A Look back at Bill Cosby's "Poundcake" Speech

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I give you logical reasoning, yall give me a "MAN, GET THAT %#*$ OUT OF HERE" ....... Sooo......
I didn't think your response warranted much more than that, really.
eyes.gif

Did you notice that the majority of the people who "agreed 100%" before your initial response were black? Did you also take notice that the 5-7 people thereafter that quoted you saying they agreed with Bill were also black? I have a problem with the lack of accountability when it comes to problems that plague the black community. We have been free as a people for centuries, man. Why are you still talking about "what if your people were suddenly set free in the world with no idea how to survive?" If we didn't know how to back then, we damn sure should know by now.

Do you not understand that this is a defining reason why so many Black Americans (with slave blood) are behind in so many aspects? Are you seriously going to say that doesnt play a key factor and physical and mental opression and supression of an entire group of people wouldnt leave some kind of evident scarring? Seriously?

Give me your logical explaination and I'll listen. Otherwise, you're just saying "preach on reverend!"

^^ And with that said, were doing a lot better than we were even ten years ago, plus or minus a few casualties. You think Black Americans are the only ones doing better? Probably not... Sooo... Were constantly playing catch up, which means we would have to work TWICE as hard as everyone else to meet the "standard" and be "up to par" with any other people in the United States. It makes a lot of sense to me.

^^ And with that said, were doing a lot better than we were even ten years ago, plus or minus a few casualties. You think Black Americans are the only ones doing better? Probably not... Sooo... Were constantly playing catch up, which means we would have to work TWICE as hard as everyone else to meet the "standard" and be "up to par" with any other people in the United States. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Originally Posted by frshstunna

i never understood why people(black and white) always wanna to speak out on whats going on with the poor, lower class blacks...when its the same exact thing going on with lower class and poor white and latino people....poor whites get ignored overall and thats not a good thing either...
Many white people, including poor white people, seem to not acknowledge a white lower class exists. Like they be straight flabbergasted when you tell them 37% of welfare recipients are white, which is the same % as black (which yes I know, there's more white people than black people so that'd mean a higher % of the overall black population), or talk about affirmative action and white women. They swear every white has a 5 acre estates, summers in the Alps, and has a son studying at Juilliard, and daughter abroad at boarding school- online anyways. It's not really a huge point of discussion in person.

But this isn't even the whole speech. They left out his classic ending, "God is tired of you and I am too!" or something of that effect

Originally Posted by frshstunna

i never understood why people(black and white) always wanna to speak out on whats going on with the poor, lower class blacks...when its the same exact thing going on with lower class and poor white and latino people....poor whites get ignored overall and thats not a good thing either...
Many white people, including poor white people, seem to not acknowledge a white lower class exists. Like they be straight flabbergasted when you tell them 37% of welfare recipients are white, which is the same % as black (which yes I know, there's more white people than black people so that'd mean a higher % of the overall black population), or talk about affirmative action and white women. They swear every white has a 5 acre estates, summers in the Alps, and has a son studying at Juilliard, and daughter abroad at boarding school- online anyways. It's not really a huge point of discussion in person.

But this isn't even the whole speech. They left out his classic ending, "God is tired of you and I am too!" or something of that effect

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

They left out his classic ending, "God is tired of you and I am too!" or something of that effect

And that sentence gives you the entire motive, and effectiveness of his speech..

Like said before all this was, was giving credence to Low-Key white racists to have a person to pin their flag on.

This didn't help anyone.. This didn't raise any matters to light... This didn't change anything....  He did a good old fashion bomb throwing into a classic street..

Reckless, Irresponsible, Dangerous, Counter-Productive, and Unintelligent are the only words that could be used to categorize this speech..

They left out his classic ending, "God is tired of you and I am too!" or something of that effect

And that sentence gives you the entire motive, and effectiveness of his speech..

Like said before all this was, was giving credence to Low-Key white racists to have a person to pin their flag on.

This didn't help anyone.. This didn't raise any matters to light... This didn't change anything....  He did a good old fashion bomb throwing into a classic street..

Reckless, Irresponsible, Dangerous, Counter-Productive, and Unintelligent are the only words that could be used to categorize this speech..

I don't see anywhere in your post where you addressed this question:
but can you honestly say we don't just as much add to our own destruction?

We may be doing better than we were 10 years ago, although I hardly see the difference. Maybe we are doing better statistically speaking (better test scores, less incarceration, so on) but then I would have to ask you for proof of that.

Your wording is kinda confusing, but I see what you're saying. I dont know if we add just as much to our own destruction as anything else does. Maybe we are adding just as much to our own destruction (bad parenting, higher drug use, so on) but then I would have to ask you for proof of that.

I don't see anywhere in your post where you addressed this question:
but can you honestly say we don't just as much add to our own destruction?

We may be doing better than we were 10 years ago, although I hardly see the difference. Maybe we are doing better statistically speaking (better test scores, less incarceration, so on) but then I would have to ask you for proof of that.

Your wording is kinda confusing, but I see what you're saying. I dont know if we add just as much to our own destruction as anything else does. Maybe we are adding just as much to our own destruction (bad parenting, higher drug use, so on) but then I would have to ask you for proof of that.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Yep, believing in accountability is pandering  to racists.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

But stating issues in the black community without addressing the cause... Without offering a solution... Just keeping a holier than thou attitude.. Calling them unsuccessful, failures, disgraces, etc..

IS pandering to racists

If he addressed personal accountability... Gave the back drop of what happens in these poor neighborhoods, and stated what could be done... No one would have an issue with it..

And once again, when Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are defending your position on race.. You know you missed the mark

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

But stating issues in the black community without addressing the cause... Without offering a solution... Just keeping a holier than thou attitude.. Calling them unsuccessful, failures, disgraces, etc..

IS pandering to racists

If he addressed personal accountability... Gave the back drop of what happens in these poor neighborhoods, and stated what could be done... No one would have an issue with it..

And once again, when Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are defending your position on race.. You know you missed the mark

Very well said. It wasnt a speach. It was a rant. But we will always have those devils advocates that want to have their little hypothetical inputs, so it's probably best to just overlook those little unsupported, instigating comments and focus on people who really want to talk about it.

Very well said. It wasnt a speach. It was a rant. But we will always have those devils advocates that want to have their little hypothetical inputs, so it's probably best to just overlook those little unsupported, instigating comments and focus on people who really want to talk about it.

The man is entitled to an opinion and I agree/disagree with what he is saying. He is really taking everything at face value though. Some people don't have a point of reference so in creating one they are going to make mistakes or do things that are hard to agree with. He isn't in the thick of actually trying to make it in the modern world, he is an old billionaire throwing rocks because he feels his out dated ideals still hold weight.

The man is entitled to an opinion and I agree/disagree with what he is saying. He is really taking everything at face value though. Some people don't have a point of reference so in creating one they are going to make mistakes or do things that are hard to agree with. He isn't in the thick of actually trying to make it in the modern world, he is an old billionaire throwing rocks because he feels his out dated ideals still hold weight.

Back
Top Bottom