ADIDAS BBall Boost Thread - BYW, Crazy Explosive & Crazy Light & OTHER BBALL ADJACENT SNEAKERS

^ Oh man I would love those...

Although my only pairs' traction pattern and outsole doesn't grip anything anymore, I think I want another pair. The shoe is just so comfortable, I can't keep away from them dispite subpar traction and the thin forefoot midsole. The upper is so good I can't see myself playing in other than primeknit shoes when Adidas starts to drop that new 2016 collection. And if this years version hits miAdidas (please!), I'd order 2 pairs. This "new" 2.5 version is tempting too.

Has anyone in here tried on a pair of the CL 2.5s?

Containment/lockdown looks like it is improved but only judging off the look

[/quote]
adidas is dropping the ball on releasing the Cl boost... Only 100 all whites no Christmas when it was the best out the pack and if no bhm it would be a fail

I swear whoever is in charge of what adidas release and colorways released should be fired. You sign Harden $200M and only release 100 of the all white..which they should know..anything all white sells. Wall 2 is a good silo but ****** CW. How about releasing the Top 10/2000 and KBs in similar CW (mostly white) and OG.

I swear whoever is in charge of what adidas release and colorways released should be fired. You sign Harden $200M and only release 100 of the all white..

I kinda agree...not about the firing...but with how they are using Harden. How does Wall get a sig but your $200M man is just gonna rock the crazylight boost. Wall's an exciting player but he's not Harden. There must be a Harden sig in the pipeline somewhere.

Last edited:
Yah it is ridiculous and I stated it before, once they signed or just when the thought occurs to sign Harden and to even imagine paying him that much, a prototype should have been started as Harden sig to start making some of those money back.

Even if they don't do it from scratch, at least make one of the upcoming colorways be Hardens, I am sure they have plenty concept shoes on deck ready for production since they do not really seem to be catering the shoes to the players anyways outside of Lillard and Rose and even though promotional could be construed as mumbo-jumbo like the stories they attach to Kobe's sigs.

Hell they could have the boost set-up on the DRose 6 and change the upper (primeknit could design plenty of patterns) or add some a strap (ankle strap?) then remove the lick-in straps and change the stable frame design a bit and you can have a simple but very different shoe as Hardens sig.

Yah it is ridiculous and I stated it before, once they signed or just when the thought occurs to sign Harden and to even imagine paying him that much, a prototype should have been started as Harden sig to start making some of those money back.

Even if they don't do it from scratch, at least make one of the upcoming colorways be Hardens, I am sure they have plenty concept shoes on deck ready for production since they do not really seem to be catering the shoes to the players anyways outside of Lillard and Rose and even though promotional could be construed as mumbo-jumbo like the stories they attach to Kobe's sigs.

Hell they could have the boost set-up on the DRose 6 and change the upper (primeknit could design plenty of patterns) or add some a strap (ankle strap?) then remove the lick-in straps and change the stable frame design a bit and you can have a simple but very different shoe as Hardens sig.

All this, Harden is more marketable than Rose and Lillard IMO. If I was running Adi; I'd have a sig on the way and some Harden branded lifestyle gear on deck.

What I find intriguing is how we as "sneakerheads" or knowledgeable consumers regarding sports, sneakers, and really marketing, can figure out a strong marketing/product plan yet those whose actual job/profession it is to do so, can't. I honestly don't know what to say about adidas. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but it's nearly impossible. There's so many other areas they're lacking in as well, like releasing certain colorways for shoes, building anticipation of colorways/new models, new designs for basketball shorts or sleeveless training tops (not the trendy popular cotton tanks) releasing socks (huge market) accessories etc. People gripe about Nike and the prices but they manage to do things right and their gafs are less noticeable and fewer than a brand like Adidas. I seriously scratch my head daily about this....

JS"

I think they pretty much signed Harden in hopes that they'll have the same effect as UA signing Curry being a second place MVP and all, I think they were banking he'd be an MVP this year or sometime in his career and then sales would be crazy. But I think they also under evaluated the importance of Curry winning a championship and how much that plays a role in it too. But I guess they also looked at KD and that huge Nike signing and his MVP win making his shoe a huge seller too but they also for some reason did not put into account that both of them had signature shoes and not just some team shoes and they just got PEs.

It probably a signing they thought about and considered for a while but it definitely looked like it was done in haste when the opportunity opened up to get a big name that they could lure away from Nike. Might have helped that Nike was about to give harden his own sig?

We weren't there on the meetings and signings so obviously these are all guesses but the evidence does seem to support it pretty well.

RFX...I appreciate your viewpoint and I'm more so wanting to have meaningful dialogue to get a different view other than mine, but don't you think that come 2016-2017 Harden should have had his signature shoe release and not be the face of the crazy light sneaker?? This is the season to release all kinds of PE crazy lights, generating buzz, leading up to what could have been his signature model for the 2016-2017 season. I don't know how you pay a guy that kinda money and not give him a signature model the NEXT season. Its not like he's a rookie or unproven player. He doesn't need to build himself up.

A lot goes into marketing: Personality, marketability, notoriety etc. Given how well Harden is known, his notable beard, his antics (cooking em up) on the court, his off the court fashion sense, etc there's so much there to utilize in both commercial marketing and incorporating in a signature shoe. I'd make Wiggins the face of the crazy light he's quiet and isn't super marketable but he has potential). Develop him so in 2 years he could be ready for a signature sneaker. That way you have a face with building up the crazy light line.

JS"

Is UnderArmor actually moving units with these Curry shoes? A sig is cool and all, but if it's not selling, kinda pointless

Last edited:
JerseySauce, i think we're saying the same thing. I was even saying that he should have had a sig model off the bat.

I've posted this vid before but it really shows that Nike simply knows what they are doing and Adidas simply needs to follow suit.

Is UnderArmor actually moving units with these Curry shoes? A sig is cool and all, but if it's not selling, kinda pointless

I think it is selling well, I don't think they produce as much shoes as Nike or Adidas so they can't compete being the top 10 best selling sneakers just for the reason the unit sales aren't there but UAs has been on the come up and Curry only helps that matter. I mean think about it, they got Curry for $4m, that is a bargain for all the exposure he now gives them and he is still getting better. There's also the intangibles outside of actually selling shoes, they get the brands name out there and that is why UA struck gold with him.

Having Curry under contract allowed Under Armour, which struggled to attract the masses to its shoes since entering the space in 2006, to taste success in the footwear category. Sales of shoes were up 40 percent last quarter, with the Curry One helping Under Armour sell a record $153 million in shoes in three months. On Wednesday, the brand's founder and CEO, Kevin Plank, told investors that its footwear business, which made up 14 percent of its $3 billion in sales last year, would make up an estimated 22 percent of its projected $7.5 billion in sales by 2017.

Last October, CEO Kevin Plank identified gender-specific apparel, international expansion, direct-to-consumer sales and footwear as Under Armour’s key “growth drivers.” Timely sponsorship deals with breakout athletes like golfer Jordan Speith and reigning NBA Most Valuable Player Stephen Curry have aided the brand’s marketing efforts.

The deal with Curry has proven to be particularly successful. The “Curry 2” branded sneaker has sold well since its release last October.

“They are becoming a legitimate player in the footwear business. They’re still very small compared to Nike, but they’ve had some very successful shoes,” Powell said. “The Curry launch, the Curry acquisition, frankly, was one of the real marketing coups of the year. That shoe has performed very well at retail. The future looks really bright for them.”

That’s a crucial development for Under Armour, which remains determined to chip away at Nike 90-percent share of the basketball sneaker market.

yea rfx45 rfx45 I started reading up a bit since I asked and pretty much saw the same numbers. They pale in comparison to Nike though. I think there's an inevitable potential for them to increase in sales (especially MVP Curry) considering how bad/low they've been in the past. They've had their relative share of the performance based basketball shoes for a while. Through sponsorships and general brand awareness.

But I think their ceiling is capped. I'd be willing to bet the market share of consumers are not buying basketball shoes just to play ball in. What sets Nike apart is the designs and fact most of their premier athletes have good looking shoes that you can casually rock. that's subjective, but simply put, you won't catch guys in the club, in the mall rocking under armors and basketball adidas. You'll find plenty of them rocking Jordans, Brons, Kobes, KDs, and every retired Nike athlete to have a sig.

Adidas seems to focus on their lifestyle/casual shoes. Their basketball designers suck too

Definitely agree than Nikes simply has more appeal, there is a reason they dominate the US market and it isn't even close.

I just think without Curry, UA wouldn't be where they at now and they might not invest more money in the development of bball shoes in the future but now that they have a player to develop for, they are forced to and I think they are getting that investment back.

I am not sure if you've read the same article but UA is insistent on staying where they are comfortable in before venturing to other things and bball department is profitable for them without overproducing and they haven't touched on lifestyle yet because they know Nike and Adidas still dominates it so they kind of know what they are doing.

I don't really think they can beat Nike at all, probably not even Adidas in the US anytime soon but then again Skechers did beat Adidas for the #2 spot in the US this year so who knows? And Skechers mainly sold lifestyle/casual/athleisure shoes too.

Back
Top Bottom