Accounting Majors: Jobs out of college?

i wanna know this too...my major is economics tho. another thing i wanna know is: will i have to cut my dreads to get a job? can i at least go in there on sum cousin jeff !%%! wit the glasses & my hair in a ponytail & look profesional?

Originally Posted by rightinthekisser

I'm a business major and to be honest I used fools like you as stepping stones to where I am right now... so go ahead junior make your move I'm sure there's a lot of sharks to take advantage. If you're asking for career advice on a sneaker board....you already lost. 

grin.gif

Originally Posted by rightinthekisser

I'm a business major and to be honest I used fools like you as stepping stones to where I am right now... so go ahead junior make your move I'm sure there's a lot of sharks to take advantage. If you're asking for career advice on a sneaker board....you already lost. 

grin.gif

Originally Posted by eashawty

i wanna know this too...my major is economics tho. another thing i wanna know is: will i have to cut my dreads to get a job? can i at least go in there on sum cousin jeff !%%! wit the glasses & my hair in a ponytail & look profesional?

I had long hair and a goatee before. Once I went on interviews I got a 2 all around and shaved off all facial hair.

Originally Posted by eashawty

I had long hair and a goatee before. Once I went on interviews I got a 2 all around and shaved off all facial hair.

Originally Posted by SuNiversal

Graduated with a BS/MS in Accounting. I am currently an IT Auditor with PwC. If you have a 3.4 GPA and involved in on campus activities I can get you an interview.
Yeah. You should work for one of the big public accounting firms. They'll work you, but at least you'll get your CPA and learn something. Then you can move on to bigger and better things.

Graduated with a BS/MS in Accounting. I am currently an IT Auditor with PwC. If you have a 3.4 GPA and involved in on campus activities I can get you an interview.
Yeah. You should work for one of the big public accounting firms. They'll work you, but at least you'll get your CPA and learn something. Then you can move on to bigger and better things.

eek.gif
sounds good.

Were you part of an auditing team right out college? what was your position of your job?

and where is you PWC office located?

eek.gif
sounds good.

Were you part of an auditing team right out college? what was your position of your job?

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

eek.gif
sounds good.

I worked at The Bank of New York Mellon for 2 1/2 years while I was in school. Once I graduated I started working with PwC my office is in Manhattan, NY.

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

eek.gif
sounds good.

I worked at The Bank of New York Mellon for 2 1/2 years while I was in school. Once I graduated I started working with PwC my office is in Manhattan, NY.

CPA here - graduated from a California state school and had a job lined up with a national firm prior to graduation. Have since moved on but remain in Public Accounting. I'm at a top 10 firm now.

CPA here - graduated from a California state school and had a job lined up with a national firm prior to graduation. Have since moved on but remain in Public Accounting. I'm at a top 10 firm now.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

If you don't mind, what was your GPA?

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

If you don't mind, what was your GPA?

for anybody who has worked in a big 4 right out of college.. what opportunities opened up for you after?

for anybody who has worked in a big 4 right out of college.. what opportunities opened up for you after?

It's hard to find a job out here in LA. If you haven't already been recruited by a mid-size/large firm, its probably going to be pretty tough.

It's hard to find a job out here in LA. If you haven't already been recruited by a mid-size/large firm, its probably going to be pretty tough.

could you provide some more detailed information like what school you go to and where you'd like to relocate to?
I only ask because I think that the big 4 (Pricewaterhouse coopers, Ernst and Young, KPMG and Deloitte) usually look only at "target" schools.  There are some good sized middle market firms though like McGladrey and Grant Thornton. 

I haven't had too many accounting interviews but from what i hear, GPA is extremely important into getting your foot in the door ie getting the initial interview.  Obviously having contacts would be the easiest way to go around this.  

I believe "associate" is the title for entry level positions (i could be wrong as it could be analysts) and while there are many departments in an accounting firm, i believe Tax and Auditing are the two main departments. 

Also i know you want to live in a warm climated area (who doesnt?) but i believe that auditors travel, sometimes for months at a time, a lot so you may not always be in a warm climate.... just food for thought.  

I think those in the tax dept also travel too, as you may be required to be on site for your client.  However, I believe that may be somewhat more localized. 

the best place to look for jobs is usually through your college career center. obviously look on sites to supplement that, but usually your school's career center gives you the best chances of landing a job. 

I'm not extremely familiar with the accounting industry but hope this info helps.

could you provide some more detailed information like what school you go to and where you'd like to relocate to?
I only ask because I think that the big 4 (Pricewaterhouse coopers, Ernst and Young, KPMG and Deloitte) usually look only at "target" schools.  There are some good sized middle market firms though like McGladrey and Grant Thornton. 

I haven't had too many accounting interviews but from what i hear, GPA is extremely important into getting your foot in the door ie getting the initial interview.  Obviously having contacts would be the easiest way to go around this.  

I believe "associate" is the title for entry level positions (i could be wrong as it could be analysts) and while there are many departments in an accounting firm, i believe Tax and Auditing are the two main departments. 

Also i know you want to live in a warm climated area (who doesnt?) but i believe that auditors travel, sometimes for months at a time, a lot so you may not always be in a warm climate.... just food for thought.  

I think those in the tax dept also travel too, as you may be required to be on site for your client.  However, I believe that may be somewhat more localized. 

the best place to look for jobs is usually through your college career center. obviously look on sites to supplement that, but usually your school's career center gives you the best chances of landing a job. 

I'm not extremely familiar with the accounting industry but hope this info helps.

Originally Posted by bballj228

i worked big four...i left and am now working in corporate finance for a fortune 500 company. usually it's pretty easy since they're most of your clients...they know what they're getting. lot of times it could even be a client you worked on

Originally Posted by bballj228

i worked big four...i left and am now working in corporate finance for a fortune 500 company. usually it's pretty easy since they're most of your clients...they know what they're getting. lot of times it could even be a client you worked on

Back
Top Bottom