24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

i have a discover CC that i keep the utilization under 10% and pay off in full every month

i have never been late on any of my verizon/electric/rent/car payment (i know rent/verizon/electric don't count towards your credit unless youre late)

i have no debt and never asked for a loan of any kind.

just started using credit this year. i know that length of credit history is one of the main reasons for my credit score not being higher

my credit has been at 730 for a while now. is there anything i can do give my CS a boost? thanks

Type of credit plays into it as well.

Your length of credit history is definitely a factor. You only have one credit card?

Is there a reason you need a credit score over 730?

Type of credit plays into it as well.

Your length of credit history is definitely a factor. You only have one credit card?

Is there a reason you need a credit score over 730?
I only have a Discover IT card that was approved for (4500 CL) 4 months ago

That was the first time I've put my name on anything. Since then got a verizon/rent/car (cosigned by my dad)

Is 730 a good score? I'm 22 btw (which kind of explains the short length of credit)

No particular reason. I'm just trying to raise it as high as possible for a house in future

I only have a Discover IT card that was approved for (4500 CL) 4 months ago

That was the first time I've put my name on anything. Since then got a verizon/rent/car (cosigned by my dad)

Is 730 a good score? I'm 22 btw (which kind of explains the short length of credit)

No particular reason. I'm just trying to raise it as high as possible for a house in future

Yes, 730 is good. You're on the right path. Keep doing what you're doing and add another credit card/raise your limit down the line.

Time and installment loans (car loan, personal loan, mortgage loan) are pretty much the only things that will boost your score.

Only get CCs you need.

From what I understand having a high % of utilization is a negative. But let's say I spend 2,000 out of my 2,500 limit, but pay it all of when payment is due, is my score still negatively affected?

From what I understand having a high % of utilization is a negative. But let's say I spend 2,000 out of my 2,500 limit, but pay it all of when payment is due, is my score still negatively affected?
For that one month yes, your score will go down. It will go back up the next month if its paid off.

You don't have to wait until the statement cuts to pay the balance.

i have a discover CC that i keep the utilization under 10% and pay off in full every month

i have never been late on any of my verizon/electric/rent/car payment (i know rent/verizon/electric don't count towards your credit unless youre late)

i have no debt and never asked for a loan of any kind.

just started using credit this year. i know that length of credit history is one of the main reasons for my credit score not being higher

my credit has been at 730 for a while now. is there anything i can do give my CS a boost? thanks
Your credit score is based on borrowing. The more you borrow and pay back, the more you will be rewarded with a higher score.

Question. I have a store card that I neve ever use. What should I do with it? Nothing happens to my credit if I just let it sit there with a 0 balance right?

Is it cool to pay off my balance on the same day the statement cuts? I know it doesn't clear automatically anyway...

What store does that? I have a Gap card I haven't used in over 2 years and nothing has happened with its limit the last time I checked.

I do t think I've heard of reducing limits, mainly they will just close the account

Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Macy's have all closed my accounts without notice after over a year of inactivity.

Last edited:
Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Macy's have all closed my accounts without notice after over a year of inactivity.

I didn't use my Macy's account for over a year. When I finally decided to use it one day, the cashier had to call customer service for verification.

Someone break down the Sapphire reserve for me. I read a little about it but am still confused. I would definitely qualify and seems like a sought after card. Just not sure how it would benefit me.

Someone break down the Sapphire reserve for me. I read a little about it but am still confused. I would definitely qualify and seems like a sought after card. Just not sure how it would benefit me.

I mean the sign up bonus (100,000 ultimate rewards points), the $300 airline credit each year, and the 50% bonus for redeeming ultimate rewards through the portal is enough evidence to benefit anyone I think :lol:. So when you get the sign up bonus if you redeem through the ultimate rewards portal you're getting $1,500 worth of travel/hotel/activities or whatever. 3x rewards points on travel and dining then the $300 airline credit essentially brings the annual fee to only $150 a year it's a no brainier

Back
Top Bottom