50 Cents will never be relevant in hip hop again! Vol: Ross did it to em!

"Buck stabbin ****** on camera and its OK, cause my money make my lawyers make that **** go away"

This is the hardest line ever in a rap diss, right? I think so. Thank you for posting that **** on the last page, brought me back. Love this thread.

With the recent Grammy snub of Kendrick Lamar, another big hip hop Grammy snub comes to mind—that of none other than former hip hop giant 50 Cent. 50 had an unbelievable 2003 with the release of his widely regarded classic album Get Rich or Die Tryin’.

He was nominated for 5 awards at the ’04 ceremony but like Kendrick, he too walked away empty handed. When he infamously walked across the stage as Evanescence accepted the Grammy for best new artist (0:37 mark below) the award many thought he should have won, there was still a sense that he would keep the rap game (and mainstream music overall) in a chokehold for many years to come.

He was special in that the aggressive street content of his music didn’t hinder his mainstream appeal. He also had a distinctive voice and delivery which commanded the listener’s attention and his confidence was like none other. It is also worth noting that 2003 was also the year Jay Z announced his fake retirement, and 50 was seemingly the heir to the hip hop throne.

50 changed the game forever but more recently releases have been few & far between – not as in demand as he once was. He was literally bulletproof (shot 9 times) at one point in his career but what happened?

One of the problems 50 has faced is the fact that he peaked so early. Reaching the level of success that he did so soon proved to be double edged sword. His commercial debut Get Rich or Die Tryin’ was released February 6, 2003. The initial response to the album was colossal. The album moved 872,000 in its first week alone and went on to sell 6 million total units in 2003 alone. Critics loved it too as they cited his ability to mesh his street persona, melodic flow, and knack for crafting catchy hooks to create radio friendly singles.

The fact that his initial impact was so huge ended up hurting him in the long. For instance, let’s take a brief look at the commercial performance of both Nas’s and Jay Z’s debut albums. Many critics and fans alike have referred to Nas’s Illmatic as the best rap album ever. But the commercial success of the album grew over time.

Illmatic was released April 19, 1994 and moved just 59,000 units in its first week. The album wasn’t certified gold until almost 2 years later and by the time it was certified platinum in 2001 Nas had already released four more albums (five if you include The Firm: The Album (1997), released with AZ, Foxy Brown, and Nature).

Jay Z’s own classic debut Reasonable Doubt had a fate similar to that of Illmatic. It was released in June 1996 and was not certified platinum until early 2002 although it was highly regarded by critics upon its release. Both of these legendary artists have gone on to release countless commercially successful and critically acclaimed albums.

Since they didn’t peak commercially so soon they were both able to consistently build on the moderate successes of their debut albums and go on to be considered among the greatest rappers of all time. 50 on the other hand will forever be chasing the commercial and artistic success of Get Rich or Die Tryin’ which is almost an impossible feat to reduplicate.

Throughout his career 50 has been linked to many rap feuds. This too was a double edged sword. Part of his appeal was his ability to effortlessly destroy any rapper, on wax and beyond, who went against him or anyone in his G-Unit regime. His well documented beef with Ja Rule will probably go down as one of the most intense rap slayings ever.

He has also had feuds with other artists like Fat Joe, Jadakiss, Nas, Cam’ron, Rick Ross and former G-Unit affiliate The Game to name a few. Although battling is an important component in hip hop, it got to a point where 50 made more noise with his feuds than with his music.

As hip hop took a more friendly turn and a lot of big name rappers were collaborating with each other (something Kendrick Lamar has tried to shake up in recent days with his “Control” verse) 50 was on the outside looking in. Because of many of his past feuds he wasn’t able to generate more interest in his own music by collaborating with others like many of his contemporaries successfully did.

Recently he has turned over a new leaf by collaborating with Fat Joe on the song “Free Again.” He has also been seen in the studio with former foes Jadakiss and Styles P. And although he says he will never reunite with The Game, this too would most certainly be beneficial to both sides.

With hits like “In Da Club”, “Just a Lil Bit”, “I Get Money”, Window Shopper”, etc. spanning over four albums and one soundtrack, 50 Cent has enough massive hits to compile one of the best greatest hits compilations hip hop has ever seen. But he has been relatively quiet after releasing his most recent album Before I Self Destruct (2009).

Since that time, he has since released a couple of decent mixtapes, 2011’s The Big 10 and 2012’s The Lost Tape released with DJ Drama. Songs like “I Just Wanna”, “Wait Until Tonight”, and “We Up” featuring Kendrick Lamar prove that 50 still has a lot left in the tank.

Some say you’re only as hot as your most recent song. And although he may never see Get Rich of Die Tryin’-type success again, all it takes is one undeniable smash for 50 to climb back to the top of the game and reclaim his spot in rap glory.

Hit us up on Twitter @HipHopsGuru and let us know what you think!!!

http://www.thehiphopguru.com/fall-50-cent/

interesting article on the fall of 50 Cent

Everyone falls off (except for Jay). He had a good career, stayed relevant more than most rappers. 

"Buck stabbin ****** on camera and its OK, cause my money make my lawyers make that **** go away"

This is the hardest line ever in a rap diss, right? I think so. Thank you for posting that **** on the last page, brought me back. Love this thread.

Idk about #1 but It's up there. :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom