic of Asians in music, 88rising is doing their thing but tbh I'm not really feeling any of their artists. Here's a couple of artists that I like. Manila Grey and Anders are Canadian. Shotta Spence is from Jersey. Stupid Young is from Long Beach and is about to be in a Vice episode centering around authenticity being a Cambodian rapper. He uses the n-word which might bother people. I heard Dean might release an English album after he finishes this upcoming Korean one (which is coming out in a few days). Also BTS's song with Aoki is going to have a music video release soon and Ben Baller is going to be in it lmao.

Last edited:
thought Manila Grey are from the Phillipines, they're pretty dope. Found out Shotta Spence is Vietnamese, his music is pretty clean. $tupid Young is coming to my area to perform with my cousin Dub P this month. It's bout to be lit

thought Manila Grey are from the Phillipines, they're pretty dope. Found out Shotta Spence is Vietnamese, his music is pretty clean. $tupid Young is coming to my area to perform with my cousin Dub P this month. It's bout to be lit

Manila Grey is from Vancouver (Richmond). They're from my city. I like how versatile they are. They had a different sound, stage name, and look just 2 years ago.

I remember watching this 5 years ago... saw it while I was looking through my old YouTube videos that I liked on my old channel... such a great vid

46473335_10156984365183896_1199990021138939904_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom