Team nekkid or with a case?

• Team nekkid

Votes: 119 26.0%
  • Case

Votes: 282 61.6%
  • Nekkid with occasional case

Votes: 57 12.4%

• Total voters
I would imagine some of those buyers are people who are on gradfathered contracts that they don't want to leave for some reason.

you can get any phone under any plan even if your grandfathered (for ATT). Me and my brother he is on Verizon upgrade with our old plans no problem.

besides most carriers are offering unlimited plans anyways

only thing you cant do is hot spots

people sell iphones on EBay to ship to other countries they have a high resell value there

also some people in the states simply cannot get a carrier plan for reasons..... usually credit related

you can get any phone under any plan even if your grandfathered (for ATT). Me and my brother he is on Verizon upgrade with our old plans no problem.

besides most carriers are offering unlimited plans anyways

only thing you cant do is hot spots

people sell iphones on EBay to ship to other countries they have a high resell value there

also some people in the states simply cannot get a carrier plan for reasons..... usually credit related

Why people still under grandfathered plans ?

IMG_2400.JPG

That weird a** notch gonna mess up the video watching experience

Crazy how the notch actually cuts off the image. :smh:
I really believe they intended to have everything embedded in the display and probably ran into issues.

Crazy how the notch actually cuts off the image. :smh:
I really believe they intended to have everything embedded in the display and probably ran into issues.

Yea I don't feel like going all in on this one for them to only embed the finger scanner in the display and get rid of that notch next year. IMO that face scan **** is supa wack. I'm coming from a 6 so I might just scoop the 8 and call it a day.

Becuase those plans don’t throttle with heavy data usage.

AT&T does. i still have my grandfathered unlimited since the first iphone. i get that text every other month or so when i hit or get near 16gb. they throttle at 20gb

Yeah whoever valued face id over full screen really dropped the ball. John Ive most likely.

I'll be coopping the 8+. Wireless charging and the same glass back of my fave 4 is enough for me to change. coming from a 6, need a bigger screen and not too keen on face id.

Does anyone know how of a difference Dual Optical Image Stabilization vs singular OIS? X has dual OIS while 8 plus only has wide angle OIS.

Does it make that much of a difference for image quality?

i could see them turing that notch into a black bar at the top in an update :lol:

Honestly, I can’t see Apple doing that. It would be admitting a terrible decision, which they generally don’t do. If anything, they’ll double down and keep telling us to “embrace the notch”.

What I can see the XS not having it at all, and they’ll explain it away by touting some new technology that allowed them to streamline the design. I can hear Jony Ive right now. :lol:

You can buy the carrier phone(for me verizon) directly from apple and it won't affect your plan. It's the equivalent of bringing your own device. I had to ask a verizon rep this because I didn't want my plan getting touched.

More Face ID info....
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/15/i...answers-some-burning-questions-about-face-id/

Interview: Apple’s Craig Federighi answers some burning questions about Face ID
Posted Sep 15, 2017 by Matthew Panzarino (@panzer)
3q3a0862.jpg

Face ID is easily the most hot-button topic to come out of Apple’s iPhone event this week, notch be damned. As people have parsed just how serious Apple is about it, questions have rightly begun to be raised about its effectiveness, security and creation.

To get some answers, I hopped on the phone with Apple’s SVP of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi. We went through a bunch of the common concerns in rapid-fire fashion, and I’ve also been asking around and listening to Apple folks who have been using the feature over long periods. Hopefully we can clear up some of the FUD about it.

Making Face ID
Onstage during the event, Apple’s Phil Schiller mentioned that Apple had gathered “a billion” images to train Face ID. Federighi says that Apple went even further than that.

“Phil mentioned that we’d gathered a billion images and that we’d done data gathering around the globe to make sure that we had broad geographic and ethnic data sets. Both for testing and validation for great recognition rates,” says Federighi. “That wasn’t just something you could go pull off the internet.”

Especially given that the data needed to include a high-fidelity depth map of facial data. So, says Federighi, Apple went out and got consent from subjects to provide scans that were “quite exhaustive.” Those scans were taken from many angles and contain a lot of detail that was then used to train the Face ID system.

I asked what Apple did with that training data.

“We do retain a high-fidelity depth map of that [training] data that we protect,” says Federighi. “As we train these models and iterate on these algorithms you want raw sensor data to use and develop and optimize them.”

When it comes to customers — users — Apple gathers absolutely nothing itself. Federighi was very explicit on this point.

“We do not gather customer data when you enroll in Face ID, it stays on your device, we do not send it to the cloud for training data,” he notes.

There is an adaptive feature of Face ID that allows it to continue to recognize your changing face as you change hair styles, grow a beard or have plastic surgery. This adaptation is done completely on device by applying re-training and deep learning in the redesigned Secure Enclave. None of that training or re-training is done in Apple’s cloud. And Apple has stated that it will not give access to that data to anyone, for any price.

Which is a good a time as any to talk about another big topic: security.

The security and privacy of Face ID
One of the primary questions about Face ID that has come from many quarters is how Apple is going to handle law enforcement requests for facial data.

The simple answer, which is identical to the answer for Touch ID, by the way, is that Apple does not even have a way to give it to law enforcement. Apple never takes possession of the data, anonymized or otherwise. When you train the data it gets immediately stored in the Secure Enclave as a mathematical model that cannot be reverse-engineered back into a “model of a face.” Any re-training also happens there. It’s on your device, in your SE, period.

This answers questions about whether Apple is taking stewardship of the data of underage users in the U.S. as well. It isn’t. It stays on device.

I also asked Federighi whether Apple had considered allowing the very security-conscious to enable a mode that forced both Face ID and a passcode to be used to unlock a device. A sort of two-factor identification that combined both numeric and biometric factors into one system.

“We’ve definitely talked about it internally,” says Federighi. “We have people who are interested [in that].”

He points out that there are scenarios you’d need to account for, like shaving your “mountain man” beard and needing access. “The thing we’d need to do is you’d need a backup super-long passcode… but it’s certainly something that gets discussed.”

So, not for now, but the topic has come up.

I also quizzed Federighi about the exact way you “quick disabled” Face ID in tricky scenarios — like being stopped by police, or being asked by a thief to hand over your device.

recognize a man’s hand because his skin was dark. Apple has gone through some efforts in hardware and software to make sure that this doesn’t happen with Face ID. How it works once it gets out to millions of people we’ll have to wait to see.

As far as the TrueDepth camera, there are also some side benefits for developers that use ARKit or the depth map to create effects.

“With both the rear-facing cameras and front-facing system [on iPhone X] we expose to developers a depth map, so ARKit will take depth from a photo and create a mesh, but it’s not raw sensor data. It’s depth that can be used for photographic effects,” says Federighi when I ask about other uses for the array. “It’s designed to be very good at close range where the rear-facing cameras are good at greater distances. It’s different technology with a different purpose — as far as selfie range — the probing dot pattern provides a great solution [for a depth map].”

For those of you who are ARKit developers out there, the system will use a fusion of RGB data with the IR data to give you that mesh. This will allow for enhanced effects and accuracy using the TrueDepth camera array.

The Face ID story so far
Obviously, most people have not had a chance to use Face ID yet and there are a lot more questions. But many of those will likely get answered automatically as people are actually able to put it into practice and start learning the ins and outs of the system.

The fact of the matter is that there is likely an outsized amount of skepticism about Face ID because other manufacturers like Samsung have shipped versions of facial recognition that are, frankly, crap. If it can be fooled by a simple photo, what the hell are you doing shipping it at all?

Face ID is not a simple image recognition system. It looks at a three-dimensional model of your entire face, recognizing features at a level of detail high enough that Apple is confident that masks will not fool it. It’s a different ballgame entirely.

The rewards for making security (a passcode) incredibly easy for people to implement and use on a daily basis are enormous. The vast majority of people still use common passwords and don’t enable two-factor authentication on any of their devices. The amount of work that Touch ID has done and Face ID will do to improve the security of regular users is huge.

This is clearly Apple’s play for the future, and, like Apple commentator John Gruber, I’ve heard that Apple has not intended on including any Touch ID-based authentication in the iPhone X for a very long time.

I’ll probably dissect this further down the line, but there is also massive potential for the Face ID system to bloom into a boom of intent-based computing. If our devices know who we are with authority and constancy, what kinds of interactions are we able to have with them securely and automatically?

Contextual computing has been chugging along for quite a while now without a huge breakthrough to allow our devices to become more aware. Face ID just might be opening another enormous door here. But, of course, with any door you have to ask about the consequences of opening it and who holds the keys.

Apple’s Face ID processes mirror very closely those they developed for Touch ID. And, even though there are caveats, those have largely stood up to probing from security researchers and nation states alike.

It’s important to ask the questions and listen carefully to the answers. But so far, the answers seem fairly plain.

I was thinking of getting a watch too.

Is it through Bluetooth? If it is. Can I connect my beats and the watch simultaneously?

Back
Top Bottom