what kind of dumb %$% question is this?

see, i wrote this in all lowercase. i guess i'm "minimalist"
Sorry, you used too many words.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

what kind of dumb %$% question is this?

see, i wrote this in all lowercase. i guess i'm "minimalist"
Sorry, you used too many words.

Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

I've been applying this principal when grocery shopping. The benefits are rarely having to freeze meat, and I almost never throw anything out. I figure Im saving at least $30 a month. As for decorating. I insist on having very little in my bedroom. I need a clean, well organized space so my mind can rest.
The minimalist trait in me say, make one trip to the grocery store a month or if you can go LONGER than that. So you would buy all the meat that is on sale to cover you for months and months. Freezing seems essential. But others see minimalist as buying only what you need every trip, so you in turn use 10 times as much gas.

Thus I think most can agree, why even have this as a term when it really can mean ANYTHING.

I've been applying this principal when grocery shopping. The benefits are rarely having to freeze meat, and I almost never throw anything out. I figure Im saving at least $30 a month. As for decorating. I insist on having very little in my bedroom. I need a clean, well organized space so my mind can rest.
The minimalist trait in me say, make one trip to the grocery store a month or if you can go LONGER than that. So you would buy all the meat that is on sale to cover you for months and months. Freezing seems essential. But others see minimalist as buying only what you need every trip, so you in turn use 10 times as much gas.

Thus I think most can agree, why even have this as a term when it really can mean ANYTHING.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

It's as interpretative as The Catcher in the Rye, but why the hell would you buy food once a month? Freshness is imperative to good health.

It's as interpretative as The Catcher in the Rye, but why the hell would you buy food once a month? Freshness is imperative to good health.

how are you guys not able to grasp such a simple concept? 
laugh.gif

minimalism is basically the opposite of gaudy-ness, being loud, etc

right? 
ohwell.gif

how are you guys not able to grasp such a simple concept? 
laugh.gif

minimalism is basically the opposite of gaudy-ness, being loud, etc

right? 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

You are right. Emulators and Roms exist so there is no need to keep this stuff.

Isnt the whole point of minimalism is to cut down the crap in your life. How does replacing a video game system with a emulator make you more minimalist? If you were for real about the lifestyle you would just cut video games out entirely and just read books.

Isnt the whole point of minimalism is to cut down the crap in your life. How does replacing a video game system with a emulator make you more minimalist? If you were for real about the lifestyle you would just cut video games out entirely and just read books.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Who sad you had to drive to go grocery shopping? You can walk there especially if your only picking up a few items for that nights meal. Because of technology many of us think that you need to store your fridge and stock your cabinets with food, but what if you prepared food daily, and leftovers were ate for lunch or the next meal. Why stock your fridge full of frozen foods? Why stock the cabinets full of snacks ? Why keep loads of junk in your house? I dunno, i believe that the definition is pretty cut in dry for being a minimalist. Yea its cool having a T.v but why have 4 T.v's littered around your house? Whatever live your life the way you want to. Like John Keynes says : "In the long run we are all dead"

Who sad you had to drive to go grocery shopping? You can walk there especially if your only picking up a few items for that nights meal. Because of technology many of us think that you need to store your fridge and stock your cabinets with food, but what if you prepared food daily, and leftovers were ate for lunch or the next meal. Why stock your fridge full of frozen foods? Why stock the cabinets full of snacks ? Why keep loads of junk in your house? I dunno, i believe that the definition is pretty cut in dry for being a minimalist. Yea its cool having a T.v but why have 4 T.v's littered around your house? Whatever live your life the way you want to. Like John Keynes says : "In the long run we are all dead"

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

As much as i agree with you, books are just as much clutter as video games. I read a few books a month and if I were to buy them I would have a small library building up. Plus your ranking books over video games, which is in the opinion of the beholder. Like I said I agree with you, but being a minimalist has nothing to do with video games over books.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

As much as i agree with you, books are just as much clutter as video games. I read a few books a month and if I were to buy them I would have a small library building up. Plus your ranking books over video games, which is in the opinion of the beholder. Like I said I agree with you, but being a minimalist has nothing to do with video games over books.

in business terms, it's called 'lean'

lean basically means no wasted movement
eliminating unnecessary steps
eliminating unnecessary items
increasing productivity

and i agree, there really isn't a need to be an official name/title behind it

it's just living a streamlined life, if you can't understand that than you simply aren't built for it

some of these questions are ridiculous btw

in business terms, it's called 'lean'

lean basically means no wasted movement
eliminating unnecessary steps
eliminating unnecessary items
increasing productivity

and i agree, there really isn't a need to be an official name/title behind it

it's just living a streamlined life, if you can't understand that than you simply aren't built for it

some of these questions are ridiculous btw

Originally Posted by SalviBoy7

So a minimalist would drive/buy a smart car ? According to this "de-clutters his life of unnecessary things, avoids accumulating stuff by buying only the things he needs." A smart car is the only thing he needs because it avoids accumulating space in the road, and he just needs to drive from point A to point B. Or do minimalist only live that lifestyle at home ?

Sounds like something hipster cat would approve of, upscale minimalism.

Not quite. If you use a car to it's potential, what's wrong  with having a nicer car? If you track your porsche, is there anything wrong with it? No, it gets used. That's what minimalism is about; only having what gets used. Like the video game systems discussed.
JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
Minimalism equals simplicity.

Exactly. It's sad how you guys are struggling to understand this concept.
JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
Books are a disaster man 
laugh.gif

Thank God my mom bought me a Kindle for my birthday.

I don't know about books though. I can't fathom the idea of reading without actually having the book in my hands. It's a bit odd.

Originally Posted by SalviBoy7

So a minimalist would drive/buy a smart car ? According to this "de-clutters his life of unnecessary things, avoids accumulating stuff by buying only the things he needs." A smart car is the only thing he needs because it avoids accumulating space in the road, and he just needs to drive from point A to point B. Or do minimalist only live that lifestyle at home ?

Sounds like something hipster cat would approve of, upscale minimalism.

Not quite. If you use a car to it's potential, what's wrong  with having a nicer car? If you track your porsche, is there anything wrong with it? No, it gets used. That's what minimalism is about; only having what gets used. Like the video game systems discussed.
JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
Minimalism equals simplicity.

Exactly. It's sad how you guys are struggling to understand this concept.
JohnnyRedStorm wrote:
Books are a disaster man 
laugh.gif

Thank God my mom bought me a Kindle for my birthday.

I don't know about books though. I can't fathom the idea of reading without actually having the book in my hands. It's a bit odd.

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

Maybe I'm just anti- "title". There's nothing wrong with trying to streamline your life or make it more efficient. I have been growing my own backyard vegetables for years now, giving away so many extras to neighbors. I wouldn't label myself as anything though. For a solid 6 months, we are living off of the land. Now it's true where I live water is a bit scarce, so It may be counterproductive of me to do this. But you can't win in everything in life. My family's actions limit these products being driven 300-1,000 miles and all the cardboard/plastic in the packaging of these products. Pollution/green house gases.

It is what it is. One could argue the act of walking to a place everyday to get food is a waste of time on an efficiency scale. Some "minimalists" have a plan for everything. If I'm up 16 hours a day, an hour or more is wasted everyday getting food.

I recycle cardboard boxes that I use to ship shoes. I even try to get boxes from grocery stores. I try to minimize my monetary output on things that have a clear answer for. Yet I have a stack full of boxes lying in a storage space somewhere. Clutter and junk I suppose.

It's just weird. You can almost call a junkyard or a hoarder, the epitome of living on the land and being so efficient using old items or parts for other actions. Some of these people have not bought a single NEW item in decades. Yet they acquire and have these items that take up space. The definition of a minimalist can span EVERYONE

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

Maybe I'm just anti- "title". There's nothing wrong with trying to streamline your life or make it more efficient. I have been growing my own backyard vegetables for years now, giving away so many extras to neighbors. I wouldn't label myself as anything though. For a solid 6 months, we are living off of the land. Now it's true where I live water is a bit scarce, so It may be counterproductive of me to do this. But you can't win in everything in life. My family's actions limit these products being driven 300-1,000 miles and all the cardboard/plastic in the packaging of these products. Pollution/green house gases.

It is what it is. One could argue the act of walking to a place everyday to get food is a waste of time on an efficiency scale. Some "minimalists" have a plan for everything. If I'm up 16 hours a day, an hour or more is wasted everyday getting food.

I recycle cardboard boxes that I use to ship shoes. I even try to get boxes from grocery stores. I try to minimize my monetary output on things that have a clear answer for. Yet I have a stack full of boxes lying in a storage space somewhere. Clutter and junk I suppose.

It's just weird. You can almost call a junkyard or a hoarder, the epitome of living on the land and being so efficient using old items or parts for other actions. Some of these people have not bought a single NEW item in decades. Yet they acquire and have these items that take up space. The definition of a minimalist can span EVERYONE

Back
Top Bottom