[___The OFFICIAL (APPLYING FOR JOBS 101) Thread___]

Fellow NT brothers and sisters...

In a time where NikeTalk's age demographic is changing,

I figured that we all can learn a thing or two from one another,

As well as share our own $0.02 on the basics or the complexity of applying for jobs and being in a particular position/title.

After seeing the threads like "Where do you work?" and "Help: Applying for _________,"

I'm sure that a thread like this might just actually help,

Especially when NTers offer such a wide variety of types of jobs/careers, whether it's a part-time retail or a demanding full-time corp. job.

I'm sure we all have questions that sometimes Google can't answer.

Anywho, this thread should ideally serve the purpose of:

- Basics of how to fill an application (online or on paper) + a proper cover letter + page of references
- Questions/comments on applying (what/how to, etc.) for a certain job
- Questions/comments on what a certain job will entail
- Currently employed NTers whom hear that their employers are hiring (i.e: "Yo, my job is currently lookin' for __________.)

Hope this thread will help...

If people think otherwise, then this thread can simply get locked/deleted and life goes on.

Movin' on, I could begin by sharing with anyone on how to get a career going in the gaming industry if anyone's interested.

research the company. i cant stress this enough.

eye contact. shows self confidence.

even vocal tone

I got a question myself.

Cover letter...

Say that there's NO ABSOLUTE way to find out the address and phone number of the position's location.

What/how is the appropriate way to address the cover letter?

maannnnnnnnnnnn, i need a job BAD. i saw an ad for a summber maintance job here on campus. i just thought i was gonna go tell them i want the job, and iexpected them to give it to me on the spot.

i went in the lil room and ol girl hands me an application . im like
eek.gif
, i aint expect to fill out an application. when i brought it back shorty was like"interviews are at tuesday and thursday, pick one"

i DEFINITELY aint expect to be interviewed. i dont have any dress clothes.

ive only had one job, and i didnt have to do anything to get it. yes, i was spoiled. and now that i have to be interviewed, i dont want this job anymore. but iwill be glad if i get it.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]90% of what you're trying to memorize for the interview will beforgotten.[/color]

^ exactly...so make sure you KNOW it like the back of your hand.....if you read some of the stuff utloud, it'll help you retain the info better..

be yourself
i DEFINITELY aint expect to be interviewed. i dont have any dress clothes.
better get some from Sears or something. ASAP at that

I can't preach this enough either.

NETWORKING.

Networking is just as important as anything else...

For all you know, the dude in line next to you @ Starbucks is Kanye West's personal audio engineer.

Small talk can go further than you think.

On that note, try not to be an
33upjle.jpg
and burn bridges so much...

You have no idea when that person can actually help you in the long run.

usually the first question they ask in an interview is "tell me about yourself"

during tis time they usually skimm through your resume...so don't repeat whats on the resume, like education.

Say things like..."my last employer would say I am reliable and hardworking" or "my teachers would say I am a diligent student"

After you apply to retail stores wait about 3 days then call them and ask if they could check the status of your application. It shows that you are interested.

Be professional and polite about everything. Even phone conversations.

DON'T lie on you application. It will prob come back to bite you.

DON'T ask if so and so company is gonna drug test you. Employers don't want to hire drugged up employees so stay off whatever you're smoking.

DON'T go to an interview when you just spent the night before going crazy and getting drunk at the club the night before. Smelling like alchohol is notgood for an interview.

DON'T wear sneakers.

Make sure you ALWAYS bring a pen with you. And ALWAYS be prepared to be interviewed on the spot even if you're only just asking for an application.

How about applying for Jobs after graduating KNOWING you want to continue gradf school in the fall when the companies are looking for full-time exployees. Whatdo you do to get around the rejection that comes right after telling them you can do full time only in the summer?

Don't tell them anything. As far as they know you plan on being there long term. When the time comes either give them a heads up or play it off like youweren't expecting to go to school and this opportunity just popped up.

What do you put on an application/ interview when it asks "Reason for Leaving"... if youve been fired?
What the best positive spin you could put on it without lying?

What should I wear to an interview at Academy Sports & Outdoors (im 17). I was gonna wear black slacks, white button up shirt, and a tie but would that beoverdoing it?

Originally Posted by washanobotit

What do you put on an application/ interview when it asks "Reason for Leaving"... if youve been fired?

What type of position was this, and where?

If it was a temporary position, you could say "Contract termination."
Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

What should I wear to an interview at Academy Sports & Outdoors (im 17). I was gonna wear black slacks, white button up shirt, and a tie but would that be overdoing it?

A lot of people say there's no such thing as "overdoing it," but that's solely up to your decision and comfort level.

As for dressing for an interview, a good reference/way of gauging your outfit is:

- One notch/step above what the employer's corporate setting is.

For example, as I applied for certain positions,

And know that people in those certain @ corp. offices dress up usually in an attire consisting of nice clean denim and a classy button-up,

My outfit was a dress shirt, tie, a solid v-neck sweater over, solid dark denim (LITTLE to NO designed fades/tears), and clean barely used AM90/360 Hybrids.

My interpretation of "one notch above" the corporate setting.

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

What should I wear to an interview at Academy Sports & Outdoors (im 17). I was gonna wear black slacks, white button up shirt, and a tie but would that be overdoing it?
that's fine...even if you're overdresses i'm sure you'll be dresses better than the other applicants...

a book that will help you and give you another perspective... "what color is your parachute" it is a job hunters guide, i would high recommend it.

Originally Posted by RHYTHMentality

it was a retail position, a shoe store..

Some basic tips on writing cover letters/resumes:

- keep it short, one page each. dont overload it with info irrelevant to the job. employers find it too overwhelming to read.
- make your qualifications match what they are looking for in the ad, i.e. if the ad says, "must be proficient in xml, css, dhtml, etc", your resumeshould say the same.
- a cover letter is an extension of your resume, not a repeat of it. use the resume to list your qualifications and use your cover letter describe it indetail.
- take the extra step of finding out the recruiters name and the company address, if possible. it shows you really have interest in the job.
- write a custom cover letter/resume for each job you apply to. not every job is the same and when you use the same resume/CL everytime, it shows. it doesntmean you have to start from scratch, just change it up a little.
- most importantly, run a proofread, use spell check. nothing is more unprofessional than a resume with a bunch of spelling errors.

a lot of this is basic, but for people who have never had a job before, it might be helpful.

always smile. you would be amazed how much of a difference that makes. you appear happy and friendly, exactly what employers look for. when talking aboutyourself, try to tie you good qualities into how they can help you in an employment setting. also, if you have ever done any kind of leadership roles ortraining, make sure you let them know.

i applied at the nike outlet where i live and made sure to tell them about being president of my sorority and the different leadership programs i had wentthrough like Leadershape and the Catalyst program. I would also suggest for us college students, to check out any leadership programs that are offered oncampus. most are free or very cheap, and not only do they teach you a lot, but employers love to hear about them.

as far as dress goes, it all depends on where you are applying. when i was interviewing for an office job, i wore a skirt, dress shirt, jacket to match andheels. when i interviewed at the nike outlet, i wore, black sweater, plain dark denim jeans, and a pair of black flats. you can always get more dressy for aretail job, but something plain, neat, and clean is fine.

Originally Posted by RHYTHMentality

it was a retail position, a shoe store..
I think you put "termination" as well.

I'm not too sure, I haven't worked a retail job before,

And no one else is answering your question.
laugh.gif

And if/when you nail an interview and they question it, just be honest about it.

Back
Top Bottom