Any other non-Mavs fan want to see the Mavericks win it all this season?

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by EvansST

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

30t6p3b.gif

What are you watching out there?

Maybe glorified role player is a little much because I agree that he's the greatest big man shooter ever but lets be real Dirk aint playing great on both sides of the ball.

Dirk is never a first team or even second team defense player, he's not a great passer, great rebounder, and he doesn't make his teammates better.

I seen this dude get punked by the 8th seeded Warriors in the 1st round! Also he was MVP that year when it should have been Lebron.

If he beats Miami this year I may revoke my statement of him being a little overrated but until then I stand by it.
laugh.gif
  First off those first and second team all defense awards mean nothing. He's an average defender, a fine passer, average rebounder, and makes his teammates way better. I don't know what planet you're living on where the undisputed best power forward in the league is overrated. His rebounding is about where it should be for someone who spends most of his time on the perimeter.

And his passing is one of his most underrated skills. Just because he doesn't rack up assists like a guard doesn't mean he isn't a good passer. Post passing, passing out of double teams, hitting open shooters off the dribble/post-up, and swinging the ball from strong to weak side are all aspects of passing where Dirk excels. Then again I wouldn't expect someone calling Nowitzki a role player to know anything about basketball.
laugh.gif

I never said Dirk wasn't great because he is. But being average in these attributes that I highlighted in your post doesn't = greatest player in the NBA right now. He's a great offensive threat and is one of the best scorers ever but he isn't in the top 10 of all time. He's in the top 20 but because he lacks in other areas of his game especially defense he wont ever reach top 10 status.

Until I see him drop 30+ 5+ assists 5+ rebounds and lock the best player on the other team in the final seconds of the game I will refrain from giving him top 10 worthy praise.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

30t6p3b.gif

What are you watching out there?

Maybe glorified role player is a little much because I agree that he's the greatest big man shooter ever but lets be real Dirk aint playing great on both sides of the ball.

Dirk is never a first team or even second team defense player, he's not a great passer, great rebounder, and he doesn't make his teammates better.

I seen this dude get punked by the 8th seeded Warriors in the 1st round! Also he was MVP that year when it should have been Lebron.

If he beats Miami this year I may revoke my statement of him being a little overrated but until then I stand by it.
laugh.gif
  First off those first and second team all defense awards mean nothing. He's an average defender, a fine passer, average rebounder, and makes his teammates way better. I don't know what planet you're living on where the undisputed best power forward in the league is overrated. His rebounding is about where it should be for someone who spends most of his time on the perimeter.

And his passing is one of his most underrated skills. Just because he doesn't rack up assists like a guard doesn't mean he isn't a good passer. Post passing, passing out of double teams, hitting open shooters off the dribble/post-up, and swinging the ball from strong to weak side are all aspects of passing where Dirk excels. Then again I wouldn't expect someone calling Nowitzki a role player to know anything about basketball.
laugh.gif

I never said Dirk wasn't great because he is. But being average in these attributes that I highlighted in your post doesn't = greatest player in the NBA right now. He's a great offensive threat and is one of the best scorers ever but he isn't in the top 10 of all time. He's in the top 20 but because he lacks in other areas of his game especially defense he wont ever reach top 10 status.

Until I see him drop 30+ 5+ assists 5+ rebounds and lock the best player on the other team in the final seconds of the game I will refrain from giving him top 10 worthy praise.

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Nah there was talent on that 2006 team

Jason Terry
Josh Howard (a all-star the next year)
Devin Harris (all-star 2009)

All were not "scrubs."
They're not scrubs but definitely not championship-winning supporting players. 99% of the time, in order to win a championship a team needs two Top-5 position players. Go back to the MJ/Pippen days. Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol, Shaq/Wade (Shaq was still a top-5 center in 2006 despite him getting older), KG, Pierce, and Ray in 2008. The exception being the 2004 Pistons and maybe some of the Spurs championship teams but Parker and Ginobili will be Hall of Famers someday. That's why Dirk doesn't have a ring and it's why LeBron and Dwight have had trouble too. Jason Terry has had a nice career as a combo guard but he's pretty much John Starks to Patrick Ewing, Mo Williams to LeBron. Josh Howard had a few good years but he started to become irrelevant before he even reached the age of 30. Definitely not championship caliber. Devin Harris was the one guy I thought they should have kept but he was only a role player on the 2006 team and definitely not the 20 ppg scorer he became with the Nets.

The one year they finally have a fringe top-5 center in Chandler, they've got a chance to win it all now. Chandler might be borderline top-5 overall but he's definitely a top-5 defensive center.Still don't know if it's enough to overcome the Heat's Big Three but you can see what kind of a difference having two top-5 position players has on a team.
Yeah I agree those dudes fell off at this point in time but in 2006 they were legitimate weapons for the Mavs.

I don't know..I just lost mad respect for them after loosing to the Warriors in the first round. That wasn't supposed to happen especially Dirk being MVP that year.

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Nah there was talent on that 2006 team

Jason Terry
Josh Howard (a all-star the next year)
Devin Harris (all-star 2009)

All were not "scrubs."
They're not scrubs but definitely not championship-winning supporting players. 99% of the time, in order to win a championship a team needs two Top-5 position players. Go back to the MJ/Pippen days. Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol, Shaq/Wade (Shaq was still a top-5 center in 2006 despite him getting older), KG, Pierce, and Ray in 2008. The exception being the 2004 Pistons and maybe some of the Spurs championship teams but Parker and Ginobili will be Hall of Famers someday. That's why Dirk doesn't have a ring and it's why LeBron and Dwight have had trouble too. Jason Terry has had a nice career as a combo guard but he's pretty much John Starks to Patrick Ewing, Mo Williams to LeBron. Josh Howard had a few good years but he started to become irrelevant before he even reached the age of 30. Definitely not championship caliber. Devin Harris was the one guy I thought they should have kept but he was only a role player on the 2006 team and definitely not the 20 ppg scorer he became with the Nets.

The one year they finally have a fringe top-5 center in Chandler, they've got a chance to win it all now. Chandler might be borderline top-5 overall but he's definitely a top-5 defensive center.Still don't know if it's enough to overcome the Heat's Big Three but you can see what kind of a difference having two top-5 position players has on a team.
Yeah I agree those dudes fell off at this point in time but in 2006 they were legitimate weapons for the Mavs.

I don't know..I just lost mad respect for them after loosing to the Warriors in the first round. That wasn't supposed to happen especially Dirk being MVP that year.

Wait so Dirk is a great role player?
roll.gif

No one said he's the best player in the League, but he has by far been playing the best basketball in the 2011 NBA Playoffs. No one is saying he's a top 10 player ever (except maybe his coach).

Kobe didn't do that supposed top-10 criteria when he won his last two titles, does that mean he's not a Top 10 player of all time?
laugh.gif

roll.gif

No one said he's the best player in the League, but he has by far been playing the best basketball in the 2011 NBA Playoffs. No one is saying he's a top 10 player ever (except maybe his coach).

Kobe didn't do that supposed top-10 criteria when he won his last two titles, does that mean he's not a Top 10 player of all time?
laugh.gif

I'm a little indifferent and I'd just love to see a great Finals, but if it's Miami-Dallas and Miami wins, I'm really really hoping at least the officiating wasn't as one-sided as it was during parts of the '06 Finals.

I'm a little indifferent and I'd just love to see a great Finals, but if it's Miami-Dallas and Miami wins, I'm really really hoping at least the officiating wasn't as one-sided as it was during parts of the '06 Finals.

Only on NT is Dirk a role player, over-rated, doesnt make his teammates better, etc. It's his 2nd time taking his team to the finals as the absolute best player on the team. I mean, imagine the heat he'd get if he averaged the same career numbers on a crappy team. This is the 2nd time the Mavs have made the finals thanks to Dirk...what more could you ask from him?

Only on NT is Dirk a role player, over-rated, doesnt make his teammates better, etc. It's his 2nd time taking his team to the finals as the absolute best player on the team. I mean, imagine the heat he'd get if he averaged the same career numbers on a crappy team. This is the 2nd time the Mavs have made the finals thanks to Dirk...what more could you ask from him?

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

roll.gif

laugh.gif

I agree with all of that.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

roll.gif

laugh.gif

I agree with all of that.

Also he was MVP that year when it should have been Lebron.
laugh.gif

Lebron's numbers weren't as good as Dirk's in '07, plus his team won 17 less games in the weaker conference. That MVP is in the right hands.

laugh.gif

Lebron's numbers weren't as good as Dirk's in '07, plus his team won 17 less games in the weaker conference. That MVP is in the right hands.

Lol I said on page 3 "that was a little much." I don't believe that at all. What I'm trying to say is he needs to win a championship to justify all the praise he's getting from the media. These analyst and some people on here make like he's always been playing like he is now.

Lol I said on page 3 "that was a little much." I don't believe that at all. What I'm trying to say is he needs to win a championship to justify all the praise he's getting from the media. These analyst and some people on here make like he's always been playing like he is now.

Originally Posted by JD617

laugh.gif

Stop it. LeBron had better numbers.

I'm rooting for Mike Bibby.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

laugh.gif

Stop it. LeBron had better numbers.

I'm rooting for Mike Bibby.
laugh.gif

I'm almost thirty years old and outside of Hakeem Olajuwon no other great player has done more with less.

To even debate this is stupid.

Back
Top Bottom