8 Reasons why Young Americans don't fight back.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance[/h1]

July 31, 2011  |  

storyimages_1296763919_egyptprotests.jpg_640x384_310x220

The ruling elite has created social institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance.
Traditionally, young people have energized democratic movements. So it is a major coup for the ruling elite to have created societal institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance to domination.

Young Americans—even more so than older Americans—appear to have acquiesced to the idea that the corporatocracy can completely screw them and that they are helpless to do anything about it. A 2010 Gallup poll asked Americans “Do you think the Social Security system will be able to pay you a benefit when you retire?

rashii.. srs question.. have you fought back?
if so.. in what way?

thnx for posting this, btw.. will be reading in a few. 

I've been saying that college is a big distraction. Young adults are the least represented in D.C. because they don't have time to vote - they're all busy studying! On top of that, by the time you get out of school, you're older, "wiser", and already in money trouble so most likely you already have the mindset that D.C. wants you to have.

Things are too good. You might not think they are but even if one is mired in American mediocrity, that same person is still living better than a very large portion of the world. There's not enough of an incentive to hold politicians accountable. Plus, a lot of young people just flat out dismiss government, not realizing the power it holds.

Originally Posted by rashi

[h1][/h1]
[h1]8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance[/h1]

July 31, 2011  |  

storyimages_1296763919_egyptprotests.jpg_640x384_310x220

The ruling elite has created social institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance.
Traditionally, young people have energized democratic movements. So it is a major coup for the ruling elite to have created societal institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance to domination.

Young Americans—even more so than older Americans—appear to have acquiesced to the idea that the corporatocracy can completely screw them and that they are helpless to do anything about it. A 2010 Gallup poll asked Americans “Do you think the Social Security system will be able to pay you a benefit when you retire?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Things are too good. You might not think they are but even if one is mired in American mediocrity, that same person is still living better than a very large portion of the world. There's not enough of an incentive to hold politicians accountable. Plus, a lot of young people just flat out dismiss government, not realizing the power it holds.
Are you satisfied with just settling?

What exactly do you do besides copy & paste? You out there throwing molitov cocktails in the name of freedom?

Just out of curiosity but what are we (young people) suppose to be rebelling for?  Most of us are content with our lives.  Even if young Americans woke up tomorrow and realized how the system was %**+$$@ us, I still don't think we would care.  Most of our lives are good, good enough to not care.

I'm all for rebelling against the rising cost of tuition, but I don't think that alone is enough to rebel?  Maybe protest, but not rebel.

That being said, anyone in college want to rebel?

Im finnna make a change tonight.....

watch the streets of LA tomorrow

need good messages for the masses..... suggestions NT?

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

It really is a joke how much college tuition costs.
I agree.
Especially for how much less we are getting out of it nowadays. "state funded" higher institutions are getting out of hands with these fee hikes (out here in CA at least).

Originally Posted by proper english

rashii.. srs question.. have you fought back?
if so.. in what way?

thnx for posting this, btw.. will be reading in a few. 

Actually I have. In high school (2001), during a class trip to D.C. I organized an anti-war protest in front of the White House, and got arrested by Capital Police for refusing to show my ID and ended up getting suspended. During my undergrad I organized numerous anti-Iraq War rallies, 9/11 Truth rallies when Rudolph Guiliani came to my school in 2007, 2003 when Bush came down during his campaign, Michael Chertoff came for commencement, anti-Fed stuff, Police brutality stuff with the Black Student Union, WTO conference.

Though my parents approved of my civil disobedience, they told me to stop if I wanted to get into grad school.

What exactly do you do besides copy & paste? You out there throwing molitov cocktails in the name of freedom?

Violence illegitimizes your message, so no.

Link to the article:

http://www.alternet.org/v...youth_resistance/?page=1

Back
Top Bottom