Anyone trying to become a doctor

Congrats, TypeRPinoY.

RC103DC, umm, maybe PM me.
nerd.gif
And I see you're rocking my Lost sig.
nerd.gif

This thread got a 16 year old student aspiring to become a doctor kind of depressed, yet I feel motivated and up to the challenge. Cant wait for college, late night study sessions at the library yes!
glasses.gif

This thread got a 16 year old student aspiring to become a doctor kind of depressed, yet I feel motivated and up to the challenge. Cant wait for college, late night study sessions at the library yes!
glasses.gif

Despite tr relief of knowing I will be an anesthesiology resident somewhere, I'm just as if not more anxious now than I was yesterday. Waiting to find out where you matched is just as waiting to find out if you matched.

Despite tr relief of knowing I will be an anesthesiology resident somewhere, I'm just as if not more anxious now than I was yesterday. Waiting to find out where you matched is just as waiting to find out if you matched.

if you live in cali then i say its worth going to med school cuz its free for cali residents, then you wont be coming out of school with so much debt. Residents make $40k for 4 years, then you make more than 5 times that after a couple years. But in all honesty if youre doing it for the money, then you probably dont like medicine, and youre not going to do well. people generally do excell in the things they like. and if you become a doctor, as a resident youll be on call all the time and have the worst hours possible. so it helps of youre actually passionate about it.
http://www.alliedphysicia...lary-surveys/physicians/

(link for doctor salaries)

if you live in cali then i say its worth going to med school cuz its free for cali residents, then you wont be coming out of school with so much debt. Residents make $40k for 4 years, then you make more than 5 times that after a couple years. But in all honesty if youre doing it for the money, then you probably dont like medicine, and youre not going to do well. people generally do excell in the things they like. and if you become a doctor, as a resident youll be on call all the time and have the worst hours possible. so it helps of youre actually passionate about it.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Honestly I care more about matching in a particular specialty, than WHERE I match. Am I the only one who feels that way? Maybe I'm just not that ambitious....we'll see how my step 1 scores turn out before I get picky.
laugh.gif

Honestly I care more about matching in a particular specialty, than WHERE I match. Am I the only one who feels that way? Maybe I'm just not that ambitious....we'll see how my step 1 scores turn out before I get picky.
laugh.gif

why are people acting like staying in school til your 30 is a bad thing? ESPECIALLY when you're trying to be something very important like a doctor.

1. No one is going to knock a 26,27,28,29 year old man for still going to college, and they def won't knock one who's going to college to be a doctor.
2. At the end of the day, you still get to play a big big BIG role into helping people (i'm talking saving lives)
3. If you ever have kids, it's a good possibility with good money management they will be well off, they won't even need to worry about loans once they too decide to go to college because you their father as a doctor would have already taken care of that.
4. Alot of people wish they were still IN college after they got their degree and left, so staying a little longer can be a good thing, keep's you busy.
5. You can make new friend's (alot of people don't have 1 good friend, hell some folks don't even talk to their family)
6. Time doesn't stand still for nobody, I remember New Year's like it was yesterday, heck I remember LAST YEAR"S new year's like it was yesterday, you'll be 30 in no time, it really isn't that long lol.
7. You'll have it made in the shade.

thinking about switching mine to be a doctor, still deciding.

why are people acting like staying in school til your 30 is a bad thing? ESPECIALLY when you're trying to be something very important like a doctor.

1. No one is going to knock a 26,27,28,29 year old man for still going to college, and they def won't knock one who's going to college to be a doctor.
2. At the end of the day, you still get to play a big big BIG role into helping people (i'm talking saving lives)
3. If you ever have kids, it's a good possibility with good money management they will be well off, they won't even need to worry about loans once they too decide to go to college because you their father as a doctor would have already taken care of that.
4. Alot of people wish they were still IN college after they got their degree and left, so staying a little longer can be a good thing, keep's you busy.
5. You can make new friend's (alot of people don't have 1 good friend, hell some folks don't even talk to their family)
6. Time doesn't stand still for nobody, I remember New Year's like it was yesterday, heck I remember LAST YEAR"S new year's like it was yesterday, you'll be 30 in no time, it really isn't that long lol.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif

It's all relative. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled that I matched. But I was very selective regionally in my applications and I got interviews at top tier programs in NYC and mid to low tier programs in the region as well. So it's quite a drop off in terms of continuing my education at a big time university hospital in manhattan or a small community program on long island or in jersey. Truth of the matter is an anesthesiologist from the former will be more likely to get the fellowship or job of his choice than the latter.

laugh.gif

It's all relative. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled that I matched. But I was very selective regionally in my applications and I got interviews at top tier programs in NYC and mid to low tier programs in the region as well. So it's quite a drop off in terms of continuing my education at a big time university hospital in manhattan or a small community program on long island or in jersey. Truth of the matter is an anesthesiologist from the former will be more likely to get the fellowship or job of his choice than the latter.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Med school is NOTHING like college....anyone going into med school with that mentality is setting themselves up for monumental Ls.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Med school is NOTHING like college....anyone going into med school with that mentality is setting themselves up for monumental Ls.

Originally Posted by mpjhballer8

i have no idea what you are talking about or where you are getting any of this info you just typed. you make it sound like getting into a california medical school is like applying for a job at mcdonalds. california schools are among the most difficult to get into in the country. there's a reason east coast schools have an abundance of california students enrolled. i would say that more california residents leave the state out of necessity than stay and get accepted into california med schools. plus, they are far from free. instate tuition at most UCs is still close to 20k. 

$40k x4 years? not quite. Residents are on a graduated salary and you earn more with each year. Most of the programs I applied to start between $42-48k and go up to near $60k or more by the time i would graduate from my residency. 

on call all the time? you definitely work a lot, but with the new ACGME regulations interns can't work more than 16 hours straight, that's in addition to the 80 hour work week regulations. sure you have a few places that are malignant and tell you to fudge your numbers, but the vast majority of programs make sure you dont violate those rules. and if you come close they give you days off. hell, the residents i'm in the ICU with are on a q3 call schedule right now with each one getting an extra day off during the week so they dont violate their 80 hours.

lastly, that link you posted is beyond outdated. that information is from pre-2006. the aamc careers in medicine website has much more accurate and up to date information about current physician salaries.

/end rant

Originally Posted by mpjhballer8

i have no idea what you are talking about or where you are getting any of this info you just typed. you make it sound like getting into a california medical school is like applying for a job at mcdonalds. california schools are among the most difficult to get into in the country. there's a reason east coast schools have an abundance of california students enrolled. i would say that more california residents leave the state out of necessity than stay and get accepted into california med schools. plus, they are far from free. instate tuition at most UCs is still close to 20k. 

$40k x4 years? not quite. Residents are on a graduated salary and you earn more with each year. Most of the programs I applied to start between $42-48k and go up to near $60k or more by the time i would graduate from my residency. 

on call all the time? you definitely work a lot, but with the new ACGME regulations interns can't work more than 16 hours straight, that's in addition to the 80 hour work week regulations. sure you have a few places that are malignant and tell you to fudge your numbers, but the vast majority of programs make sure you dont violate those rules. and if you come close they give you days off. hell, the residents i'm in the ICU with are on a q3 call schedule right now with each one getting an extra day off during the week so they dont violate their 80 hours.

lastly, that link you posted is beyond outdated. that information is from pre-2006. the aamc careers in medicine website has much more accurate and up to date information about current physician salaries.

/end rant

laugh.gif

I feel you, I'd be heated if I ended up in Mississippi. Like I said, I'm gonna have to wait till 4th year to weight my strengths as an applicant against my options. Id eventually like to practice in  place like Cali if possible.

laugh.gif

I feel you, I'd be heated if I ended up in Mississippi. Like I said, I'm gonna have to wait till 4th year to weight my strengths as an applicant against my options. Id eventually like to practice in  place like Cali if possible.

honestly....people will tell you that you have time, but waiting until fourth year is kind of pushing it. you're going to want to know what kind of a candidate you are for the specialty you want by the middle of third year when you can schedule you away rotations fourth year. that way you know what programs you should be looking at and where it would help to get a foot in the door by spending a month at.

Back
Top Bottom