Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

I wish the original was leather. It kindve sucks that this pair’s upper won’t last as long as the others

I wish the original was leather. It kindve sucks that this pair’s upper won’t last as long as the others

Jazz 2.gif

Yo...

My youth...

You're buggin' right now. This "last long" mentality is what got us stuck with PU midsoles that won't crumble, but are heavy and stiff as hell.
Lol if they were originally leather back in 1989, and I said they should be nubuck(I don’t actually believe this, just saying for example), I’d get the same response.

I think leather would have been great on these. My opinion brotha

I know, but theoretically leather would last much longer than that.
How long do expect a pair to last? I agree with you, leather would last longer but the durabuck/nubuck look on these are huge. My only guess is back in 89 they determined the durabuck had that more broken in feel right away than what leather had. Which was the purpose they had when making the originals during that time. Leather does last longer, but the nubuck look is more true to the original as you know. If they came out in 89 with leather upper, maybe a diff story here. But ultimately leather on the upper of this retro would just p''' people off. Well, all of us anyway. The leather on my black royal blue 4s are awesome. But I really dont want that on this pair.

How long do expect a pair to last? I agree with you, leather would last longer but the durabuck/nubuck look on these are huge. My only guess is back in 89 they determined the durabuck had that more broken in feel right away than what leather had. Which was the purpose they had when making the originals during that time. Leather does last longer, but the nubuck look is more true to the original as you know. If they came out in 89 with leather upper, maybe a diff story here. But ultimately leather on the upper of this retro would just p''' people off. Well, all of us anyway. The leather on my black royal blue 4s are awesome. But I really dont want that on this pair.
Durabuck was cheaper to mass produce. Also, it was lighter and easier to clean. It doesn’t hold up as good as the genuine leather on the 3s, even on the military,Fire Red, and White Cement pairs that were made with synthetic leather(durabuck). A lot of OG 4s now have cracks and flakes.

Personally, I wear most of my kicks as long as I can. I just retired my 09 shadows and my black cat 3s. All the leather won’t rub off or peel like my black cat 3s are. For my black motorsports, I know that in the future, I’ll probably have to just sole swap, but that’s it.

Last edited:
If they came out in 89 with leather upper, maybe a diff story here. But ultimately leather on the upper of this retro would just p''' people off. Well, all of us anyway. The leather on my black royal blue 4s are awesome. But I really dont want that on this pair.
That’s what I’m saying, If the OG was already genuine leather(like the black cement 3), I doubt folks would be demanding nubuck instead.

A pair of black red 4s are gonna last a long time if worn casually. Even with the nubuck. Playing ball in them, diff story. If they came out with a leather upper, people are gonna be mad as hell. Just solely because of the look. This is where JB never wins with us. We want comfort, and also a shoe that NEVER breaks down. If leather, people are mad about creases. Your point is valid, but with a never ending complaint system that we have here, no matter what they give us someone isnt gonna be happy. If NikeTalk was around in 89 they would have loved the 4 so much from the get go. As time went by and people were wearing them as intended, people would have then turned on the 4 saying the quality is aweful. No different then any other Jordan at that time. Because they were not meant to last. At all. The shoes were made to play ball in and be comfortable out the box. Todays retros are not made with that same purpose.

I glad you understood. I wasn’t trying to say that in this 2019 should be leather with the past retros not being leather. Drastically changing any Original material wouldn’t be welcomed. The almost nubuck 2011 cement 3s were hated lol.

If leather was the original, it’d be cool. You’re right about the creasing complaints tho.

I glad you understood. I wasn’t trying to say that in this 2019 should be leather with the past retros not being leather. Drastically changing any Original material wouldn’t be welcomed. The almost nubuck 2011 cement 3s were hated lol.

If leather was the original, it’d be cool. You’re right about the creasing complaints tho.
Quality as far as durability on originals are way overrated. Quality as far as instant comfort on OGs are legit. People want both. It will never happen. No one was buying their Js thinking about them lasting for 5-6+ years back then. This is where the complaints begin.

Man, I wish it was in February like the first rumors had mentioned...then again, t'was a rumor. I'm going all in on these with local raffles, etc. Copping these will round out my trinity of J's. Black Metallic V, Black Cement lll, and of course these, the Black Cement lV. :nthat:

Back
Top Bottom