A Look back at Bill Cosby's "Poundcake" Speech

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

I thought i'd feel different, but i don't, nope. Still the same hypocritical, ignorant, bigoted rant. Of course if you approach it from a broad angle, it's rational. Essentially you pull personal accountability from it, even though that's not what he's really hinting at. Bill Cosby ain't on the block, he doesn't fraternize with these characters he created, he didn't focus on positives (at a college graduation full of young black people no less), Despite all his hifalutinness his kids still turned out bad. He's curmudgeonly old man waving his cane effectively saying "get off my lawn". You got the influence and means to make a difference, do something.

what hapepned with cosby's kids?

i'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything.. i honestly want to know

I remember one of his daughters just being a straight problem, drugs, alcohol, promiscuity etc.  Sometimes you just can't make someone right no matter how much you try.

Erinn Cosby.

There are parts of the speech I agree with, and some I don't. The parts I don't agree with center mainly around the generation gap. 

There are parts of the speech I agree with, and some I don't. The parts I don't agree with center mainly around the generation gap. 

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

When he want on his tour for these speeches though, he was going places his intended audience doesn't even frequent though. Dude was on the Bill O'Reilly show and Meet The Press. Anyways, plenty of black people just get tired of hearing all this woe-is-me generalization crap if it doesn't apply to them. Like if I graduated college, and have a good job, and am the general antithesis to the other "problems" we black people are generally identified as, then how am I supposed to feel? Words like some, most, x%, etc. never come into play when talking about black people and something negative, always all encompassing.

This. I agree with Bill saying parents need to take more responsibility with their children. But there are many african americans like me who are sick of people talking like this applies to all blacks. Yeah some people are not doing things right I get it but dont just make blanketed comments like i agree with him 100%, black people need to take responsibilty and all that mess. Just let people live their life and stop trying to cast all black people in that way.

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

When he want on his tour for these speeches though, he was going places his intended audience doesn't even frequent though. Dude was on the Bill O'Reilly show and Meet The Press. Anyways, plenty of black people just get tired of hearing all this woe-is-me generalization crap if it doesn't apply to them. Like if I graduated college, and have a good job, and am the general antithesis to the other "problems" we black people are generally identified as, then how am I supposed to feel? Words like some, most, x%, etc. never come into play when talking about black people and something negative, always all encompassing.

This. I agree with Bill saying parents need to take more responsibility with their children. But there are many african americans like me who are sick of people talking like this applies to all blacks. Yeah some people are not doing things right I get it but dont just make blanketed comments like i agree with him 100%, black people need to take responsibilty and all that mess. Just let people live their life and stop trying to cast all black people in that way.

I mean he has a few if not a lot of good points but, just like most arguments, he can't be 100% correct. I do feel like us blacks tend to glorify things that glamorize our image but still tarnish our character and I'm sure I'm not the only one

I mean he has a few if not a lot of good points but, just like most arguments, he can't be 100% correct. I do feel like us blacks tend to glorify things that glamorize our image but still tarnish our character and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Like Theo wasn't a knucklehead though. 
grin.gif

laugh.gif
@ "who you be".
Frankly I never cared for his rant/speech whatever you want to call it.

laugh.gif
@ "who you be".
Frankly I never cared for his rant/speech whatever you want to call it.

if everyone lived and died for themselves the world would be a much better place.

!%#! your community.

if everyone lived and died for themselves the world would be a much better place.

!%#! your community.

hes right tho.

im colombian if it matters.

my parents generation busted their $@#*+. working sanitation, nursing homes, etc mostly manual labor jobs. but alot of the offspring of these immigrants are lazy and unmotivated. they got the world on a silver platter and are too lazy to go get it..

i have cousins who have every reason to succeed but continue to fail. at some point it is your own damn fault if you are a failure.

i have a cousin who is healthy, speaks perfect english and spanish, has no problems whatsoever...and he is on foodstamps.

comeonson.jpg

its disgusting

hes right tho.

im colombian if it matters.

my parents generation busted their $@#*+. working sanitation, nursing homes, etc mostly manual labor jobs. but alot of the offspring of these immigrants are lazy and unmotivated. they got the world on a silver platter and are too lazy to go get it..

i have cousins who have every reason to succeed but continue to fail. at some point it is your own damn fault if you are a failure.

i have a cousin who is healthy, speaks perfect english and spanish, has no problems whatsoever...and he is on foodstamps.

comeonson.jpg

its disgusting

I thought i'd feel different, but i don't, nope. Still the same hypocritical, ignorant, bigoted rant. Of course if you approach it from a broad angle, it's rational. Essentially you pull personal accountability from it, even though that's not what he's really hinting at. Bill Cosby ain't on the block, he doesn't fraternize with these characters he created, he didn't focus on positives (at a college graduation full of young black people no less), Despite all his hifalutinness his kids still turned out bad. He's curmudgeonly old man waving his cane effectively saying "get off my lawn". You got the influence and means to make a difference, do something.

I see what you're saying, but in regards to the "college graduation full of young black people" that's not what he's talking about. He's talking about the "otherside" of that. And when you compare african americans "otherside" vs white americans "otherside" the numbers don't lie, we're (black folks) still on the struggle. At this point, we need more leaders like Malcolm and Martin and less leaders like Lil Wayne and Jay-Z. 

I see what you're saying, but in regards to the "college graduation full of young black people" that's not what he's talking about. He's talking about the "otherside" of that. And when you compare african americans "otherside" vs white americans "otherside" the numbers don't lie, we're (black folks) still on the struggle. At this point, we need more leaders like Malcolm and Martin and less leaders like Lil Wayne and Jay-Z. 

Back
Top Bottom