52 Weeks Savings Challenge (2024 Edition)

Which challenge will you do?

• $1378

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • $2500

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • $5000

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • $7000

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • $10,000

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Custom Challenge

Votes: 17 18.7%

• Total voters
Did the $2.5k last year

going for the $5k this year. I’m just going to deposit the average weekly amount $5k/52 weeks every Monday for the year. Just do it one time and don’t have to worry a out going in there and editing payments monthly.

I know it’s really subjective and situational but what do you guys think a good amount to have saved is ?

at 25?
at 30?

I don’t have the best job but I have been saving good for about 4-5 years now. At first I was confident I was doing good compared to others my age (27, started when I was 22 or 23) but now I feel others are catching up, or have already surpassed me

I saw on IG the top 1% of either 28 or 30 year olds (i forget) have 80k saved

It's subjective. I hit a financial milestone at the end of the year. It's something I would have expected much earlier than it did had I been working full-time every year since I graduated school. Life can throw curve balls at you that devastate your financial health.

Did the $2.5k last year

going for the $5k this year. I’m just going to deposit the average weekly amount $5k/52 weeks every Monday for the year. Just do it one time and don’t have to worry a out going in there and editing payments monthly.
It was easier than I thought. I get paid weekly so I set it up where it automatically takes $100 every Friday and puts it into another acct. I didn’t even notice or see the money. Paid off my CC and a student loan and the rest was Xmas extras.

Im in!

Successfully completed last year’s challenge. It started at $8 and added $8 every week so the last week was $416. Saved $11,024.

Gonna up it this year i’m going to try and do $600 every Monday. Have an alarm set for Monday’s at 9 pm so it’s just a matter of keeping spending down enough to have the funds in there.

As for people asking questions about investing. I use betterment and highly suggest it. It’s great. 5 second transfer from bank to betterment investment account every Monday and the robo advisor invests it into a broad range of stocks.

Betterment? Can you share some more info. I want this to be the year I get serious with testing the market. What kind of returns have you seen so far?

PM if necessary

IN
source.gif

80k seems low to be honest. But that’s probably just my area of California. I was thinking by 30 a reasonable expectation for frugal minded college graduates is:

-Worked 21 to 30
-Saved $1k a month
-6% returns

That’s $167k.

I’m nowhere near that myself and i’m in my 30s. A lot of people I know around here are way ahead of that since they had a few years of being able to live with their parents and also have a high paying job.

At the end of the day it’s not all about money but consistency and context matters in terms of how much you are able to save. It’s never gonna be an even playing field and you gotta just make the best out of your own situation and not compare with others. I chose to use my 20s as a time to explore life and don’t regret it one bit. In my 30s now i’m going full stop financial security and putting all efforts toward that.

Lol bro those are the top management consultants, high finance, SWE, etc, you are talking about.

Think about the kids who normally get those positions.

Lol bro those are the top management consultants, high finance, SWE, etc, you are talking about.

Not sure I follow. In my example, a kid that makes $48k starting out of college and lives with his/her parents can follow that. It’s not that hard to save $1k a month on a moderate salary if living at home with parents. And after a few years in the Bay Area of working in the Bay Area most salaries go up quite a bit for 3-5 years of experience in almost every industry.

But yeah you’re right I wouldn’t say that’s the norm. It’s just one manner of measurement. And when a tiny condo costs $1M+ it’s the sort of trajectory that’s needed in this area unfortunately

Definitely not the norm but I have multiple friends who make less than 100k with savings 150k plus. Had the luxury of living at home longer.

I work with some younger guys and they still live at home. They are saving stupid amounts of money. One just built a pretty dope house at 23 years old.

They are all country kids, I feel like it’s different with them. They all stack and live with their parents where I left ASAP and didn’t care if I had a dollar to my name. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom