Anyone trying to become a doctor

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

newmoanyuh wrote:
Thinking about becoming a neurosurgeon, but I know I won't be winning 'til I'm in my 30's at the earliest, with no time off anywhere in between
30t6p3b.gif
.  I think I'm going to wait until after I'm done with my BA to decide if I'm going to med. school... If not, I'll still have my other major/alternate life-plan.
BA to neurosurgeon?  Interesting choice. 

Yeah, most people look at me crazy when they find I'm a Chinese major and I want to become a neurosurgeon
laugh.gif
but it makes complete sense to me:
My career choices aren't limited
I'm set apart from the other med. school applicants
and I have more options abroad.

Anyone ever considered doing an MD/PhD program? I never hear it being discussed much, and I'm not sure if that's because people don't know what it is, or if people just choose not to go that route. I'm in my 2nd year, and although I have about 6 more years of school to go, I'll be coming out debt free. Just throwing it out there.

Anyone ever considered doing an MD/PhD program? I never hear it being discussed much, and I'm not sure if that's because people don't know what it is, or if people just choose not to go that route. I'm in my 2nd year, and although I have about 6 more years of school to go, I'll be coming out debt free. Just throwing it out there.

Originally Posted by RC103DC

Not a fan of research like that so nope didnt consider it, plus for what I was wanting to do it wouldnt really benefit me any.

Not a fan of research like that so nope didnt consider it, plus for what I was wanting to do it wouldnt really benefit me any.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Yeah, I understand it's not for everyone. I did a lot of research in high school/ undergrad, and I love it, so this was a natural fit for me. Sometimes we get flack from other med students for not being "real doctors" or get taunted about being lab rats, but I don't mind. I know lots of MDs that go on to do research w/o being in an MD/PhD program, and still do great work. I just think there's a difference in training/thought process. 

Yeah, I understand it's not for everyone. I did a lot of research in high school/ undergrad, and I love it, so this was a natural fit for me. Sometimes we get flack from other med students for not being "real doctors" or get taunted about being lab rats, but I don't mind. I know lots of MDs that go on to do research w/o being in an MD/PhD program, and still do great work. I just think there's a difference in training/thought process. 

IM just glad so many of us have already made it and obtained an MD and in all diff specialties, with many more on our heels. We could start our own group of all specialites (NT Medicine) Im the radiologist so I can read all the films, we got our ER doc in Three00z, we have cardiologist/peds in hodog. So we need a surgeon, ob/gyn <---anton thats all you, an internal med doc and we can build from there. Talk about the illegality of self referral.

IM just glad so many of us have already made it and obtained an MD and in all diff specialties, with many more on our heels. We could start our own group of all specialites (NT Medicine) Im the radiologist so I can read all the films, we got our ER doc in Three00z, we have cardiologist/peds in hodog. So we need a surgeon, ob/gyn <---anton thats all you, an internal med doc and we can build from there. Talk about the illegality of self referral.

We could start our own diagnostic team, word to House. No one would fund 8 doctors spending all day tryna solve one case but it would make one hell of a reality show.
laugh.gif

We could start our own diagnostic team, word to House. No one would fund 8 doctors spending all day tryna solve one case but it would make one hell of a reality show.
laugh.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Three00ZeeX: Doing well, glad to see you are too. Finishing up my regular fellowship in June and then going into a one year fellowship in electrophysiology. PGY 7! [/font]
laugh.gif

Good thing I graduated with zero debt 
wink.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Three00ZeeX: Doing well, glad to see you are too. Finishing up my regular fellowship in June and then going into a one year fellowship in electrophysiology. PGY 7! [/font]
laugh.gif

Good thing I graduated with zero debt 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

newmoanyuh wrote:
Thinking about becoming a neurosurgeon, but I know I won't be winning 'til I'm in my 30's at the earliest, with no time off anywhere in between
30t6p3b.gif
.  I think I'm going to wait until after I'm done with my BA to decide if I'm going to med. school... If not, I'll still have my other major/alternate life-plan.
Yeah, most people look at me crazy when they find I'm a Chinese major and I want to become a neurosurgeon
laugh.gif

I have a BA in English and have my sights set on becoming an ENT. We'll see how that pans out after Step 2 though......

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

newmoanyuh wrote:
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

I have a BA in English and have my sights set on becoming an ENT. We'll see how that pans out after Step 2 though......

Originally Posted by Hodog16

laugh.gif

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Good thing I graduated with zero debt 
wink.gif
[/color]
you put Anton on suicide watch.

Originally Posted by Hodog16

laugh.gif

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Good thing I graduated with zero debt 
wink.gif
[/color]
you put Anton on suicide watch.

don't post much, but just a 3rd year checking in. just wanted to chime in saying that you don't necessarily have to give up having a life to pursue medicine. i had a kid after 1st year, then another after 2nd and everything is going great. if you can accomplish getting in, there's no reason you can't engineer a life outside of medicine. most people can't understand how i do it, but where there's a will there is a way.

don't post much, but just a 3rd year checking in. just wanted to chime in saying that you don't necessarily have to give up having a life to pursue medicine. i had a kid after 1st year, then another after 2nd and everything is going great. if you can accomplish getting in, there's no reason you can't engineer a life outside of medicine. most people can't understand how i do it, but where there's a will there is a way.

Back
Top Bottom