American man jailed in Japan for trying to reclaim his kids

[h1]American jailed in Japan for trying to reclaim his children[/h1]
  • Story Highlights
  • NEW: Ex-wife's attorney says dad had other legal options besides grabbing kids
  • American dad tries to snatch children from ex-wife who took them to Japan
  • She is a fugitive in Tennessee, but has broken no law in Japan
  • Father, who has legal custody in U.S., charged in Japan with abduction

TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- Had this custody drama played out in the United States, Christopher Savoie might be considered a hero -- snatching his two little children back from an ex-wife who defied the law and ran off with them.

But this story unfolds 7,000 miles away in the Japanese city of Fukuoka, where the U.S. legal system holds no sway.

And here, Savoie sits in jail, charged with the abduction of minors. And his Japanese ex-wife -- a fugitive in the United States for taking his children from Tennessee -- is considered the victim.

"Japan is an important partner and friend of the U.S., but on this issue, our points of view differ," the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo said Tuesday. "Our two nations approach divorce and child-rearing differently. Parental child abduction is not considered a crime in Japan."

The story begins in the Nashville suburb of Franklin, Tennessee, with the January divorce of Savoie from his first wife, Noriko, a Japanese native. The ex-wife had agreed to live in Franklin to be close to the children, taking them to Japan for summer vacations.

Savoie in March requested a restraining order to prevent his ex-wife from taking the children to Japan, saying she had threatened to do so, according to court documents obtained by CNN affiliate WTVF and posted on the station's Web site. A temporary order was issued, but then lifted following a hearing.

"If Mother fails to return to Tennessee [after summer vacation] with the children following her visitation period, she could lose her alimony, child support and education fund, which is added assurance to Father that she is going to return with the children," Circuit Court Judge James G. Martin III noted in his order on the matter.

After that ruling, Christopher Savoie tried to have Martin recuse himself, as he was a mediator in the case prior to becoming a judge, said Marlene Eskind Moses, Noriko Savoie's attorney. But that request was denied, as Savoie earlier said he had no concerns about Martin hearing the matter.

Following the summer trip, Noriko Savoie did return to the United States, and Christopher Savoie then took the children on a vacation, returning them to his ex-wife, his attorney, Paul Bruno, told CNN.

But days later, on the first day of classes for 8-year-old Isaac and 6-year-old Rebecca, the school called Savoie to say his children hadn't arrived, Bruno said. Police checked Noriko Savoie's home and did not find the children.

Concerned, Savoie called his ex-wife's father in Japan, who told him not to worry.

"I said, 'What do you mean -- don't worry? They weren't at school.' 'Oh, don't worry, they are here,' " Savoie recounted the conversation to CNN affiliate WTVF earlier this month. "I said, 'They are what, they are what, they are in Japan?' "
video.gif
Watch Savoie talk about how much he misses his kids »

The very thing that Savoie had predicted in court papers had happened -- his wife had taken their children to Japan and showed no signs of returning, Bruno said.

After Noriko Savoie took the children to Japan, Savoie filed for and received full custody of the children, Bruno said. And Franklin police issued an arrest warrant for his ex-wife, the television station reported.

But there was a major hitch: Japan is not a party to the 1980 Hague Convention on international child abduction. The international agreement standardizes laws, but only among participating countries.

So while Japanese civil law stresses that courts resolve custody issues based on the best interest of the children without regard to either parent's nationality, foreign parents have had little success in regaining custody.

Japanese family law follows a tradition of sole custody divorces. When a couple splits, one parent typically makes a complete and lifelong break from the children.

In court documents filed in May, Noriko Savoie denied that she was failing to abide by the terms of the couple's court-approved parenting plan or ignoring court-appointed parent coordinators. She added she was "concerned about the stability of Father, his extreme antagonism towards Mother and the effect of this on the children."

Noriko Savoie could not be reached by CNN for comment.

Bruno said he helped Christopher Savoie pursue legal remedies to recover the children, working with police, the FBI and the State Department.

"We tried to do what we could to get the kids back," Bruno said. "There was not a whole lot we can do."

"Our court system failed him," said Diane Marshall, a court-appointed parent coordinator who helped Savoie make decisions about the children. "It's just a mess."

But Moses, Noriko Savoie's attorney, told CNN that the children's father had other legal options.

The International Association for Parent-Child Reunion, formed in Japan this year, claims to know of more than 100 cases of children abducted by non-custodial Japanese parents.

And the U.S. State Department says it is not aware of a single case in which a child taken from the United States to Japan has been ordered returned by Japanese courts -- even when the left-behind parent has a U.S. custody decree.

Facing such statistics and the possibility of never seeing his kids again, Savoie took matters into his own hands.

He flew to Fukuoka. And as his ex-wife walked the two children to school Monday morning, Savoie drove alongside them.

He grabbed the kids, forced them into his car, and drove off, said police in Fukuoka.

He headed for the U.S. consulate in that city to try to obtain passports for Isaac and Rebecca.

But Japanese police, alerted by Savoie's ex-wife, were waiting.

Consulate spokeswoman Tracy Taylor said she heard a scuffle outside the doors of the consulate. She ran up and saw a little girl and a man, whom police were trying to talk to.

Eventually, police took Savoie away, charging him with the abduction of minors -- a charge that carries a jail sentence of up to five years.

Bruno said if the situation were reversed and a Japanese parent had abducted a Japanese child and fled to America, U.S. courts would "correct that problem, because it's a crime."

He said he has "concerns about Japan ... providing a place for people to abduct children and go to. The parent left behind does not have recourse." He added, "the president and his administration should do something to correct this."

The consulate met with Savoie on Monday and Tuesday, Taylor said. It has provided him with a list of local lawyers and said it will continue to assist.

Meanwhile, the international diplomacy continues. During the first official talks between the United States and Japan's new government, the issue of parental abductions was raised.

But it is anybody's guess what happens next to Savoie, who sits in a jail cell.

Japan may be technologically advanced but morally and socially they are decades behind the rest of the civilized world. Hopefully viadiplomats, he is freed from jail and allowed to leave the country with his children.

"Japan is an important partner and friend of the U.S., but on this issue, our points of view differ," the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo said Tuesday. "Our two nations approach divorce and child-rearing differently. Parental child abduction is not considered a crime in Japan."

I read this earlier, it makes absolutely no sense. First it says that parental child abduction is not a crime in Japan, and thats why the mother can't bearrested, but then they turn around and arrest the father for taking his own children. Either the person who wrote this article doesn't quite understandwhat the law is, or the Japanese don't understand their own law. If parental abduction of a child is not a crime, how is this man in jail? He abducted hisown children, so based on this article, he didn't commit a crime.

Japan may be technologically advanced but morally and socially they are decades behind the rest of the civilized world
I'm curious...what else makes you say this beside this case?.

Originally Posted by J Burner

I read this earlier, it makes absolutely no sense. First it says that parental child abduction is not a crime in Japan, and thats why the mother can't be arrested, but then they turn around and arrest the father for taking his own children. Either the person who wrote this article doesn't quite understand what the law is, or the Japanese don't understand their own law. If parental abduction of a child is not a crime, how is this man in jail? He abducted his own children, so based on this article, he didn't commit a crime.

Pretty much.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Japan may be technologically advanced but morally and socially they are decades behind the rest of the civilized world

I'm not 100% sure on this, because my memory is sketcy as to which asian country it is, but is it the Japanese that kill their baby daughters because theywant boys to help work, and girls are not considered desirable, or valuable? I may be confusing it with Korea...

I'm curious as to know why you feel this way as well

I'm not 100% sure on this, because my memory is sketcy as to which asian country it is, but is it the Japanese that kill their baby daughters because they want boys to help work, and girls are not considered desirable, or valuable? I may be confusing it with Korea...

China because they can only have one kid
laugh.gif

And Japan's penal system is geared towards social reform, unlike our punishment based one. They may not have the same notions on family raising and whatnot that we do in the US but that doesn't make them morally or socially inferior.

How do you guys know that the father isn't instable and an unfit father - is it at all possible that he might be in the wrong and was just being protectedby American law? It is possible that the mother was attempting to seek refuge in Japan, is it not?
Did I miss something?

I'm not saying one is right over the other - but it seems that there are many here that are quick to jump on an opinion without knowing the full details,which that story fails to provide.

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

How do you guys know that the father isn't instable and an unfit father - is it at all possible that he might be in the wrong and was just being protected by American law? It is possible that the mother was attempting to seek refuge in Japan, is it not?
Did I miss something?

I'm not saying one is right over the other - but it seems that there are many here that are quick to jump on an opinion without knowing the full details, which that story fails to provide.

Yes, yes you did...you missed the part where the ex-wife was not granted sole custody in the divorce, and that she agreed in the divorce hearing to live nearthe children (which indicates that she did not have custody at all, only visitation). You also missed the fact that no matter how you flip the scenario, thewoman had no right to leave the country with the kids and not return. Those kids have a right to see their father, and their father has a right to see hischildren. If she disagrees, then she needs to go to court HERE, and prove that he is unfit to see his children. But she can't, which is why she took theroute of a crazy person, and kidnapped the kids and ran off to Japan. If anyone is looking unstable here, it would be the mother...

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

How do you guys know that the father isn't instable and an unfit father - is it at all possible that he might be in the wrong and was just being protected by American law? It is possible that the mother was attempting to seek refuge in Japan, is it not?
Did I miss something?

I'm not saying one is right over the other - but it seems that there are many here that are quick to jump on an opinion without knowing the full details, which that story fails to provide.

Yes, yes you did...you missed the part where the ex-wife was not granted sole custody in the divorce, and that she agreed in the divorce hearing to live near the children (which indicates that she did not have custody at all, only visitation). You also missed the fact that no matter how you flip the scenario, the woman had no right to leave the country with the kids and not return. Those kids have a right to see their father, and their father has a right to see his children. If she disagrees, then she needs to go to court HERE, and prove that he is unfit to see his children. But she can't, which is why she took the route of a crazy person, and kidnapped the kids and ran off to Japan. If anyone is looking unstable here, it would be the mother...

Both parts you stated that I missed, I didn't - and I accounted for them in my statement. I stated that the father may be protected by American law andmay really be an unfit parent - and this is the mother's only method of protecting her children. Article states that the father had to "force"the kids in the car - they didn't want to leave? Again, you are coming to conclusions that this article doesn't warrant.

Japan is a solid country, but there are a lot of drawbacks. For one, politics are very corrupt and sloppy(where aren't they corrupt?). Thereis still the matter of remaining a homogeneous society, shunning 'outsiders'. Just look at how Brazilian-Japanese were treated after the economicdownturn. There are many more issues but no time to discuss them all.

Friend: Japanese woman who took kids felt trapped

By TRAVIS LOLLER and ERIK SCHELZIG, Associated Press Writers

Thursday, October 1, 2009Print E-mail Share Comments (12) Font | Size:

(10-01) 16:37 PDT Franklin, Tenn. (AP) --

A friend says Noriko Savoie felt trapped - she was a Japanese citizen new to the U.S. whose American husband had just served her divorce papers.

Her disintegrating marriage likely would have ended with little notice had she not fled to Japan, where her ex-husband was arrested this week trying to get thechildren she took with her into the diplomatic protection of a U.S. consulate.

Noriko Savoie did not have court permission to bring the children to the country where they had spent most of their lives, and Christopher Savoie says hedidn't do anything wrong when he tried to get them back.

Court records and conversations with a friend, Miiko Crafton, make it clear that Noriko Savoie was hurt and angry from the divorce and chafing at the culturaldifferences.

She had no income when she moved to the U.S. in June 2008, divorce court filings show, and appears to have been totally dependent on Christopher Savoie, whowas still legally her husband but was involved with another woman.

Crafton, a native of Japan who befriended Noriko Savoie during her short time in Tennessee, said her friend tried to get a divorce while the couple still livedin Japan, but her husband had refused and later persuaded her to move to the U.S. with the children.

"Everything was provided so she could begin a new lifestyle, but right after that he gave her divorce papers," Crafton said. "So basically shewas trapped."

Although financially stable - she was awarded close to $800,000 in cash as well as other support in the divorce - Noriko Savoie was not free to return toJapan. She was given primary custody of the children, but her ex-husband was also awarded time with them.

She felt mistreated by the courts and emotionally abused by her ex-husband, Crafton said.

In court, she accused Christopher Savoie of threatening to have her father jailed over a disagreement stemming from the sale of a car.

In a hostile e-mail from Christopher Savoie that was entered into the court record, he called her an "idiot" and accused her of "poisoning thechildren against me." He complained about the large cash payout she got and monthly support payments.

But Crafton said Noriko Savoie was trying to settle into life in Tennessee. For example, she tried to enroll in college.

"She was very positive, but she always looked sad," Crafton said. "It was a really, really sad situation."

Meanwhile, Christopher Savoie complained that she refused to let him see the children during appointed times, screened his calls with them and insulted him andargued with him in front of them.

And, according to court records, he had an overriding fear that she would take the children to Japan, where he thought he would have little legal recourse andmight never be able to see them again.

In Japan, if a couple gets divorced, one parent, almost always the mother, often gets sole custody. Divorced fathers typically have little access.

Christopher Savoie remarried in the month following the divorce, and Noriko Savoie wrote him an e-mail soon after, asking him to keep his new wife and herchildren away and stop criticizing their marriage.

"These things are effecting my life a lot," she wrote. "I need to stay healthy in order to stay here."

That e-mail became a key piece of evidence when Christopher Savoie unsuccessfully tried to convince the courts not to allow her to take the children to Japanon vacation.

She returned on July 30 as planned, but went back with the children just two weeks later.

Christopher Savoie was arrested by Japanese police on Monday as he tried to enter a U.S. Consulate in the southern city of Fukuoka with the 6- and 8-year-oldchildren after snatching them away from their mother as they walked to school.

Local police said they received permission from the court to keep Savoie in custody for 10 days.

He told CNN in an interview that he wants his children to know he loves them.

"I didn't do anything wrong," he said. "Children have the right to see both parents. It's very important for my children to know bothparents."

Christopher Savoie had been granted full custody of the children by an American court after Noriko Savoie abducted them, and the courts here issued a warrantfor her arrest on charges of custodial interference.

Crafton said she felt sorry for Christopher Savoie but did not approve of his actions.

"If he's really thinking of the kids, he shouldn't be doing some dramatic movie-type thing like snatching the kids," Crafton said. "Hecould have made other arrangements. He speaks Japanese very well and has Japanese citizenship."

god bless CNN always coming through with the cliffnotes
pimp.gif

ill read the entire article during my break tonight

Back
Top Bottom