6 Real Islands Way More Terrifying Than The One On 'Lost'

Reminds me of the upcoming movie Shutter Island... It's gonna be
pimp.gif
Here's the trailer:

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

izu2.jpg

That's a movie waiting to happen.
I beleive they made a mistake....i think that picture is actually of Russia...but the ghost island is a trip

Project Kaisei is a scientific and commercial mission to study and cleanup the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a large body of floating debris trapped in the Pacific Ocean by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre.[sup][1][/sup] First discovered in 1997, the patch is estimated to contain 20 times the density of floating debris compared to the global average.[sup][1][/sup] The project aims to study the extent and nature of the debris with a view to capturing, detoxifying, and recycling the material, and is organised by the Ocean Voyages Institute, a California-based 501c3 non-profit organisation dealing with marine preservation.[sup][2][/sup][sup][3][/sup][sup][4][/sup]

The project was launched on 19 March 2009, with plans for an initial phase of scientific study of the debris and feasibility study of the recovery and recycling technologies, with the eventual aim of beginning a commercial cleanup operation in the future if the initial phase proved this to be viable.[sup][5][/sup] The project was to be filmed and broadcast as a two part documentary, the first part covering the initial feasibility study, the second the commercial removal.[sup][6][/sup]

In August 2009, the initial study and feasability voyage phase of Project Kaisei began, conducted by two vessels, the 174-foot (53-meter) diesel powered research vessel R/V New Horizon, and the project flagship, the 150-foot (46-meter) tall ship Kaisei.[sup][4][/sup][sup][7][/sup] The New Horizon, owned by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, left San Diego on 2 August 2009 on the Scripps Environmental Accumulation of Plastic Expedition (SEAPLEX), set to last until 21 August.[sup][3][/sup] The SEAPLEX expedition is funded by the University of California, San Diego and Project Kaisei.[sup][8][/sup] Two days later the Kaisei, owned by the Ocean Voyages Institute, departed San Francisco on 4 August, and was expected to undertake a 30 day voyage.[sup][9][/sup] The Kaisei was to investigate the size and concentration of the debris field, and explore retrieval methods, while the New Horizon would join her and study the effect of the debris field on marine life.[sup][9][/sup][sup][10][/sup]
The initial feasibility mission aims to collect 40 tonnes of debris, using special nets designed not to catch fish, in two passes through the field.[sup][1][/sup][sup][5][/sup] The project would later test methods of recycling the collected garbage into new plastic, or commercial products such as diesel fuel or clothing.[sup][7][/sup][sup][9][/sup] If the initial mission proved the collection and processing technologies proved to be viable, it was expected the Kaisei would lead a full scale commercial cleanup voyage with other vessels, becoming operational within 18 months.[sup][5][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Kaisei#cite_note-ProjectKaiseiLaunch19Mar09-4[/sup]
pimp.gif

There is no such thing as a "trash island", but there is definitely plenty of garbage and plastics (which doesn't break down) in our oceans.

At least 6.7 million tons are dumped into our oceans every year, and that figure was calculated over a decade ago.

......can't imagine how it is now.

That snake island is no joke..5 snakes per square meter??

Ghost island definitely made it into hollywood, one form or another..just can't think of any examples.
Edit: Just watched "Shutter Island" trailer..perfect example
laugh.gif

Snake island doesn't even sound possible?

How could they even feed themselves with that many snakes there?

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I gotta look into that Fiji bit.

Fiji is awesome, I was there recently. What dude posted was the history.....some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. The gov't is !$#$%+ tho
smh.gif

I'm REEEEEEEEALLY upset that was the island that got #1---stuff that happened two centuries ago.

I tried google mapping trash island to see if we can see a texas-sized trash pile.

unfortunately, google maps won't zoom in close enough to see anything. it does recognize it though!

Back
Top Bottom