Anybody still/plan to spank their kids?

Considering the the huge amount of delinquent videos posted, you'd think that every child needs to be raised with a strong hand.

However, research seems to prove otherwise.

Source: http://web5.cns.utexas.ed...2011/03/to-spank-or-not/

[h4]Is spanking still a common practice in the U.S.?[/h4]

Spoiler [+]
Elizabeth Gershoff: Most parents still spank, but they do it a lot less frequently than their parents did. Most parents who do spank do it once a month or less, maybe only a couple of times a year. So the prevalence of spanking is still very high (i.e., most parents do it) but the incidence is not (i.e., they don’t do it very often).That said, it is still the case that the vast majority of children in the U.S. are spanked by their parents at some point.  By the time American children reach middle and high school, eighty-five percent have been physically punished, either with a spanking or something harsher
[h4]Can you sum up what research has to tell us about the effects of spanking on children?[/h4]
Spoiler [+]
There’s been a lot of research on spanking, going back all the way to the early 1900s, and almost all of it has showed that spanking is associated with negative outcomes for children. It is associated with more aggressive and anti-social behaviors in children. The more frequently or severely children are spanked or hit, the more likely they are to have symptoms of depression or anxiety, both at the time they’re punished and later. There is evidence to suggest that it erodes the connection between children and their parents, making children less likely to trust their parents. There’s even evidence that it is linked with lower child IQ scores.Several years ago, I published a research meta-analysis, which statistically summarized the outcomes associated with spanking across 89 studies. I found that the only positive outcome linked with corporal punishment was immediate compliance. The more children were spanked, the more they complied in that moment. Over the long term, however, and when their parents weren’t there, spanking did not increase compliance. Even just two weeks later, it didn’t seem to make a difference.
[h4]So spanking isn’t good, even when it’s pretty rare.[/h4]
Spoiler [+]
Right. It doesn’t increase the likelihood of outcomes parents want, but does increase the chance of ones they don’t.
[h4]Is there a relationship between spanking and physical abuse? Are parents who spank more likely to escalate that to something more abusive?[/h4]
Spoiler [+]
Yes, absolutely. There’s a very strong relationship between whether and how often parents spank their children and whether or not parents at some point physically abuse their children. There have been several studies on this issue, and they nearly all find that a majority of incidents of abuse—sixty, seventy, eighty percent—begin as some form of physical punishment.Most physical abuse, in other words, isn’t inflicted by sadistic parents who are indiscriminately abusing their children. Rather, most abuse begins with a parent wanting to “teach the child a lesson

Considering the the huge amount of delinquent videos posted, you'd think that every child needs to be raised with a strong hand.

However, research seems to prove otherwise.

Source: http://web5.cns.utexas.ed...2011/03/to-spank-or-not/

[h4]Is spanking still a common practice in the U.S.?[/h4]

Spoiler [+]
Elizabeth Gershoff: Most parents still spank, but they do it a lot less frequently than their parents did. Most parents who do spank do it once a month or less, maybe only a couple of times a year. So the prevalence of spanking is still very high (i.e., most parents do it) but the incidence is not (i.e., they don’t do it very often).That said, it is still the case that the vast majority of children in the U.S. are spanked by their parents at some point.  By the time American children reach middle and high school, eighty-five percent have been physically punished, either with a spanking or something harsher
[h4]Can you sum up what research has to tell us about the effects of spanking on children?[/h4]
Spoiler [+]
There’s been a lot of research on spanking, going back all the way to the early 1900s, and almost all of it has showed that spanking is associated with negative outcomes for children. It is associated with more aggressive and anti-social behaviors in children. The more frequently or severely children are spanked or hit, the more likely they are to have symptoms of depression or anxiety, both at the time they’re punished and later. There is evidence to suggest that it erodes the connection between children and their parents, making children less likely to trust their parents. There’s even evidence that it is linked with lower child IQ scores.Several years ago, I published a research meta-analysis, which statistically summarized the outcomes associated with spanking across 89 studies. I found that the only positive outcome linked with corporal punishment was immediate compliance. The more children were spanked, the more they complied in that moment. Over the long term, however, and when their parents weren’t there, spanking did not increase compliance. Even just two weeks later, it didn’t seem to make a difference.
[h4]So spanking isn’t good, even when it’s pretty rare.[/h4]
Spoiler [+]
Right. It doesn’t increase the likelihood of outcomes parents want, but does increase the chance of ones they don’t.
[h4]Is there a relationship between spanking and physical abuse? Are parents who spank more likely to escalate that to something more abusive?[/h4]
Spoiler [+]
Yes, absolutely. There’s a very strong relationship between whether and how often parents spank their children and whether or not parents at some point physically abuse their children. There have been several studies on this issue, and they nearly all find that a majority of incidents of abuse—sixty, seventy, eighty percent—begin as some form of physical punishment.Most physical abuse, in other words, isn’t inflicted by sadistic parents who are indiscriminately abusing their children. Rather, most abuse begins with a parent wanting to “teach the child a lesson

My kids get outta line, they're gettin their $%!$% handed to them. Plain and simple.

My kids get outta line, they're gettin their $%!$% handed to them. Plain and simple.

In my opinion..

Spanking/Hitting leads to children thinking that it's alright to Hit or Abuse others..

I'd rather show discipline by taking the "important" things away from the Child.

Which gets them to straighten out.. 

(Works for my little cousins all the time, they use to throw fits.. but they eventually learned that it would just make matters worse. Now when their parents threaten to take stuff away they automatically shut up & stop.
laugh.gif
)

When I was younger my parents would punish me from cursing by having me take a Table Spoon Full of Tabasco..
Lesson learned at the time..

Fast forward to now.. I love Spicy Food & Tabasco.

grin.gif

In my opinion..

Spanking/Hitting leads to children thinking that it's alright to Hit or Abuse others..

I'd rather show discipline by taking the "important" things away from the Child.

(Works for my little cousins all the time, they use to throw fits.. but they eventually learned that it would just make matters worse. Now when their parents threaten to take stuff away they automatically shut up & stop.
laugh.gif
)

When I was younger my parents would punish me from cursing by having me take a Table Spoon Full of Tabasco..

grin.gif

damn right i am. my uncle got 3 kids all he gotta do is give them that look
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

they still love him to death too

damn right i am. my uncle got 3 kids all he gotta do is give them that look
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

they still love him to death too

Originally Posted by ALDY

In my opinion..

EGGS-ACTLEE!!!

i live with my aunt and she is raising a 2 year old. and she spanks him (not really a spankin, but a tap on the hand with 2 fingers
laugh.gif
)

but when i do something that he doesnt like he HITS ME. sayin  "bad!! i give u pankin " (he cant pronounce spankin' so he says pankin)

he gets that from her. cuz i dont hit him at all.

i cant tell her nothin tho cuz all she gonna say is " in the bible it says spare the rod spoil the child, i was spanked and turned out fine"

In my opinion..

EGGS-ACTLEE!!!

i live with my aunt and she is raising a 2 year old. and she spanks him (not really a spankin, but a tap on the hand with 2 fingers
laugh.gif
)

but when i do something that he doesnt like he HITS ME. sayin  "bad!! i give u pankin " (he cant pronounce spankin' so he says pankin)

he gets that from her. cuz i dont hit him at all.

i cant tell her nothin tho cuz all she gonna say is " in the bible it says spare the rod spoil the child, i was spanked and turned out fine"

im teach them to be about that life early too just like my father did with me, he put me to fight the neighborhood bully when i was around 6
i KNOW thats the main reason i dont take !%*! from nobody

In my opinion..

laugh.gif
)

grin.gif

grin.gif

pimp.gif

im teach them to be about that life early too just like my father did with me, he put me to fight the neighborhood bully when i was around 6

In my opinion..

laugh.gif
)

grin.gif

grin.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

For some reason, nas' "poppa was a playa" came to mind.

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

For some reason, nas' "poppa was a playa" came to mind.

Back
Top Bottom