A Look back at Bill Cosby's "Poundcake" Speech

Originally Posted by BTK

I remember first hearing it years ago, and was a bit bothered on his comments. As I got older, I'm starting to realize he's being 100% rational and not quite ranting as I had originally felt. What do you guys think (Please read it)
bill%20cosby%5B1%5D.png

The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won’t spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.
Better to buy them than to make them and it turn out like this....

Gordon+Gartrell.jpg

Originally Posted by BTK

I remember first hearing it years ago, and was a bit bothered on his comments. As I got older, I'm starting to realize he's being 100% rational and not quite ranting as I had originally felt. What do you guys think (Please read it)
bill%20cosby%5B1%5D.png

The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won’t spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.
Better to buy them than to make them and it turn out like this....

Gordon+Gartrell.jpg

Read 2 books about it (from both sides), and wrote a 15 page paper on it..

At the end of the day there were things that he said that were good about having personal responsibility (but he made the speech as if black people are the only ones lacking it, when collectively as a society America lack personal responsibility) but the majority of his speech were gross generalizations, stereotypes, and done of the highest form of irresponsibility which makes it an ironic speech

I am white btw ATLien Seeko

At the end of the day there were things that he said that were good about having personal responsibility (but he made the speech as if black people are the only ones lacking it, when collectively as a society America lack personal responsibility) but the majority of his speech were gross generalizations, stereotypes, and done of the highest form of irresponsibility which makes it an ironic speech

Originally Posted by Essential1

He was speaking to his side. Us black people. Gotta clean your house before you can clean anyone elses.

He was speaking to his side. Us black people. Gotta clean your house before you can clean anyone elses.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

But to defend what he said..About black people not speaking well when he had a show based off speaking in slang and ebonics called Fat Albert...

Among a vast array of flaws in his "logic"

But to defend what he said..About black people not speaking well when he had a show based off speaking in slang and ebonics called Fat Albert...

i really don't like bill cosby....nothing but talk imo....

other black voices i'd rather hear then his

Point, but we all get older, we all come to realizations of change needed to be made. He is free to speak on the problems that are VERY real.

i really don't like bill cosby....nothing but talk imo....

other black voices i'd rather hear then his

Point, but we all get older, we all come to realizations of change needed to be made. He is free to speak on the problems that are VERY real.

The man never explained the problems... He passed it aside as problems that have no generator. They just happened.. He never explains them.. He never says how that happens... He talks... But offers no solutions.. He offers judgement.

Bill Cosby is the man who in his 50's  during the "Cosby Show" said he will not deal with race issues because using race is a "crutch"

He talks about how black people don't understand English when one of the cornerstones of American English accents (The Southern Accent) came from black people trying to pronounce/learn english words when they were slaves.

He talks about black people now not holding up their end of the deal, when the drop out rate is 50%.. The drop out rate in 1980 = 19.8%  in 2008 = 9.9%.  And it is almost a 50% decline since the late 60's... Currently there are more black college attendees and graduates than there ever have been

Then to blame black people for being materialistic, when I don't hear the rich being demonized.. I don't hear a mention of G.W. Bush saying Americans need to go out and shop after 9/11

Finally, look at the company he keeps.. When he said this Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, and the rest of the Conservative Talking Machine came to his defense.. And I don't have to tell you how wrong those guys are about issues of racial matters.

The man never explained the problems... He passed it aside as problems that have no generator. They just happened.. He never explains them.. He never says how that happens... He talks... But offers no solutions.. He offers judgement.

Bill Cosby is the man who in his 50's  during the "Cosby Show" said he will not deal with race issues because using race is a "crutch"

He talks about how black people don't understand English when one of the cornerstones of American English accents (The Southern Accent) came from black people trying to pronounce/learn english words when they were slaves.

He talks about black people now not holding up their end of the deal, when the drop out rate is 50%.. The drop out rate in 1980 = 19.8%  in 2008 = 9.9%.  And it is almost a 50% decline since the late 60's... Currently there are more black college attendees and graduates than there ever have been

Then to blame black people for being materialistic, when I don't hear the rich being demonized.. I don't hear a mention of G.W. Bush saying Americans need to go out and shop after 9/11

Finally, look at the company he keeps.. When he said this Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, and the rest of the Conservative Talking Machine came to his defense.. And I don't have to tell you how wrong those guys are about issues of racial matters.

It's easy to blam the youth and the parents, but what could/would you do if you were enslaved for generations and "set free" with barely any idea about who you are and what you are to be doing in this world? What about families that have pretty much always been low income families and never had anyone to excel and make it in corporate America? The enslavement was more than physical, it was also mental and a mental issue is a tough thing to deal with.

It's easy to blam the youth and the parents, but what could/would you do if you were enslaved for generations and "set free" with barely any idea about who you are and what you are to be doing in this world? What about families that have pretty much always been low income families and never had anyone to excel and make it in corporate America? The enslavement was more than physical, it was also mental and a mental issue is a tough thing to deal with.

Originally Posted by datprepboivinc3

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

laugh.gif

I like how the white kids come in and say "100% agree" "agree 100%"
laugh.gif
Well, I'm black and I agree 100% with what he said
Make that 2x

He has a point about there not being enough emphasis on education...and how people of previous generations fought for the opportunities some folks take for granted 

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Make that 2x

He has a point about there not being enough emphasis on education...and how people of previous generations fought for the opportunities some folks take for granted 

Originally Posted by biff lawson

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Make that 2x

honestly, you know theres folks around the way who cop 500 kanye west lv's sneakers, mind you their lights about to get cutoff. 
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom