A Diamond is Forever...or is it?... DeBeers got ya'll again!

YEA sillyputty get some empathy bro  
laugh.gif

before its to late
wink.gif

I have ALWAYS known about the whole DeBeers ad campaign as far as diamonds...but my girl is beautiful, kind, and she takes care of me...she wants a diamond engagement ring. I'm getting her one. End of $$*@!$! story. Does that make me stupid? I don't give a +@@%. She wants a damn diamond and she getting one. I'm tired of the anti-social conspiracy theory brigade here on Niketalk. You know if you want to go make hand babies for your whole life, or you are into Miss Bohemia who doesn't shave her pits or wear deodorant and wears hemp bracelets then by all means go ahead...but stop trying to convince the world that they are doing wrong by buying diamonds. Almost all worth is relative...you $$*@!$! hypebeasts on here think a pair of fruity colored SB's is worth camping out in a line for days in the wet and rainy cold is "worth" it.

Next up for the NikeTalk conspiracy brigade...wiping your #*# with toilet paper causes  rectal cancer due to the TP being treated with a carcinogenic chemical...Oh noes!!!!

Originally Posted by devildog1776

Originally Posted by slickp42189

Originally Posted by devildog1776

deBeers hoards vaults of diamonds worldwide to keep prices high. diamonds are rare nor that dope. i have more gold in my jewelry box than diamonds. the prices are so marked up that the regular dealers see 100 to 200 percent profit on every diamond sold...

go down to the diamond district and the starting price on something dope could be 7 Gs if you had cash you could drop 3 on the counter and itll be yours if it mostly diamonds that the piece is valued off off
wait, are you saying you can buy something with a 7k price tag for only 3k? or are you talking about 3k down for financing? if you mean the first one thats a huge price drop
im saying if you buy a tennis bracelet with 10k white gold , the majority of the price will reflect off of what the dealer is selling the diamonds for being that precious metals have an actual value where as diamonds have value between the buyer and seller... the bracelet cost roughly 2Gs with about 1/4 of the price in the actual gold and the diamonds make up the rest of the price... you'll always beat them down because once your the buyer with cash you have control of the situation while the jeweler is trying to at least break even on this piece that been sitting there for 1.5 yrs... 
do this :

go to the district price a gold chain and price a tennis necklace.... look like you have cash, im not sure how your going to portray but i can... talk the talk , walk the walk,

convo goes like this :

Dealer : a my man i got a good price for you

You/ME : lets se what you talking about

D: these diamond earrings are blah blah blah, 2600 dollars

You/me : this looks great i got cash and willing to spend if the price is right,,

dealer: ok i give you 2200

you/me : smirk 

Dealer : you no like price??

You/me : nope, 

Dealer: how much you wanna spend?

You/me : not sure but 22 is still knda high, lemme see something else

Dealer: why you no like?

You/me : yeah im just looking around...

dealer ; ok ok , 2000

You/me : i got 1575 cash right now 

drops cash on table... 

Dealer looks at cash..... "gimme 1600 and its yours"... 

pulls out 25 bucks and walks out with a 1000 dollar discount on some earrings that were marked up 200 percent to begin with...
laugh.gif

I learned from my moms growing up watching her buy jewels 
o, i understand now

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

I have ALWAYS known about the whole DeBeers ad campaign as far as diamonds...but my girl is beautiful, kind, and she takes care of me...she wants a diamond engagement ring. I'm getting her one. End of $$*@!$! story. Does that make me stupid? I don't give a +@@%. She wants a damn diamond and she getting one. I'm tired of the anti-social conspiracy theory brigade here on Niketalk. You know if you want to go make hand babies for your whole life, or you are into Miss Bohemia who doesn't shave her pits or wear deodorant and wears hemp bracelets then by all means go ahead...but stop trying to convince the world that they are doing wrong by buying diamonds. Almost all worth is relative...you $$*@!$! hypebeasts on here think a pair of fruity colored SB's is worth camping out in a line for days in the wet and rainy cold is "worth" it.

Next up for the NikeTalk conspiracy brigade...wiping your #*# with toilet paper causes  rectal cancer due to the TP being treated with a carcinogenic chemical...Oh noes!!!!

Nothing is wrong with that but not you in particular it just kills me about calling dudes lames simps etc... cause end of the day whether it be one chick or twenty its still being a simp or a trick and the person recieving it a garden tool. Lets not forget a person who uses money or things which have monetary value in exchange for companionship, happiness or sex is a trick.

And i dont think op is saying buying diamonds are bad or wrong, he is just stating that ppl give something more value then what it is worth, and that ppl associate human life qualities to something that doesnt have those traits simply because they are sheep and for lack of better words following the herd.

i agree to an extent and the evidence is in the rate in which divorce is steadly climbing etc. Ppl arent looking at the so called real values true virtues of love marriage etc in ppl, instead they overlook it because they blindly believe all these characteristics and traits come from a piece of jewelry.

You need massive amounts of heat though for the diamond to even start to waiver.

LMFAO @ a little help from a torch--like it's just that easy to melt them.

Thank you for this OP.

I've been trying to tell people, but the brainwashing by DeBeers has been pretty effective. People have slowly been coming around.

Manmade is the way to go.

Bottom line is I'm probably not going to Africa anytime soon to dig my own diamonds.
So whoever has the best price for the best quality gets my business.
The information on how the industry was developed is valuable insight into major marketing strategies.
Nothing more nothing less. It's a little too late to prove diamonds aren't the best fashion mineral out there.
Diamonds have stood the test of time, so maybe they do live up to the hype.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Why do some NTers think that this dude is dropping knowledge? Anyone could sit and ponder life and come to the conclusion that nothing matters and that we're just "skin bags".
So...would you like to offer another perspective or would you just like to make fun of the conclusion reached?

Making fun of your perspective?  Where did I do that?  All I did was state that if anyone sat around long enough, they could probably reach the conclusion that "nothing matters".  You know when I came to that conclusion (which was just a passing phase, btw)?  When I was a 17-year old freshman in college that smoked a gang of weed.  That isn't making fun of your stance at all--just noting that it isn't profound as several NTers responses have indicated.  Of course you can't control what others find enlightening, but I guess I was just addressing them more than I was getting at you.  

Are you something more than a collection of synchronous cells floating on a rock around one of many stars? 

Indeed.  I'm a father to an 8-month old daughter that adores me (and I her), and that isn't made up.  Life is more than just science, my dude.  If that is truly how you look at your life on this planet, I hate it for you man.  Maybe that will change with time though.     

Some of you dudes are easily impressed or you just haven't gotten to that point in life where you begin to question society and the constraints that it brings.

I'm at fault for that? 

Not at all.  Again, I was just addressing them.  

There is nothing profound about this diamond topic or any other thing (religion) that sillyputty decides to post about. Is it interesting? A good read? Thought provoking? Without a doubt.

I'm glad you like it. 

I'm all for thought provoking conversation and welcome it.  Getting in a comfort zone is one of the worst things that we can do IMO, regardless of what side you take on various issues.  Now how you approach these conversations is a different matter that Meth more than eloquently addressed.  
But that's about all it is--there are no unquestionable truths revealed here or in any other thread created by this dude. Opinions--that's all it is.

Diamond = Carbon rock

Is that an opinion?

I mean honestly, I'm not trying to uncover something profound here...just offering another perspective on "diamonds"

I was going a little deeper than the surface conversation about diamonds.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out that most of your topics eventually end up back at religion vs. science.  C'mon Dame....you've been doing this for years now....we know you by now.  Again, Meth addressed this much better than I can.  But to put it simply, your truths aren't concrete.  Just as mine aren't.  My belief (or opinion) is just that--mine.  Same with yours.  So at the end of the day, after all the memes, gifs, diagrams, youtube videos, quoted articles and walls of text.....you've basically just expressed your opinion, even though you approach those who disagree as though you've just presented them with undeniable, unequivocal, enlightened, concrete fact.  And I can say that b/c I've read countless rants by you over the years and that is how it appears (even though that may not be your intent).  

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by ninjahood

well moissanite stones (silicone carbide) are 9.25 on da moh scale and shine 2x as bright as a diamond and fract more color at a 10th of a price....now what?

Did I say they are the greatest thing ever? No. So something's better. Now what? A diamond is trash. That's what. You really got me! Good job.
laugh.gif
why so defensive?
Sorry if I did but I haven't ever even bought a diamond in my life yet so telling me about scales and fract is moot because I never said diamonds are the end all, be all of gems. I honestly don't know much about jewelry. The question posed to me was if I could find value in a diamond. I said yes because it looks nice, especially when light hits it. That's all. I already stated that prices would sway my opinion but at the incredibly superficial level, diamonds do hold some value to me due to their appearance. That's all I was saying. I'm not advocating for diamonds. I'm not justifying De Beers exploitative marketing and production. I'm not even partial to jewelry aside from watches and on them, ostentatious gems is not my cup of tea. I was just talking about the superficial value of a diamond. That's all. So bringing up the mos scale is ridiculous to me. I don't care. That doesn't mean a diamond is utter trash. It still holds some value for me because it's appearance. 
My posts weren't even about diamonds. They concerned this whole "everything means nothing" blabber. 

This line Meth wrote sums it up:

You want to be an empiricist, but you don't want to accept the weaknesses that come with that.  You want to be a nihilist, but you also want to believe in something.  Yet everyone else is inconsistent. 

Thanks for the taking the time to write that out Meth. There just doesn't seem to be anything left to say. 

[Don't quote a gigantic post just to say "co-sign."  If you're sincere, you can just reference the person or an excerpt of the reply.  
If you're trolling.. well, you don't want to be trolling.]

Originally Posted by 0cks

not tryin to send shots but you might want to get another girl if your bank account gives your girl a smile, and by the emphasis you put on emotions im assuming it makes her very happy, or if you make her smile by using the numbers in your bank account (buying her stuff)

but i feel both sides
Did I say it's the only thing that makes her smile? Which girl wouldn't smile if you bought her jewelry with diamonds? 
I may be wrong but I thought the issue in this thread was the overvaluation of Diamonds... I'm sayin money isn't real either it's just a means of taking care of our needs and helping us achieve/feel emotions we normally would/could not (live music, vacations, luxury goods etc.) Right or wrong that's just capitalism
not at all, but you put hella emphasis on it, maybe you were tryin to flex with your bank acct, idk, think of any rich girl who has had diamonds their whole life, they wouldnt smile
i wasnt tryin to go at you, ill admit tho you were comin off as a sugar daddy and even though shes yours i cant relate, but you are so right and wrong at the same time, you put value into whatever, you cant tell me if someone dropped a billion dollars in your lap you would be happier than a family who finally had their first child after trying to reproduce for years, your mindset fuels capitalism and even though we all live and abide by the rules not everyone gets the same kicks out of money and what it buys
Well what I'm tryin to say is that in western culture, diamonds are held in very high esteem with females, I've been around plenty of rich girls that have diamonds and nothing gets them more hype than... more diamonds. (DeBeers taught you well)  
And really ain't no one puttin hella emphasis on anything, this is not a discussion about relationships/love it's about diamonds, so that's what's getting addressed. I'm just not against buying chicks diamonds... doesn't mean it's an everyday thing for any heffer. I do feel this thread was motivated by the unwillingness/unwanted burden of purchasing engagement rings for women
nerd.gif

Rocks are not a basis for a relationship just another form of expression amongst many... where you got the impression that I get "kicks out of money and what it buys" I have absolutely no idea, especially when I said I don't believe money is real and is just numbers in my bank account... of course the best things in life are free

Did I say it's the only thing that makes her smile? Which girl wouldn't smile if you bought her jewelry with diamonds? 
I may be wrong but I thought the issue in this thread was the overvaluation of Diamonds... I'm sayin money isn't real either it's just a means of taking care of our needs and helping us achieve/feel emotions we normally would/could not (live music, vacations, luxury goods etc.) Right or wrong that's just capitalism
not at all, but you put hella emphasis on it, maybe you were tryin to flex with your bank acct, idk, think of any rich girl who has had diamonds their whole life, they wouldnt smile
i wasnt tryin to go at you, ill admit tho you were comin off as a sugar daddy and even though shes yours i cant relate, but you are so right and wrong at the same time, you put value into whatever, you cant tell me if someone dropped a billion dollars in your lap you would be happier than a family who finally had their first child after trying to reproduce for years, your mindset fuels capitalism and even though we all live and abide by the rules not everyone gets the same kicks out of money and what it buys
Well what I'm tryin to say is that in western culture, diamonds are held in very high esteem with females, I've been around plenty of rich girls that have diamonds and nothing gets them more hype than... more diamonds. (DeBeers taught you well)  
And really ain't no one puttin hella emphasis on anything, this is not a discussion about relationships/love it's about diamonds, so that's what's getting addressed. I'm just not against buying chicks diamonds... doesn't mean it's an everyday thing for any heffer. I do feel this thread was motivated by the unwillingness/unwanted burden of purchasing engagement rings for women
nerd.gif

Rocks are not a basis for a relationship just another form of expression amongst many... where you got the impression that I get "kicks out of money and what it buys" I have absolutely no idea, especially when I said I don't believe money is real and is just numbers in my bank account... of course the best things in life are free

I cant prove this, but in all honestly i believe a vast majority of folks in here or in general had they told there girls/wives that im not buying a rock etc... but what i will do is be there for you etc love you unconditionally etc... Majority of the ppl in here and in general would not be in a relationship and the women wouldnt continue to be in a relationship with them and it would solely be based on the fact they didnt get married in the traditional sense of buying a rock. I mean ppl could try this theory and or be upfront and say this, but im almost certain most guys no the answer and are afraid that this so called she really loves me regardless, unconditionally, etc... it wouldnt matter cause she loves me for me bs would fly right out of the window.

I don't understand why this is even a debate. And I refuse to read any of the walls of text past whatever I glance at as I'm scrolling down.

Yes the only reason diamonds are expensive is because people buy them. The consumers are the ones placing the price on the diamonds. If consumers do not buy, sellers wont make money. This, my friends, is how the economy works. It's how its worked since the first person traded something for something else.

Any natural resource that is repackaged and resold is idiotic, but thats how our system works.

Take bottled water for example. It's bottled, freaking, water. It falls from the sky. You're paying a company to take something that is free for any human being on the planet, since you know, it falls from the sky, to put it in a bottle so that you can drink the water, then throw away the bottle. You just created trash for no damn reason. But.... people will buy it, so people will sell it.

Originally Posted by LDJ

nerd.gif

I cant prove this, but in all honestly i believe a vast majority of folks in here or in general had they told there girls/wives that im not buying a rock etc... but what i will do is be there for you etc love you unconditionally etc... Majority of the ppl in here and in general would not be in a relationship and the women wouldnt continue to be in a relationship with them and it would solely be based on the fact they didnt get married in the traditional sense of buying a rock. I mean ppl could try this theory and or be upfront and say this, but im almost certain most guys no the answer and are afraid that this so called she really loves me regardless, unconditionally, etc... it wouldnt matter cause she loves me for me bs would fly right out of the window.
I agree, Women have been indoctrinated to love jewelry/diamonds... why fight it...? Ideally you want a down to earth chick... but their attractiveness more times than not is inversely related to this, so just try to find that sweet spot

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

laugh.gif
 @  "anti-social conspiracy theory brigade" 

For most of the 90's, some of the primary suppliers of diamonds included armed rebel groups that controlled mines in conflict areas and used the profits from the trade to arm themselves. Examples include Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola, and Sierra Leone. In most cases, they used children as miners and soldiers, and they were usually taken away from their communities and killed if they refused to fight for the rebellion (the RUF in Sierra Leone was particularly notorious for such acts). Having illegal diamonds on the market wouldn't be so much of a problem is they could be identifiable; however,  during that time you couldn't tell the difference between a diamond from South Africa and one from Sierra Leone once they left their mine of origin. 

Fast forward to today: the Kimberley process that was implemented in order to stamp out blood diamonds from the market is failing because diamond producers have no incentive  to follow the necessary measures to insure that only clean diamonds are sold. Thus, illegal mining is still rampant, local governments are even taking part in that, and blood diamonds are still available to consumers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle-chen/conflict-diamonds-human-rights_b_1141080.html

http://www.globalwitness.org/librar...ocess-calls-diamond-trade-be-held-accountable

Nearly nine years after the Kimberley Process was launched, the sad truth is that most consumers still cannot be sure where their diamonds come from, nor whether they are financing armed violence or abusive regimes

Originally Posted by LDJ

nerd.gif

I agree, Women have been indoctrinated to love jewelry/diamonds... why fight it...? Ideally you want a down to earth chick... but their attractiveness more times than not is inversely related to this, so just try to find that sweet spot

Iuno ive never tried to fight it. I mean me and my old lady been down for longer then a good amount of nters been alive, and yet i got her kids etc and didnt have to buy a rock etc. matter of fact she doesnt really even wear jewelry really. neither do i outside watches well one piece is a rolex my grandpa gave me as rewarded for purple heart in the war. My issue is that ppl call dudes tricking for buying chicks dranks etc... yet they spend damn near the cost of cars and homes for one chick just for one day. and not only that it is a strong-armed gesture, because they know that they cannot keep the woman unless they do it.

i dont get sleeping with plenty of women and buying a drank or two etc... is a trick, spending the amount of a car a home on one day only to be with one person, who says its either that or the highway isnt a trick.

nerd.gif

so if you bought paris hilton a tennis bracelet or a diamond ring she would go gaga? probably not, ive seen plenty of rich and non rich girls not light up when they are presented with a diamond ring or bracelet, i seemed like you put emphasis on it to me, im not against buying girls diamonds either, i wont tho because most girls arent worth the money i work hard for to blow on diamonds, and yea it might have been but i honestly dont know anything about op and id rather not get into a stranger's mixture
i got that impression right after you said "I'm sayin money isn't real either it's just a means of taking care of our needs and helping us achieve/feel emotions we normally would/could not" it kinda sounds like youre saying you buy emotions that wouldnt otherwise be experienced if it werent for the ability to buy them

Well after you have taken care of your basic needs what do you do with your remaining money? I'm not gonna sugar coat it but all the alcohol, trees, jimmy hats, cover fees, Xbox/PS3 games, CD's, Blu Rays, kicks/gear, plane/sport/concert tickets, telly rooms etc. we pay $ for b/c it makes us feel some way... I don't know where you live or how your clique rolls, so unless you live that terrorist life like DCAllAmerican I bet you do these things too
laugh.gif

This thread has been a very interesting read.
I'm still waiting on sillyputty's reply.

Well after you have taken care of your basic needs what do you do with your remaining money? I'm not gonna sugar coat it but all the alcohol, trees, jimmy hats, cover fees, Xbox/PS3 games, CD's, Blu Rays, kicks/gear, plane/sport/concert tickets, telly rooms etc. we pay $ for b/c it makes us feel some way... I don't know where you live or how your clique rolls, so unless you live that terrorist life like DCAllAmerican I bet you do these things too
laugh.gif
i will agree to disagree, because out of all the stuff you mentioned ive only paid for plane/hotel and kicks/gear, everything else is you holmes, i dont even have a clique, just me and my wingman from hs

Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows. Pocket-protected scientists built a wall of iron and crashed a diamond car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of diamond and crashed a car made of iron moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a diamond car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a diamond traveling at iron car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall of metal into a 400 mile per hour made of diamond, and the resulting explosion shifted the earth's orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles per hour. They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour, and as a result caused two wayward airplanes to lose track of their bearings. They spun 400 miles at diamond into iron per wall. The results were inconclusive. Finally, they placed 400 diamonds per hour in front of a car made of wall traveling at miles per iron, and the result proved without a doubt that diamonds were the hardest metal of all time, if not just the hardest metal known to man.

Back
Top Bottom