Anyone have a 4k Ultra HD television? Help

No it'll make the picture quality slightly worse. Its a little similar to how PQ was when viewing an SD signal on a 720/1080 tv when they were first released. Best to view 1080 on a 1080 tv, 4k source with 4k tv, etc.

Falsified information

Personal experience speaking
I have a 65 900e and watch hd (1080i) cable threw it and it most definitely upgrades the picture. Most 4k tvs besides the very low end upgrades all content it receives to a certain point.

People please do research. There are multiple independent sites that do reviews and comparisons. I trust "rtings.com" the most as I have said before.
Example -rtings has a sample picture for 90% of the where they will input different signals into the tv (780, 1080i/p, blue ray and 4k etc) and they will show pics and explain how the tv does with upconverting the input signal to look alot better.

yep I also rec that people look at the reviews for the TV they plan to buy on Rtings.com

They also love the TCL P series and I happily own it.

Falsified information

Personal experience speaking
I have a 65 900e and watch hd (1080i) cable threw it and it most definitely upgrades the picture. Most 4k tvs besides the very low end upgrades all content it receives to a certain point.

People please do research. There are multiple independent sites that do reviews and comparisons. I trust "rtings.com" the most as I have said before.
Example -rtings has a sample picture for 90% of the where they will input different signals into the tv (780, 1080i/p, blue ray and 4k etc) and they will show pics and explain how the tv does with upconverting the input signal to look alot better.

Falsified information? LOL, not entirely. His question was about the picture being clearer via Comcast, when in fact the picture could turn out to be softer than compared to viewing on a 1080 tv. I've research Rtings and AV forums too. I currently have an LG OLED, so upconversion might not be as good as Sonys, but a majority will see soft images or no increase in PQ. Personally speaking if your source is Comcast, viewing on a 4k tv is a step below from viewing on a 1080 (OLED displays details, colors, etc are excellent/better, but not as sharp/clear as 1080), but regular Blu Ray looks excellent on 4k. If youre an AV forum member you know that countless members will tell you matching the tv output with the source will give you the best PQ. From Rtings:
To present lower-resolution material on a 4k TV, the TV has to perform a process called upscaling. This process increases the pixel count of a lower-resolution image, allowing a picture meant for a screen with fewer pixels to fit a screen with many more. It’s important to remember that since the amount of information in the signal doesn’t change, there won’t be more detail present.

The first image is a 1080p picture upscaled to 4k on the Vizio M, and the second is a native 1080p image on the Vizio E.

The Vizio M’s upscaling resulted in a bit of added smoothness, but overall the two images look very similar. There isn’t any more detail in the upscaled picture than you can see in the native 1080p picture, so whether or not it looks better is entirely subjective.

Not every TV upscales the same though. Some 4k TVs might produce an image that is a too soft. This doesn't mean that 4k is inherently worse since most TVs do not have this problem, but it is important to make sure the model you're buying doesn't have any issue with this before going through with the purchase.
If you're shopping for a TV today, a 4k TV is worth buying over a 1080p TV, provided you sit close enough to see the extra detail and are watching native UHD content. If you're only watching 1080p or even smaller resolution content, it won't give you a boost in quality. If you currently own a good 1080p TV and don't sit close enough to notice the pixels, it isn't worth spending money as you will probably not benefit much from the upgrade unless you spend for fancy features such as local dimming, OLED, and HDR.

Nowadays though, it is difficult to find anything other than a 4k TV. 1080p is usually reserved for cheap budget options and all the better TVs will have a UHD resolution. Premium features named earlier are not found on lower resolutions anymore.

Lastly from Rtings:
A TV will generally perform better at its native resolution, as it is not necessary to upscale. There are no TVs which do perfect 1:4 pixel matching for upscaling from 1080p to 4k, and so everything is always slightly blurrier.

Last edited:
^understood and my apologies. I made sure to get a tv with dimming and hdr. So to me it was a night and day difference coming from an older plasma.

Again which is why research is important. To make sure the new tv you get is an improvement across the board and not just 4k YouTube videos.

Respectfully, I wouldn't base my decision on buying a 4k tv on whether or not 1080p will look good on it. I'd base it on price point, and if it can deliver the best 4k picture for that price point. I also wouldn't base my tv purchase on how pq looks on cable. Cut the cord. I use my tv a lot and 99.999 percent of the time I'm not using cable.

And this is honestly the first I've heard of 4k making 1080p look worse. Maybe it does, idk. Pq wise 1080p content looks good on my tv.

So will that TCL P605 at Best Buy come down in price week of Super Bowl?

Would love a 4K tv for some gaming in the bedroom. NT swears that’s the best 4K under a grand and the reviews say it’s true.

My Samsung 65 inch plasma in the living room that I got for the Super bowl back in 2010 still runs like a beast. Still displays a beautiful picture with deep blacks. That TV has treated me well so I won’t be replacing it soon. But I’m looking to replace the 42 inch Samsung LCD with a decent 4K tv for the PS4

Probably not. Didn't go on sale for the holidays. It's already really a steal for the tech you get.

Debating really hard on the 75XBR940E.

Congrats on even being able to have that debate in your head lol. Obviously great tv, and in a couple categories it marks better than the z9, by a slim margin but still impressive.
You could just go with the 75 in 900e and save yourself 2k or so lmao

Congrats on even being able to have that debate in your head lol. Obviously great tv, and in a couple categories it marks better than the z9, by a slim margin but still impressive.
You could just go with the 75 in 900e and save yourself 2k or so lmao

That is very true but the 900e wont ever support Dolby Vision.
The 940E does sort of now but im kind of mad at sony because my TCL P series which was 599 does no problem.

I just wish TCL made the P series in a 75 and it would solve my problem.

That is very true but the 900e wont ever support Dolby Vision.
The 940E does sort of now but im kind of mad at sony because my TCL P series which was 599 does no problem.

I just wish TCL made the P series in a 75 and it would solve my problem.

This years TCL (called the 6 series) with Dolby is going to be coming in a 65" version

Screenshot_20180124-233339.jpg

this $4000 Tv was had for this price :

Screenshot_20180124-233250.jpg

:wow:

this may have been the best deal I have purchased in my life

I have an e7 also. It's a beautiful TV.

what's your settings ? it was weird because I actually wanted the C7 because the sound bar kinda ruins the look of the E7 ... the rep said c7 and b7 are at retail which is odd bec they are the lower tier models and the E7 goes toe to toe with the sony A1

You mean the picture settings?

For a while I ran with something close to the recommended custom settings rtings recommended for the c7 (at least I think it was rtings)

But then the tv updated itself and in that update was a technicolor setting. And I use that.

You mean the picture settings?

For a while I ran with something close to the recommended custom settings rtings recommended for the c7 (at least I think it was rtings)

But then the tv updated itself and in that update was a technicolor preset setting. And I use that.
do you use true motion ? everyone always says to leave it off but when I do the judder is horrible almost unbearable but when you have it on it's more clear and smooth

I heard that about trumotion too

I don't think I have it on lol

I'm satisfied using the technicolor preset for when I'm watching non hdr content for the most part. Some shows will look really good when I use hdr effect (low)

For hdr and dolby vision content I use cinema home

I'll check tomorrow if I have true motion on. I doubt it

Last edited:
what exactly does hdr effect do ? does that turn 1080 content to 4k ?
No I don't think it has anything to do with pixels. Not sure what exactly it does but for the right show the improvement in pq from technicolor preset to hdr effect low is dramatic

Enjoy your TV man. Play around with your settings. What works for you may not work for me.

For example I read that even with settings recommended by rtings you may still need to adjust your settings because every TV, even within the same model will have slight differences from each other. Like your e7 and my e7 will be slightly different from each other. That, combined with differences in lighting in our homes can affect picture. Rtings settings were created in mind for tvs in dark rooms.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20180124-233339.jpg

this $4000 Tv was had for this price :

Screenshot_20180124-233250.jpg

:wow:

this may have been the best deal I have purchased in my life

damn, nice steal

was the 65" similarly discounted?

not even looking to upgrade but for that kind of discount, I might have to take the plunge

Back
Top Bottom