Are Nike Retro/Sportswear REALLY not same performance-wise as OGs?

Hey guys, I have heard many times that the Nike retro/sportswear shoes (i.e Foamposite, Jordans, etc) are not going to performance as well as the originals and are not meant to be played in. Is this true? Or does Nike just recommend using their newest/latest shoes because technology and comfort have come a long way since then?

Hey guys, I have heard many times that the Nike retro/sportswear shoes (i.e Foamposite, Jordans, etc) are not going to performance as well as the originals and are not meant to be played in. Is this true? Or does Nike just recommend using their newest/latest shoes because technology and comfort have come a long way since then?

from what ive heard, Nike has taken out some of the "costlier" techs in the retro to reduce cost.

Not me personally. but folks can play in "fakes" with no problem, so im sure folks can play in Nike's takin down shoes...Its F!!!d up Nike woulld do this while still chargin the og retail and many times more than the og retail.

from what ive heard, Nike has taken out some of the "costlier" techs in the retro to reduce cost.

Not me personally. but folks can play in "fakes" with no problem, so im sure folks can play in Nike's takin down shoes...Its F!!!d up Nike woulld do this while still chargin the og retail and many times more than the og retail.

Well from a tennis perspective, the OG Air Tech Challenge's (Agassi) had Durathane outsoles, which were supposedly their durable rubber back in the 90's. Durathane wasn't used on their retros, but with advances in rubber outsoles, the newer rubber compounds might be more durable than the stuff used back then.
Having said that, I developed a bit of soreness in my arches (I thought it was plantar fasciitis) after playing in the ATC2 retros.  I went back to my 'performance' tennis shoes and the problem went away (with some proper stretches and RICE too).  

Well from a tennis perspective, the OG Air Tech Challenge's (Agassi) had Durathane outsoles, which were supposedly their durable rubber back in the 90's. Durathane wasn't used on their retros, but with advances in rubber outsoles, the newer rubber compounds might be more durable than the stuff used back then.
Having said that, I developed a bit of soreness in my arches (I thought it was plantar fasciitis) after playing in the ATC2 retros.  I went back to my 'performance' tennis shoes and the problem went away (with some proper stretches and RICE too).  

Originally Posted by issa3032

Or does Nike just recommend using their newest/latest shoes because technology and comfort have come a long way since then?
It's not Nike saying this, it's the consumers.  Nike learned almost a decade ago that nostalgia and hype will sell retros that people have been longing for, so they can cut corners on quality and come out that much further ahead.  For example, in many cases with the retros, midsole colors are now painted on instead of foam injected, lower grades of leather are being used vs. the originals, shapes/molds are changed to skimp on some materials/save costs (i.e. patent leather trim, length of the tongues), and so on.

I can tell you as someone who bought a pair of AJ VI in '91, and has bought at LEAST one pair of the signature AJs each year ever since, the retros do NOT perform anywhere near as good as the originals.  I used to LOVE wearing my Air Jordans all through the '90s.  Now, with the exception of the "nubuck" retro XII, which have been half-way decent, the rest hurt my feet to play in.  As much as it sucks to see my childhood favorites I used to obsess over and not be able to buy them, I refuse to spend any more money on retros.

Originally Posted by issa3032

Or does Nike just recommend using their newest/latest shoes because technology and comfort have come a long way since then?
It's not Nike saying this, it's the consumers.  Nike learned almost a decade ago that nostalgia and hype will sell retros that people have been longing for, so they can cut corners on quality and come out that much further ahead.  For example, in many cases with the retros, midsole colors are now painted on instead of foam injected, lower grades of leather are being used vs. the originals, shapes/molds are changed to skimp on some materials/save costs (i.e. patent leather trim, length of the tongues), and so on.

I can tell you as someone who bought a pair of AJ VI in '91, and has bought at LEAST one pair of the signature AJs each year ever since, the retros do NOT perform anywhere near as good as the originals.  I used to LOVE wearing my Air Jordans all through the '90s.  Now, with the exception of the "nubuck" retro XII, which have been half-way decent, the rest hurt my feet to play in.  As much as it sucks to see my childhood favorites I used to obsess over and not be able to buy them, I refuse to spend any more money on retros.

I have both of several models, and the retros dont compare to the og. What nike has really cheaped out on is just plain padding, and not just in retros but in everything else too. You know that old saying of  'they dont make em like they used to' well, it applies here sadly. Its only gonna get worse from here too prolly. Until it impacts nike's bottom line we wont see any change for the better.

I have both of several models, and the retros dont compare to the og. What nike has really cheaped out on is just plain padding, and not just in retros but in everything else too. You know that old saying of  'they dont make em like they used to' well, it applies here sadly. Its only gonna get worse from here too prolly. Until it impacts nike's bottom line we wont see any change for the better.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Exactly.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Exactly.

To be honest, 99% of retros aren't meant for performance. They're for nostalgia. It's mostly the insole stuff that seems to be getting done away with. The O.G. Jordan IV and V, as well as the first set of retros were done 100% accurate. Nice plush, padded insole that made the shoes SUPER comfy. Then after that, they started putting in these cheap, paper thin insoles that don't do a thing. I don't have the money to be buying a pair of new insoles every time I buy a new pair of retros, so I just have to suck it up. For the most part, they're still pretty comfy, just not O.G. comfy.

Peace,
J

To be honest, 99% of retros aren't meant for performance. They're for nostalgia. It's mostly the insole stuff that seems to be getting done away with. The O.G. Jordan IV and V, as well as the first set of retros were done 100% accurate. Nice plush, padded insole that made the shoes SUPER comfy. Then after that, they started putting in these cheap, paper thin insoles that don't do a thing. I don't have the money to be buying a pair of new insoles every time I buy a new pair of retros, so I just have to suck it up. For the most part, they're still pretty comfy, just not O.G. comfy.

Peace,
J

if da OG was of a higher price margin then i usually assume da retro will be good as far as quality.

if da OG was of a higher price margin then i usually assume da retro will be good as far as quality.

Stiff uppers with cheap feeling materials usually translates terribly to on the foot performance. SO yeah, they are pretty much making many of these retros niche shoes only for casual wear by the very materials they are using.

It's all illusions really. You may have worn so and so retro as a signature performance shoe 20 years ago. But in its current state, it's probably still somewhat wearable for performance but probably garners the lowest price point on the performance scale. Would you play basketball in payless/walmart shoes?

Are there any other markets out there where a product of old is re introduced only to have lesser features and not be fully functional to what we the consumer remembers?

One article/video that I will never forget is one where these guys cut a Nike Air 180 runner OG in half, along with a retro. Forefoot air was totally missing out of the retro. It's just crazy what they are getting past us.

Stiff uppers with cheap feeling materials usually translates terribly to on the foot performance. SO yeah, they are pretty much making many of these retros niche shoes only for casual wear by the very materials they are using.

It's all illusions really. You may have worn so and so retro as a signature performance shoe 20 years ago. But in its current state, it's probably still somewhat wearable for performance but probably garners the lowest price point on the performance scale. Would you play basketball in payless/walmart shoes?

Are there any other markets out there where a product of old is re introduced only to have lesser features and not be fully functional to what we the consumer remembers?

One article/video that I will never forget is one where these guys cut a Nike Air 180 runner OG in half, along with a retro. Forefoot air was totally missing out of the retro. It's just crazy what they are getting past us.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Nope. Read 80% of the posts on this topic. Retro's are not made for performance, but a cheaper image of what was to rock for a casual statement. 
If I were to wear my 2010 Varsity Red VI's to work, my feet would be all kinds of messed up. Some kicks I won't even wear without some kind of Dr. Scholls insole. Sad, but true. Its the price we pay in current day sneaker culture. 

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Nope. Read 80% of the posts on this topic. Retro's are not made for performance, but a cheaper image of what was to rock for a casual statement. 
If I were to wear my 2010 Varsity Red VI's to work, my feet would be all kinds of messed up. Some kicks I won't even wear without some kind of Dr. Scholls insole. Sad, but true. Its the price we pay in current day sneaker culture. 

you can't compare da VI's to something like foamposite one's, pros, flightposites, etc....those ALL are still 100% capable of being balled in.

you can't compare da VI's to something like foamposite one's, pros, flightposites, etc....those ALL are still 100% capable of being balled in.

The funny thing is that if you go to a high school basketball game, you'll see II's, III's, XI's and V's on the regular.

I caught a bunch of the ESPNU games on Saturday and Monday and that's all I saw.

Back
Top Bottom