Accounting Majors: Jobs out of college?

Originally Posted by kidplay

could you provide some more detailed information like what school you go to and where you'd like to relocate to?
I only ask because I think that the big 4 (Pricewaterhouse coopers, Ernst and Young, KPMG and Deloitte) usually look only at "target" schools.  There are some good sized middle market firms though like McGladrey and Grant Thornton. 

I haven't had too many accounting interviews but from what i hear, GPA is extremely important into getting your foot in the door ie getting the initial interview.  Obviously having contacts would be the easiest way to go around this.  

I believe "associate" is the title for entry level positions (i could be wrong as it could be analysts) and while there are many departments in an accounting firm, i believe Tax and Auditing are the two main departments. 

Also i know you want to live in a warm climated area (who doesnt?) but i believe that auditors travel, sometimes for months at a time, a lot so you may not always be in a warm climate.... just food for thought.  

I think those in the tax dept also travel too, as you may be required to be on site for your client.  However, I believe that may be somewhat more localized. 

the best place to look for jobs is usually through your college career center. obviously look on sites to supplement that, but usually your school's career center gives you the best chances of landing a job. 

I'm not extremely familiar with the accounting industry but hope this info helps.
Everything you said is on point.
I'm also in a similar boat. I'm located in NYC, attend Syracuse University (senior now), have a 3.7 GPA, plan to get my MS of Accounting within May 2012, and have had several interviews with large public accounting firms through my career center, including two second round "office" interviews. I'm also involved in some campus activities and organizations designated for accounting/finance majors (Beta Alpha Psi and NABA). I interviewed with McGladrey & Pullen, KPMG, Grant Thornton, and Ernst & Young for first rounds, and made it to the finals rounds with GT and E&Y. I was generally relying on those opportunities since I knew I had a good chance of closing the deals, but unfortunately, I ended up with nothing.

I'm starting to get a little scared since I'm already a Senior in undergrad and still jobless after missing all of those opportunities so far. Hopefully things will start coming to me once I get into grad school, and obtain the MS and CPA. But things would've been a lot easier and my mind would've been more stress-free if I received an offer from those companies I interviewed with. On to the next one I guess.. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by kidplay

could you provide some more detailed information like what school you go to and where you'd like to relocate to?
I only ask because I think that the big 4 (Pricewaterhouse coopers, Ernst and Young, KPMG and Deloitte) usually look only at "target" schools.  There are some good sized middle market firms though like McGladrey and Grant Thornton. 

I haven't had too many accounting interviews but from what i hear, GPA is extremely important into getting your foot in the door ie getting the initial interview.  Obviously having contacts would be the easiest way to go around this.  

I believe "associate" is the title for entry level positions (i could be wrong as it could be analysts) and while there are many departments in an accounting firm, i believe Tax and Auditing are the two main departments. 

Also i know you want to live in a warm climated area (who doesnt?) but i believe that auditors travel, sometimes for months at a time, a lot so you may not always be in a warm climate.... just food for thought.  

I think those in the tax dept also travel too, as you may be required to be on site for your client.  However, I believe that may be somewhat more localized. 

the best place to look for jobs is usually through your college career center. obviously look on sites to supplement that, but usually your school's career center gives you the best chances of landing a job. 

I'm not extremely familiar with the accounting industry but hope this info helps.
Everything you said is on point.
I'm also in a similar boat. I'm located in NYC, attend Syracuse University (senior now), have a 3.7 GPA, plan to get my MS of Accounting within May 2012, and have had several interviews with large public accounting firms through my career center, including two second round "office" interviews. I'm also involved in some campus activities and organizations designated for accounting/finance majors (Beta Alpha Psi and NABA). I interviewed with McGladrey & Pullen, KPMG, Grant Thornton, and Ernst & Young for first rounds, and made it to the finals rounds with GT and E&Y. I was generally relying on those opportunities since I knew I had a good chance of closing the deals, but unfortunately, I ended up with nothing.

I'm starting to get a little scared since I'm already a Senior in undergrad and still jobless after missing all of those opportunities so far. Hopefully things will start coming to me once I get into grad school, and obtain the MS and CPA. But things would've been a lot easier and my mind would've been more stress-free if I received an offer from those companies I interviewed with. On to the next one I guess.. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by bballj228

for anybody who has worked in a big 4 right out of college.. what opportunities opened up for you after?
i worked big four...i left and am now working in corporate finance for a fortune 500 company. usually it's pretty easy since they're most of your clients...they know what they're getting. lot of times it could even be a client you worked on

Son hit me up on the pm!! I saw you said you left public...where you at now? I'm not guessing 500 times

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by bballj228

for anybody who has worked in a big 4 right out of college.. what opportunities opened up for you after?
i worked big four...i left and am now working in corporate finance for a fortune 500 company. usually it's pretty easy since they're most of your clients...they know what they're getting. lot of times it could even be a client you worked on

Son hit me up on the pm!! I saw you said you left public...where you at now? I'm not guessing 500 times

Originally Posted by chrome vapors

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

CPA here - graduated from a California state school and had a job lined up with a national firm prior to graduation. Have since moved on but remain in Public Accounting. I'm at a top 10 firm now.
If you don't mind, what was your GPA?

Not great by any means but I had things going on that forced me to come home more. Like a 2.8-9

CPA here - graduated from a California state school and had a job lined up with a national firm prior to graduation. Have since moved on but remain in Public Accounting. I'm at a top 10 firm now.

Not great by any means but I had things going on that forced me to come home more. Like a 2.8-9

and employers asked about your gpa and u said u had stuff going on at home?

and employers asked about your gpa and u said u had stuff going on at home?

My parents had cancer at various times throughout my tenure. Plus I double majored so it wasnt like I was getting B- and C+ in Sports Film 101

My parents had cancer at various times throughout my tenure. Plus I double majored so it wasnt like I was getting B- and C+ in Sports Film 101

I'm starting my junior year as an Accounting major. My GPA is currently a 3.9.

I joined NABA my freshman year, and it was nice to make connections at their conferences. I landed an interview with PwC but they overlooked that I was a freshman and once they saw that I pretty much got put to the side.

Major firms (like the Big 4) prefer interns in their Junior/Senior years so that they can mold and shape you into an ideal employee, if you choose to go that route.

I have a connection with a Deloitte recruiter, but I have to keep tabs with her since my school is fairly small and is not on their recruiting list.

All & all, I don't plan on going into public accounting per say, forensic accounting is where it's at.
pimp.gif

grin.gif

I'm starting my junior year as an Accounting major. My GPA is currently a 3.9.

I joined NABA my freshman year, and it was nice to make connections at their conferences. I landed an interview with PwC but they overlooked that I was a freshman and once they saw that I pretty much got put to the side.

Major firms (like the Big 4) prefer interns in their Junior/Senior years so that they can mold and shape you into an ideal employee, if you choose to go that route.

I have a connection with a Deloitte recruiter, but I have to keep tabs with her since my school is fairly small and is not on their recruiting list.

All & all, I don't plan on going into public accounting per say, forensic accounting is where it's at.
pimp.gif

grin.gif

I am a senior at the University of Maryland and I wil be starting as an auditor for BDO. My GPA isn't the best but I did have some experiences that set me aside from my peers.

OP, if you go to a target school, the Big 4 and some of the other larger firms might be doing last minute recruting during the spring.

Anyone in IT audit want to give a quick rundown of your roles and reponsibilities?

I am a senior at the University of Maryland and I wil be starting as an auditor for BDO. My GPA isn't the best but I did have some experiences that set me aside from my peers.

OP, if you go to a target school, the Big 4 and some of the other larger firms might be doing last minute recruting during the spring.

Anyone in IT audit want to give a quick rundown of your roles and reponsibilities?

Would you mind posting some advice in regards to obtaining a job upon graduation?

I am a Financial Economics major at UMBC (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) and I plan to graduate this December with the requirements to take the CPA Exam, which I plan to do.

After becoming a CPA, what do you suggest I do to market myself to the best companies, to make myself the best candidate, etc.?

Would you mind posting some advice in regards to obtaining a job upon graduation?

I am a Financial Economics major at UMBC (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) and I plan to graduate this December with the requirements to take the CPA Exam, which I plan to do.

After becoming a CPA, what do you suggest I do to market myself to the best companies, to make myself the best candidate, etc.?

Lil sis is a junior at FAMU and already has a job offer from the KPMG... I couldn't be more proud of her....

Her GPA is a 3.8 and she is involved around campus...

Lil sis is a junior at FAMU and already has a job offer from the KPMG... I couldn't be more proud of her....

Her GPA is a 3.8 and she is involved around campus...

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06

Honestly, in public accounting having the CPA is marketing in itself. Firms are always looking for CPAs because that means they won't have to the you the bonus and you won't need time off to study.I utilized my career center the semester before graduation and interviewed a ton. I'd even go on ones I didn't really like the firm much just to practice.It really comes down to getting along with the interviewers and if you're coming out of school having talking points from your academic career.Last week I worked 70 hours.

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06

Honestly, in public accounting having the CPA is marketing in itself. Firms are always looking for CPAs because that means they won't have to the you the bonus and you won't need time off to study.I utilized my career center the semester before graduation and interviewed a ton. I'd even go on ones I didn't really like the firm much just to practice.It really comes down to getting along with the interviewers and if you're coming out of school having talking points from your academic career.Last week I worked 70 hours.

I'm a sophomore in college. Any of you take part in one of the big 4's summer leadership programs in your sophomore year?

Back
Top Bottom