Are there any ball players out there who are good enough to play in the NBA, but aren't? vol. no TGB

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Theres alot of reasons why guys arent in the NBA.  Let me start the list.

1. Timing/Exposure-  The earlier you can get in the pipeline the better, getting on the rader is part of that.  Being a top player in HS, being ranked, going to college, being good in college, having options after your eligibility is up.  Overseas, D-league, maybe even drafted. If you are a lanky 6'7 freshman in HS you gonna be on the map early even if you aren't that good yet.  You gonna have coaches that will work with you. 

2. Hardwork-  Alot of guys are blessed with athletic ability and size but many of them don't work hard.  These guys can go thru college and still never be pushed because they got it that easy.  But on the next level its about talent and hardwork.  This means working on your body, your skillset, and just being a pro.

3. Skillset-  Theres alot of talented guys but they are tweeners.  If your 6'3 and below you better be able to play the point.  If your 6'5 you can't play the post sorry.

4.  Luck/Connections-  The basketball world is pretty small.  If you can know a guy who knows a guy then your good.  Basketball is a fraternity and theres a lot of favors that happen.

So basically to make it to the league you better find exposure early in your career, work hard on your body, learn a position that is relevant to your height, and pray! 
Very true. Good post. Just wanted to reiterate about the 'Tweener' status. It kills your NBA potential. A lot of the college guys that were stars that never panned out in the league was a direct result of Tweener. One that comes to mind was Chris Porter from Auburn. Dude was too small to play forward, but not skilled enough (ballhandling, passing) to play a guard.

1. Timing/Exposure-  The earlier you can get in the pipeline the better, getting on the rader is part of that.  Being a top player in HS, being ranked, going to college, being good in college, having options after your eligibility is up.  Overseas, D-league, maybe even drafted. If you are a lanky 6'7 freshman in HS you gonna be on the map early even if you aren't that good yet.  You gonna have coaches that will work with you. 

2. Hardwork-  Alot of guys are blessed with athletic ability and size but many of them don't work hard.  These guys can go thru college and still never be pushed because they got it that easy.  But on the next level its about talent and hardwork.  This means working on your body, your skillset, and just being a pro.

3. Skillset-  Theres alot of talented guys but they are tweeners.  If your 6'3 and below you better be able to play the point.  If your 6'5 you can't play the post sorry.

4.  Luck/Connections-  The basketball world is pretty small.  If you can know a guy who knows a guy then your good.  Basketball is a fraternity and theres a lot of favors that happen.

So basically to make it to the league you better find exposure early in your career, work hard on your body, learn a position that is relevant to your height, and pray! 
Very true. Good post. Just wanted to reiterate about the 'Tweener' status. It kills your NBA potential. A lot of the college guys that were stars that never panned out in the league was a direct result of Tweener. One that comes to mind was Chris Porter from Auburn. Dude was too small to play forward, but not skilled enough (ballhandling, passing) to play a guard.

Originally Posted by BTK

RTEmagicC_09_0930_Concord_Herart7_01.jpg.jpg

Shut the %%@@ up, salty +!%, 'Why did the Lost Years of the Lakers have to happen?' %!#!$$!!+*+#.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Hollis Price from Oklahoma University.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Hollis Price from Oklahoma University.

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Just about any of the top 15 prospects in the D-League are NBA worthy. The point I am trying to make is the NBA is like a country club. People that get drafted in the first round get preference. Even if they aren't really deserving of a spot, all it takes is for one person with power to like you.

You can honestly say it is Keith Langford's fault that he isn't in the NBA? No. The same way EVERYONE can't be successful in the real world, EVERYONE can't be successful in making the NBA. You all underestimate the power of luck. You really do. Because I just find it hard to believe that you all really think that anyone that is not in the NBA is at fault. It doesn't mean that they HAVE to have ego problems, or problems with attitude. It just means that someone else got a shot and they didn't.
Whoa Whoa Whoa hold on...

sesay_stop%28308x377%29.jpg

Ansu Sesay was the NBDL MVP and his numbers with the Sonics prove otherwise in some cases...just saying....
NBA Worthy doesn't mean he will put up solid numbers if he got the chance. Every NBA player doesn't put up NBA type numbers. Being an NBA player doesn't mean being a rotation guy. So your point really isn't a point.

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Just about any of the top 15 prospects in the D-League are NBA worthy. The point I am trying to make is the NBA is like a country club. People that get drafted in the first round get preference. Even if they aren't really deserving of a spot, all it takes is for one person with power to like you.

You can honestly say it is Keith Langford's fault that he isn't in the NBA? No. The same way EVERYONE can't be successful in the real world, EVERYONE can't be successful in making the NBA. You all underestimate the power of luck. You really do. Because I just find it hard to believe that you all really think that anyone that is not in the NBA is at fault. It doesn't mean that they HAVE to have ego problems, or problems with attitude. It just means that someone else got a shot and they didn't.
Whoa Whoa Whoa hold on...

sesay_stop%28308x377%29.jpg

Ansu Sesay was the NBDL MVP and his numbers with the Sonics prove otherwise in some cases...just saying....
NBA Worthy doesn't mean he will put up solid numbers if he got the chance. Every NBA player doesn't put up NBA type numbers. Being an NBA player doesn't mean being a rotation guy. So your point really isn't a point.

I'm surprised that McCants is out of the league. The NBA is crazy sometimes...you can go from averaging 10+ ppg one season to being out of the league the next. I'm guessing it has to do with attitude/reputation...there are a lot of bummy players still in the league who are kept around due to their work ethic and positive influence on teammates. Then you have guys who clearly have the ability to play in the NBA but are blacklisted for reasons unknown to the rest of us.

I'm surprised that McCants is out of the league. The NBA is crazy sometimes...you can go from averaging 10+ ppg one season to being out of the league the next. I'm guessing it has to do with attitude/reputation...there are a lot of bummy players still in the league who are kept around due to their work ethic and positive influence on teammates. Then you have guys who clearly have the ability to play in the NBA but are blacklisted for reasons unknown to the rest of us.

As much as i like Luke Walton he wouldn't be in the league right now if his last name wasn't Walton...

Politics, reputation, maturity issues, and many things hold people back from being in the league.

As much as i like Luke Walton he wouldn't be in the league right now if his last name wasn't Walton...

Politics, reputation, maturity issues, and many things hold people back from being in the league.

im going to have to say aaron ownes in his prime. known as AO on And 1 and Sylk off of And 1. I forgot his real name though. these two could have been a backup PG in the nba without a doubt

im going to have to say aaron ownes in his prime. known as AO on And 1 and Sylk off of And 1. I forgot his real name though. these two could have been a backup PG in the nba without a doubt

Why isnt Gerald Green in the L? He shoots the three well and is a human highlight reel.........
Where is he now anyway?
act_gerald_green.jpg

Back
Top Bottom