Apartments vs Houses, what are some pros and cons for both?

what are some pros and cons to living in apartments, and some pros and cons living in an actual house.

alot of ppl out here favor houses, or will tell you when they were small that they always wanted to get one when they got older...then there's some that love the apartment life, and don't think about houses.

I'm one that always wanted a house of his own.....eventually it'll happen when this degree get's in my hands.

what are some pros and cons to living in apartments, and some pros and cons living in an actual house.

alot of ppl out here favor houses, or will tell you when they were small that they always wanted to get one when they got older...then there's some that love the apartment life, and don't think about houses.

I'm one that always wanted a house of his own.....eventually it'll happen when this degree get's in my hands.

I love the whole idea of living downtown so Condos/Apartments/Lofts are my type of thing. Depends on your lifestyle. If you are a family person a house is the only way to go. If you are a bachelor or a urban couple look into NICE condos.

I love the whole idea of living downtown so Condos/Apartments/Lofts are my type of thing. Depends on your lifestyle. If you are a family person a house is the only way to go. If you are a bachelor or a urban couple look into NICE condos.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

condo's are nice, unless you live in NY, I heard the cost of living there is crazy.
indifferent.gif

condo's are nice, unless you live in NY, I heard the cost of living there is crazy.
indifferent.gif

Depends on longevity of your stay in an area. I can easily afford a house right now but I'm not buying. Since I've graduated from college in 2005 I've moved about every year and a half/2 years for my job. Moving out of an apartment is easy, you just wait till that lease is up. Moving from a house or condo that you own is a lot trickier. If you don't time it right or can't sell you'll end up paying 2 mortgages.

Also I think it depends on WHY you want a house. A good reason to buy a house would be freedom to make changes or the ability to call it 'yours'. A bad reason would be to buy a house and think of it as an investment. The days of flipping houses is over (at least until housing market rebounds).

Depends on longevity of your stay in an area. I can easily afford a house right now but I'm not buying. Since I've graduated from college in 2005 I've moved about every year and a half/2 years for my job. Moving out of an apartment is easy, you just wait till that lease is up. Moving from a house or condo that you own is a lot trickier. If you don't time it right or can't sell you'll end up paying 2 mortgages.

Also I think it depends on WHY you want a house. A good reason to buy a house would be freedom to make changes or the ability to call it 'yours'. A bad reason would be to buy a house and think of it as an investment. The days of flipping houses is over (at least until housing market rebounds).

If you get an apartment, make sure its on the highest level or else you will have to deal with the noise of the people above you.

If you get an apartment, make sure its on the highest level or else you will have to deal with the noise of the people above you.

I wouldn't want to do apartment living because 1) noise levels, 2) possible pest issues. You can't control how trashy or clean people in your apartment building are, and if they are any mice or roach issues, it's really beyond your control. I lived in an apartment by myself in college, and the people in my building were loud and ridiculous. We also had a mice problem, and even though I kept my place really clean, I knew other people didn't (like the chick who lived on my floor and constantly left trash bags outside of her apartment. It's like she thought someone was going to come pick it up. I finally had to speak to environmental services and the landlord.

I definitely want a house. There is just no way around it. Apartment living is not for me, and I'd love to have my own property, my own backyard, my own porch, etc.

Originally Posted by jschue

I hope it stays over for the general public. That is the reason for this issue every mary sue and jim thought they could be realtors/investors. Stuff like that should be left to pros/people who are willing to take losses on it.

I wouldn't want to do apartment living because 1) noise levels, 2) possible pest issues. You can't control how trashy or clean people in your apartment building are, and if they are any mice or roach issues, it's really beyond your control. I lived in an apartment by myself in college, and the people in my building were loud and ridiculous. We also had a mice problem, and even though I kept my place really clean, I knew other people didn't (like the chick who lived on my floor and constantly left trash bags outside of her apartment. It's like she thought someone was going to come pick it up. I finally had to speak to environmental services and the landlord.

I definitely want a house. There is just no way around it. Apartment living is not for me, and I'd love to have my own property, my own backyard, my own porch, etc.

Originally Posted by jschue

I hope it stays over for the general public. That is the reason for this issue every mary sue and jim thought they could be realtors/investors. Stuff like that should be left to pros/people who are willing to take losses on it.

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

How expensive was the apartment? If that money was spent on renting a house lets say do you think your environment would be much better? Doubt it.

How expensive was the apartment? If that money was spent on renting a house lets say do you think your environment would be much better? Doubt it.

I prefer apartments. I honestly dont see myself purchasing a house until much later from now or unless I had a large family.

I prefer apartments. I honestly dont see myself purchasing a house until much later from now or unless I had a large family.

The apartment wasn't expensive at all. However, I honestly don't think I understand your question. My point is that cleanliness and pest issues are something that's augmented  substantially when you increase the amount of people that occupy a living space, especially when said people don't keep their areas clean. Living in a house, I obviously would be able to keep pest issues to a minimum because I control what goes on in my space. Living in an apartment, I was unable to do that, and I had to deal with pest issues even though I was very clean. That bothered me a lot.

The apartment wasn't expensive at all. However, I honestly don't think I understand your question. My point is that cleanliness and pest issues are something that's augmented  substantially when you increase the amount of people that occupy a living space, especially when said people don't keep their areas clean. Living in a house, I obviously would be able to keep pest issues to a minimum because I control what goes on in my space. Living in an apartment, I was unable to do that, and I had to deal with pest issues even though I was very clean. That bothered me a lot.

Originally Posted by Chrisphreezy

you have never lied
mad.gif
dealing with that right now.

Originally Posted by Chrisphreezy

you have never lied
mad.gif
dealing with that right now.

BlackStilettos wrote:

I agree- how many apartment units are in your building makes a big difference.  My current complex has a 2+2 layout.  One unit upper, one unit lower and a deck connects my side with the other side's upper and lower units.  Noise is nonexistent since I don't share any common walls and I'm in an upper unit.  Compare that to some of the dorm style units with neighbors on all sides.  No noise issues, trash issues, crap like that.

Back
Top Bottom