A must watch for past, present, and future students with Student Loan Debt...

teachers should be making bank, im talking about 80,000 to 120,000 a year, which would make it more competitive and help society in the long run. This wouldget rid of a lot of the idiot teachers as well, since a lot of very smart people choose not to teach because of how @%!@+@ the system is and go onto othercareer paths

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by romedadude

I'ma watch this in a little bit. But, first I have to finish this HW so I can graduate college, make money, and pay back these student loans.
laugh.gif

roll.gif

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

teachers should be making bank, im talking about 80,000 to 120,000 a year, which would make it more competitive and help society in the long run. This would get rid of a lot of the idiot teachers as well, since a lot of very smart people choose not to teach because of how @%!@+@ the system is and go onto other career paths
I agree. My mom has been a special ed teacher for almost 30 years and from seeing the hard work she does I feel like many teachers areunappreciated and underpaid. The kids that my mom has to deal with have emotional behavior disorders and the stories she's told me are wild. We placeemphasis on the wrong professions in America.

You can blame it on Government. They keep on expanding credit for students, therefore universities can raise rates. In the end, it hurts the student.

No way Cornell's tuition should go up 50% from 01-09.

"teachers should be making bank, im talking about 80,000 to 120,000 a year, which would make it more competitive and help society in the long run. Thiswould get rid of a lot of the idiot teachers as well, since a lot of very smart people choose not to teach because of how @%!@+@ the system is and go ontoother career paths"

I completely agree. Also, teachers need to be evaluated and tested yearly. There are way too many bad teachers in the system right now. The TeachersUnion also wields too much power in keeping bad teachers employed. There are some teachers though, that put their heart and soul into teaching, and they dealwith a lot. Not only from students and parents, but also dealing with the bad reputation of terrible teachers. Increasing their salary will open up the fieldto new "talent", and more stringent evaluations and testing would keep these teachers from taking their jobs and roles in society for granted.

That being said, I didn't have to pay a dime for my Undergrad education. One of the benefits of growing up poor to a single mother,
ohwell.gif
. I'm grateful that I don't have loans, 'cause even with my BA, itis rough trying to get a decent job. Loan payments would've sunk me.

I agree with some points being raised about the standard of teaching...

Here in the UK that seems to be most graduates plan B if they cant manage to get into their field of preference... i know are fair few people my age or youngerwho are teachers (24 and under) and that just seems too young to me.

teachers should be making bank, im talking about 80,000 to 120,000 a year, which would make it more competitive and help society in the long run. This would get rid of a lot of the idiot teachers as well, since a lot of very smart people choose not to teach because of how @%!@+@ the system is and go onto other career paths
I agree some teachers should be making more. But I think your idea would only attract people who are after the money and the benefits,not because they want to teach. I also read some charter schools pay better than public schools...

It is really is too easy to get loans. Most my friends in college got loans in excess of about $5k of tuition and books, he though it was spending money andforgot he had to pay it back. Sames goes with most med students/law students who will be well over $100k in debt by the time they are 30.....It doesn't payout some times, but the reality is ts depressing at times. The thing with the top tier schools, for ex USC, they have a larger almuni that gets their studentsmore connected to jobs.

Angel

Been ducking Sallie for a good 2 years now.
Now, Im in default, and owe $32k. I been
gettin deferments, but stopped, just dont
have it to be giving it up. They finally caught
me today, and now I have to pay principle
interest of $230 a month until July just to get
out of default, which isnt that bad, but damn.
Hell, I even avoided comin into this thread.

I knew I was goin to have to pay it back of course,
but I was tryin to pay it all at once, through a financial
opportunity that has yet to happen.

tired.gif
could always be worse tho.

woooord...

me personally... i didnt know it was this bad... this just makes me more thankful of my situation.... but certain degrees just dont pay out...

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

laugh.gif

I don't even go to a big school and I hate the fact I have to borrow so much money.

I can't imagine schools were everything costs $40 ro $50k or higher.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by BigShake

Anyone have an answer to these debt situations? I'm in a cc right now with a plan on majoring in chemical or mechanical engineering
when I transfer to a university here in California and I don't want to be in major debt after college. My gpa is only 3.0, so most scholarships
are out of the question. And I'm in the lower-middle class so i can't leech money out of the government. Hey, who wouldn't mind getting a
free ride from big brother? And I'm not sure if the race card works anymore with scholarships but I am mexican/native-american.

Any advice/answers?....seems like theres only speculation on this subject thus far.

p.s Real Talk

I think the only answer I can give you concerning "these debt" situations is DON'T GET INTO IT. In other words, if you can help it, avoiddebt--which may be in the form of student loans and/or credit card debt. The real question that must be asked now is, just how "practical" andfeasible is debt avoidance in a society built on the business of accumulated debt by citizens, and propelled by the consumption of unnecessary material goodsthese very same citizens.

In my opinion, I think you've already taken steps--whether you realize this or not-- to mitigate your potential debt situation by first attending acommunity college and second, working toward a degree that is highly coveted which is rooted in field that is functionally necessary in any society(Engineering).

Also, don't rule yourself out and/or drop out the scholarship chase because you have a 3.0 gpa. A 3.0 qualifies you for many scholarships--heck, there arescholarships out there that require a minimums of at least 2.5, 2.0. I've seen 'em with my own eyes. So a 3.0 is worth something--you just have to findthose particular scholarships. That said, don't be complacent with the current state of your academic gpa. The roof measures out at 4.0 and clearly,you're not there sooooooo it wouldn't hurt you to bring that up. I don't have a 4.0 either--but best believe I'm putting in work to get there.

Lastly the "race-card", as you so eloquently put it (
laugh.gif
) stillworks; though, personally, I prefer the term "under-privileged-minority-card". Being both Mexican and especially, Native American, definitely makesyou worthy of some of these minority based scholarships out here. It's just a question of whether you're willing to put in the work to find 'em,fill 'em out, and send 'em in.

Remember, Google is also your friend...

The MESBEC program is the oldest of CTD's programs. The six priority fields of study are math, engineering, science, business, education, and computers. Science includes all the medical fields. These fields are the ones in which tribes need graduates the most, and the fields in which there are the fewest Indian graduates.
The Native American Leadership Education program (NALE) is for Native students who are paraprofessionals in Indian schools, and who plan to complete their degree in education, counseling, or school administration. Since only 7% of teachers in reservation schools are Indians, the need for more Indian teachers is huge.

The Tribal Business Management program (TBM) is for students in business, finance, management, economics, banking, hotel management, and related fields who plan to work in economic development for tribes.
Our scholarship program operates nationwide. Scholarships range from $500 to $5,000 per academic year. Scholarships are awarded on merit and on the basis of the students we feel will most likely improve the lives of Indian people. CTD provides supplementary scholarship funding for those who have received college funding from other sources. Competition is very intense, with only 55% of applicants receiving scholarships.

http://www.gocollege.com/...erican-scholarships.html

http://www.catchingthedream.org/Scholarship.htm

Just to get you started...
happy.gif

[h1]Crftz333.niketalk[/h1]

Definitely agree with you on many points. However, I believe that many of these "liberal arts" degrees do more good than evil, and are morebeneficial than they are harmful. All it takes is for members of any society to realize this, instead of being enamored with money. If you do your homework,you'll realize that the "liberal arts" was the only train of academic thought offered back in the days of, for example, Chaucer, Shakespeare,Michelangelo...etc. That's because back then, real societal regard was placed on a "liberal" education, contrary to contemporary values.That's why people were arguably smarter back then--and why polymaths and genuine renaissance men were so common, relative to now.
"a man can do all things if he will." It embodied the basic tenets of Renaissance Humanism which considered man empowered, limitless in his capacities for development, and led to the notion that people should embrace all knowledge and develop their capacities as fully as possible. Thus the gifted men of the Renaissance sought to develop skills in all areas of knowledge, in physical development, in social accomplishments and in the arts.
That was the power of the "liberal arts" and why it was coveted in the past. That said, realize that the "professional andvocational curriculum emphasize specializing", and nothing more. They train you to complete tasks in a very formulaic manner--they train you to"do" what needs to be done and nothing more. All one needs is good-to-excellent memory. The "liberal arts curriculum on the other hand, servesto impart general knowledge and develops a student's rational thought and intellectual capabilities". In other words, it trains you to think. To seebeyond the formula and/or the equation.

Ideally, that was the intended goal of said school of thought. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Even now, within the liberal arts, one merely needsto focus--or rather, specialize--in an individual area of knowledge (biology/ english/ math, history) to be considered "liberally educated"--which inmy opinion, is absolute horse $$!@. And even still, if the original intentions of the liberal arts education were conserved and carried out to the present,they would still be of little value in the eyes of American society for the mere fact that this country is all about the pursuit of MONEY, and nothing else.Thus, professional and vocational degrees will always take precedence over liberal art ones--which is really sad. Given the choice between a teacher and afinancial analyst, following news that civilization was about to end and thus, we would need to rebuild from the ground up, necessitating the need to"save" people with important roles in any society, best believe that I'd select the teacher, or social worker, or historian.

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

Been ducking Sallie for a good 2 years now.
Now, Im in default, and owe $32k. I been
gettin deferments, but stopped, just dont
have it to be giving it up. They finally caught
me today, and now I have to pay principle
interest of $230 a month until July just to get
out of default, which isnt that bad, but damn.

I knew I was goin to have to pay it back of course,
but I was tryin to pay it all at once, through a financial
opportunity that has yet to happen.

tired.gif
could always be worse tho.

32K...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Damn bro...that's tough AND rough...

I thought I had it bad with the 9Gs I owe. How did you accumulate so much...did you go to a private school...?

And as for Sallimae, these mofos are straight despicable...
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Just got off the phone with them about 30 mins ago over some under-handed ishh that's going on with my account. How you put my loans into repayment"mode" when I am still in school. Furthermore, from the time that they activated my repayments (September) up to now, I've accumulated $64 ininterest, on a SUBSIDIZED loan that was not supposed to be activated in the first place. The lady on the phone talkin' 'bout, "well sir, you willhave to repay that $64"--even though that's interest that accrued due to a mistake on y'all part...shhhhhhhhh...

It sounds rough, but if you get intense about getting your student loans paid off, you can do it in a fairly short period of time. I had $17K in student loandebt and paid it off in 22 months. It was one of the best feelings getting to finally kick Sallie Mae out of the house for good. From now on, my wife & Iare paying for our education and our kids education through money that we've actually earned and saved. It's a great feeling when you can have thebank help you pay for school (interest) rather than paying most of it from your future paychecks. If you have to, get a 2nd job that will just pay for yourstudent loan debt. Do whatever it takes because it WILL be worth it when you're done!

I wasn't able to view the video for some reason but I agree with a lot of what's been said in this thread... Great thread.

Education is reverting back to being only accessible to the economic elite. Not that it was ever anywhere near equally available at any point, but it has beenmore than it's becoming...

By and large education is only used a tool for economic advancement rather than the pursuit of knowledge, which is not a good thing. Like others have statedor alluded to, the liberal arts (especially concentrations like sociology, social work, political science, criminal justice, history, etc.) teach people how tothink rather than how to perform a task. Also, they teach people how the world works, which is indispensable knowledgeto have in my opinion... but it typically doesn't pay the bills the way knowing how to perform a specific task does.

Originally Posted by RUTHE1

I'm so glad I decided to go to CC. I knew I was saving money but I had no idea things were THIS bad. I hope the best for you guys that are having to paythese debts. I'm about to go look for scholarships right now.

Yeah CC is definitely where it's at if the price of your education is a considerable factor in attaining said education. I actually took a year off from my home University in order to save money and I'm actually spending that yr at my local CC.

Had I stayed at my home University, I would've had to shell out something in the neighborhood of 20Gs for the year. At the CC that I'm currently attending, I've payed a total of 0$ (including the bill for this spring semester) as my Pell Grant of ~$5300 covers my educational expenses for the entire year (books included), with money left over to purchase other school supplies.

I always look back and ask myself why I chose to go straight to my state University when I could've stayed home, commuted to my local CC, and saved soooo much money...
ohwell.gif

I suppose in hindsight, we sometimes get wrapped up in that whole fantasy that is dubbed, the "ultimate college experience". But the truth is, that experience can be had at an affordable CC just as it can be experienced at a big time, expensive, University--imo. And even so, if you're really about your academics, as you should be, the "ultimate college experience", which has a lot more to do with partying than anything else, should be the last thing on your mind...

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I'm looking at 200000+k

Yeahhhh...but as if you didn't already know, you will have a greater chance than most to wipe them out, and not be hampered by them, given your current academic situation and the field of employment you'll be entering...as if you didn't already know that though...
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

I know a girl that graduated from UCSB and has a 30k debt

I don't know what the hell she was doing cause her major is sociology
on top of that she's pregnant
indifferent.gif

financial aid ftw...no debt and graduating this year
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom