Accounting Majors: Jobs out of college?

I'm a sophomore in college. Any of you take part in one of the big 4's summer leadership programs in your sophomore year?

Chiq,

If you're not graduating until May 2012, you still have time to interview next fall.   I would definitely hit up Harris or Elder if you're having a hard time finding placement thus far. 

Chiq,

If you're not graduating until May 2012, you still have time to interview next fall.   I would definitely hit up Harris or Elder if you're having a hard time finding placement thus far. 

Sophomore seems way too early. You've taken intermediate accounting 1?

When I was in school it was Jr. and above for any type of program or internship.

Sophomore seems way too early. You've taken intermediate accounting 1?

When I was in school it was Jr. and above for any type of program or internship.

Okay to answer your initial question, the job title you are looking for is Staff Accountant (Entry-level). However, with accounting you generally should have a job lined up before you leave college. Most accounting firms recruit heavily at certain times, especially the big 4. With those firms you need stellar academic credentials (3.5 GPA+) to have a chance to get in. Skimming the posts it sounds like you have a sub 3.0 GPA? With accounting there are not very many firms that will hire you directly unless you have a naked pic of the boss or something with that GPA.

Your best bet is to use a recruiting agency/temp work agency like Accounttemps or something similar. They will find temporary (1 week to 3 month) job opportunities for you, given your requests and preferences. It is important to remember what your goal is though and be able to wait until the right position/opportunity comes up. My friend was in a similar position, 2.8 GPA or so and was applying to a lot of places and couldn't get a bite from anyone. He didn't really have any relevant experience either. I told him to try this, he did and they gave him a few different offers of places to work at temporarily. He worked for a firm in the accounting department for 4 months as their temp and at the end of the 4 months they offered him a position as a Staff Accountant (50k). A lot of smaller companies go this route because it gives them a real chance to test out an employee, their nature, their abilities, their fit with the staff, before offering them a permanent position.

Okay to answer your initial question, the job title you are looking for is Staff Accountant (Entry-level). However, with accounting you generally should have a job lined up before you leave college. Most accounting firms recruit heavily at certain times, especially the big 4. With those firms you need stellar academic credentials (3.5 GPA+) to have a chance to get in. Skimming the posts it sounds like you have a sub 3.0 GPA? With accounting there are not very many firms that will hire you directly unless you have a naked pic of the boss or something with that GPA.

Your best bet is to use a recruiting agency/temp work agency like Accounttemps or something similar. They will find temporary (1 week to 3 month) job opportunities for you, given your requests and preferences. It is important to remember what your goal is though and be able to wait until the right position/opportunity comes up. My friend was in a similar position, 2.8 GPA or so and was applying to a lot of places and couldn't get a bite from anyone. He didn't really have any relevant experience either. I told him to try this, he did and they gave him a few different offers of places to work at temporarily. He worked for a firm in the accounting department for 4 months as their temp and at the end of the 4 months they offered him a position as a Staff Accountant (50k). A lot of smaller companies go this route because it gives them a real chance to test out an employee, their nature, their abilities, their fit with the staff, before offering them a permanent position.

Chiqga, keep your head up dude.  I was in the exact same position as you last year.  Didn't get any offers my junior/senior year at the University at Buffalo (made it to second round with EY's summer internship but didn't get it).  Felt like crap graduating without a job secured and was stressed for a good year.  Transferred to another SUNY school for my MS because the recruiting is much better here.  After interviewing with 7-9 different companies, I finally got in with EY for a full time position starting September.
My advice to you: Pass as many parts of the CPA as you can this summer and try to apply to a MS program with better recruiting (although I think big4 recruit heavily at syracuse)

Chiqga, keep your head up dude.  I was in the exact same position as you last year.  Didn't get any offers my junior/senior year at the University at Buffalo (made it to second round with EY's summer internship but didn't get it).  Felt like crap graduating without a job secured and was stressed for a good year.  Transferred to another SUNY school for my MS because the recruiting is much better here.  After interviewing with 7-9 different companies, I finally got in with EY for a full time position starting September.
My advice to you: Pass as many parts of the CPA as you can this summer and try to apply to a MS program with better recruiting (although I think big4 recruit heavily at syracuse)

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

hey thanks this sounds like a good route.

i was wondering tho.  don't most accounttemp companies try to hire temp workers with experience tho?
like why would they waste their time (or not) training someone to only work for 4 months (if they didn't planned to hire i mean).

also how does accounttemps work? do I sign up, submit my resume, and just wait for them to set me up with a job?

any insight will help.  thanks for the post again.

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

hey thanks this sounds like a good route.

i was wondering tho.  don't most accounttemp companies try to hire temp workers with experience tho?
like why would they waste their time (or not) training someone to only work for 4 months (if they didn't planned to hire i mean).

also how does accounttemps work? do I sign up, submit my resume, and just wait for them to set me up with a job?

any insight will help.  thanks for the post again.

Originally Posted by SuNiversal

Graduated with a BS/MS in Accounting. I am currently an IT Auditor with PwC. If you have a 3.4 GPA and involved in on campus activities I can get you an interview.

Hook me up, what state are you in? I am doing undergrad ACCTG/IS to get the CPA credits. I was thinking just pure audit before but I am now looking into advisory as well.

Originally Posted by SuNiversal

Graduated with a BS/MS in Accounting. I am currently an IT Auditor with PwC. If you have a 3.4 GPA and involved in on campus activities I can get you an interview.

Hook me up, what state are you in? I am doing undergrad ACCTG/IS to get the CPA credits. I was thinking just pure audit before but I am now looking into advisory as well.

Back
Top Bottom