Apartments vs Houses, what are some pros and cons for both?

BlackStilettos wrote:
The apartment wasn't expensive at all. However, I honestly don't think I understand your question. My point is that cleanliness and pest issues are something that's augmented  substantially when you increase the amount of people that occupy a living space, especially when said people don't keep their areas clean. Living in a house, I obviously would be able to keep pest issues to a minimum because I control what goes on in my space. Living in an apartment, I was unable to do that, and I had to deal with pest issues even though I was very clean. That bothered me a lot.

I agree- how many apartment units are in your building makes a big difference.  My current complex has a 2+2 layout.  One unit upper, one unit lower and a deck connects my side with the other side's upper and lower units.  Noise is nonexistent since I don't share any common walls and I'm in an upper unit.  Compare that to some of the dorm style units with neighbors on all sides.  No noise issues, trash issues, crap like that.

Originally Posted by jschue

BlackStilettos wrote:
The apartment wasn't expensive at all. However, I honestly don't think I understand your question. My point is that cleanliness and pest issues are something that's augmented  substantially when you increase the amount of people that occupy a living space, especially when said people don't keep their areas clean. Living in a house, I obviously would be able to keep pest issues to a minimum because I control what goes on in my space. Living in an apartment, I was unable to do that, and I had to deal with pest issues even though I was very clean. That bothered me a lot.

I agree- how many apartment units are in your building makes a big difference.  My current complex has a 2+2 layout.  One unit upper, one unit lower and a deck connects my side with the other side's upper and lower units.  Noise is nonexistent since I don't share any common walls and I'm in an upper unit.  Compare that to some of the dorm style units with neighbors on all sides.  No noise issues, trash issues, crap like that.

Oh, wow! That's nice. If I absolutely had to live in apartment, your set-up would seem ideal.

BlackStilettos wrote:

Oh, wow! That's nice. If I absolutely had to live in apartment, your set-up would seem ideal.

Depends on longevity of your stay in an area. I can easily afford a house right now but I'm not buying. Since I've graduated from college in 2005 I've moved about every year and a half/2 years for my job. Moving out of an apartment is easy, you just wait till that lease is up. Moving from a house or condo that you own is a lot trickier. If you don't time it right or can't sell you'll end up paying 2 mortgages.

Also I think it depends on WHY you want a house. A good reason to buy a house would be freedom to make changes or the ability to call it 'yours'. A bad reason would be to buy a house and think of it as an investment. The days of flipping houses is over (at least until housing market rebounds).

I feel you. I didn't buy my house as an investment but now I have to sell and it's killing me. I had no plans on flipping or leaving the city, but a promotional opportunity came up in a different city. What I didn't realize is that corporations are cutting back on their relocation packages, and if you have a house they aren't really covering your costs unless you're director level or higher. Had I known that, I would have never bought. What I learned is you shouldn't buy a house unless you are willing to sacrifice career options (which I wasn't).

Depends on longevity of your stay in an area. I can easily afford a house right now but I'm not buying. Since I've graduated from college in 2005 I've moved about every year and a half/2 years for my job. Moving out of an apartment is easy, you just wait till that lease is up. Moving from a house or condo that you own is a lot trickier. If you don't time it right or can't sell you'll end up paying 2 mortgages.

Also I think it depends on WHY you want a house. A good reason to buy a house would be freedom to make changes or the ability to call it 'yours'. A bad reason would be to buy a house and think of it as an investment. The days of flipping houses is over (at least until housing market rebounds).

I feel you. I didn't buy my house as an investment but now I have to sell and it's killing me. I had no plans on flipping or leaving the city, but a promotional opportunity came up in a different city. What I didn't realize is that corporations are cutting back on their relocation packages, and if you have a house they aren't really covering your costs unless you're director level or higher. Had I known that, I would have never bought. What I learned is you shouldn't buy a house unless you are willing to sacrifice career options (which I wasn't).

I own a home, pros

-be as loud as you want
-knowing that you're money is going towards YOU owning, not towards your landlord's mortgage
-you can change anything you want and don't have to worry about someone's approval
-TAAAXXXX BRREEEAAAKKKSSSSS
-Obama Money
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-privacy (no pitter patter of feet above you )
-no pet deposits, car deposits, etc.
-garage space (more storage space in general)
-no BS about how many visitors you can have, worrying about where your visitors are going to park, gate codes, etc.)
-can rent out rooms and whatnot and that money is yours, don't need to ask approval

cons
-*@+% get broke, you are responsible for fixing it...there's no "maintenance man"
-more expensive in terms of just looking at month to month
-worrying about insurance, warranty, utilities, etc.

other than that, I love living in a house. It's just something about knowing something is "yours" in a sense, you know? And given that I've been in the landlord's shoes, and KNOWING what I've spent that ladies rent on. Seriously, your rent isn't doing nothing but supporting somebody elses lifestyle. I'd use her rent money to fix up my side, you know? And you can't be mad, cuz that's how it goes
laugh.gif
don't go thinking her side looks busted, cuz it doesn't. 

I own a home, pros

-be as loud as you want
-knowing that you're money is going towards YOU owning, not towards your landlord's mortgage
-you can change anything you want and don't have to worry about someone's approval
-TAAAXXXX BRREEEAAAKKKSSSSS
-Obama Money
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-privacy (no pitter patter of feet above you )
-no pet deposits, car deposits, etc.
-garage space (more storage space in general)
-no BS about how many visitors you can have, worrying about where your visitors are going to park, gate codes, etc.)
-can rent out rooms and whatnot and that money is yours, don't need to ask approval

cons
-*@+% get broke, you are responsible for fixing it...there's no "maintenance man"
-more expensive in terms of just looking at month to month
-worrying about insurance, warranty, utilities, etc.

other than that, I love living in a house. It's just something about knowing something is "yours" in a sense, you know? And given that I've been in the landlord's shoes, and KNOWING what I've spent that ladies rent on. Seriously, your rent isn't doing nothing but supporting somebody elses lifestyle. I'd use her rent money to fix up my side, you know? And you can't be mad, cuz that's how it goes
laugh.gif
don't go thinking her side looks busted, cuz it doesn't. 

Originally Posted by GatorBeltsNPattieMelts
When I drop money on a home I'm doing the EXACT plan you are- buy a duplex or something that I can rent out half and have the renter pay the mortgage.  If you don't mind me asking what's the % your renter pays of the mortgage?  Is it a lot of hassle being a landlord?  What's the set up like- do you own a duplex, rent out a basement?

When I drop money on a home I'm doing the EXACT plan you are- buy a duplex or something that I can rent out half and have the renter pay the mortgage.  If you don't mind me asking what's the % your renter pays of the mortgage?  Is it a lot of hassle being a landlord?  What's the set up like- do you own a duplex, rent out a basement?

I've had an apartment and now I own a house.
Pro's: 

No one connected to you.  You can play your music or party or whatever

You can fix it up the way you want it.

Its a good investment.

Con's: 

Yardwork

Paying taxes on it

Its an alot harder decision taking a job in another state, because of the hassle of selling your house.

I've had an apartment and now I own a house.
Pro's: 

No one connected to you.  You can play your music or party or whatever

You can fix it up the way you want it.

Its a good investment.

Con's: 

Yardwork

Paying taxes on it

Its an alot harder decision taking a job in another state, because of the hassle of selling your house.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I prefer apartments. I honestly dont see myself purchasing a house until much later from now or unless I had a large family.
Same here. I don't subscribe to the idea that the American dream is to own a home. As long as I am somewhere comfortable, clean, and in a good area and relatively cheap, I am ok.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I prefer apartments. I honestly dont see myself purchasing a house until much later from now or unless I had a large family.
Same here. I don't subscribe to the idea that the American dream is to own a home. As long as I am somewhere comfortable, clean, and in a good area and relatively cheap, I am ok.

Apartment/condo. I honestly don't ever see myself living in an individual. I'd def live in a 2 or 3 bedroom condo even if I had a family.

Apartment/condo. I honestly don't ever see myself living in an individual. I'd def live in a 2 or 3 bedroom condo even if I had a family.

she left so I have no renter (stroke
frown.gif
)  but her rent was 800, my property manager got 70 of that. My mortgage is 980 (I put money on the principal though, so I paid 1080.00) With all that being said, you can pretty much see she was dang near paying for it.

I own a duplex, I live in the smaller unit (that way I can get as much rent as possible) . I have a property manager (DO THIS!!!!!) They are the face of the property...it's like havin' a CEO...even though you own the company, they just run the day to day stuff.  My renter didn't even know I owned it, as far as she knew, I just lived there. Rent was paid to my stepdad (my property manager) and he then gave it to me. She called him when she needed something etc. He'd tell me, then I'd give him the money to give to whatever services needed to be rendered.  He'd set up appointments for whatever, and sometimes I didn't even need to be there.  Best set up.  He's very good at what he does, so make sure you ask around and find a good person. They must be stern and understanding---your renter must have the impression that your property manager is the one who is in control and that if they are late on the rent it's their *$@.  None of that "oh gimme until next week etc."

truth be told though, I can afford this place without the rent. I don't need it, it's just nice to have---it's like having a side hustle you don't have to work for.   NEVER by a duplex you can't afford on your own, cuz renters move and you don't wanna be struggling living above your means.

and in terms of yardwork?
laugh.gif
HIRE SOMEBODY. My man cuts the grass for 30, and I get it cut like every 2-3 weeks. That ain't nothing.

she left so I have no renter (stroke
frown.gif
)  but her rent was 800, my property manager got 70 of that. My mortgage is 980 (I put money on the principal though, so I paid 1080.00) With all that being said, you can pretty much see she was dang near paying for it.

I own a duplex, I live in the smaller unit (that way I can get as much rent as possible) . I have a property manager (DO THIS!!!!!) They are the face of the property...it's like havin' a CEO...even though you own the company, they just run the day to day stuff.  My renter didn't even know I owned it, as far as she knew, I just lived there. Rent was paid to my stepdad (my property manager) and he then gave it to me. She called him when she needed something etc. He'd tell me, then I'd give him the money to give to whatever services needed to be rendered.  He'd set up appointments for whatever, and sometimes I didn't even need to be there.  Best set up.  He's very good at what he does, so make sure you ask around and find a good person. They must be stern and understanding---your renter must have the impression that your property manager is the one who is in control and that if they are late on the rent it's their *$@.  None of that "oh gimme until next week etc."

truth be told though, I can afford this place without the rent. I don't need it, it's just nice to have---it's like having a side hustle you don't have to work for.   NEVER by a duplex you can't afford on your own, cuz renters move and you don't wanna be struggling living above your means.

and in terms of yardwork?
laugh.gif
HIRE SOMEBODY. My man cuts the grass for 30, and I get it cut like every 2-3 weeks. That ain't nothing.

alot of ya aren't taking into account into how many people have loss their homes to foreclosure....its ugly out there 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

alot of ya aren't taking into account into how many people have loss their homes to foreclosure....its ugly out there 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

laugh.gif
sick.gif

real talk, people who did that were LIVING ABOVE THEIR MEANS, and wasn't paying attention to the loan they were getting
30t6p3b.gif
People gettin balloon notes and what not...buying houses where the mortgage is 1000, and you bringing in 1500....dumb stuff like that. 

the market right now is PERFECT for smart, sound buyers.  I bought my duplex because it was a foreclosure, bought it for 99, 500. I basically just bought two houses for the price of one
sick.gif
That's DISGUSTING when you think about it...... prices right now are low.  Like i said, if you are smart, now is the time to get into it.  I don't plan on flipping it, but I know that the value will go up just based on what little improvements I've done.  It's like dude said---if you tryna flip and get rich quick, then don't do it, it's not "there" yet. But if you are honestly looking to settle and make a sound investment, now is the time more than ever.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

laugh.gif
sick.gif

real talk, people who did that were LIVING ABOVE THEIR MEANS, and wasn't paying attention to the loan they were getting
30t6p3b.gif
People gettin balloon notes and what not...buying houses where the mortgage is 1000, and you bringing in 1500....dumb stuff like that. 

the market right now is PERFECT for smart, sound buyers.  I bought my duplex because it was a foreclosure, bought it for 99, 500. I basically just bought two houses for the price of one
sick.gif
That's DISGUSTING when you think about it...... prices right now are low.  Like i said, if you are smart, now is the time to get into it.  I don't plan on flipping it, but I know that the value will go up just based on what little improvements I've done.  It's like dude said---if you tryna flip and get rich quick, then don't do it, it's not "there" yet. But if you are honestly looking to settle and make a sound investment, now is the time more than ever.

I live with my parents in a triple decker, when I'm not at my apartment near skool.

Living in the hood means loud music at night
mad.gif

I live with my parents in a triple decker, when I'm not at my apartment near skool.

Living in the hood means loud music at night
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom