East Coast snow storm...

solewoman

Staff member
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Winter Storm Takes Aim on Mid-Atlantic[/h1]
by Tim Ballisty , on Dec 17, 2009 9:28 am ET
8am Friday Update: Computer weather models are not in complete agreement at this hour. The event is within 12 hours from beginning in the Southeast (SC, NC) so let's go with where our confidence is highest.

There will be a major snow event for western and central North Carolina. There will be a major snow event for nearly the entire state of Virginia.

Washington, DC - this is still a major snowstorm for you. Delaware, you are in the snow crosshairs too.

South Jersey, get ready for a plowable snow.

This is where things get tricky. Does the winter storm take more of an easterly track and move away from the big Northeast cities of the I-95 corridor.

Or does the winter storm, intensify into an even more powerful storm, head north and produce blizzard conditions for Philadelphia, New York City and eventually Boston.

That is the major question of the morning. We still don't have a concrete answer. But we'll continue to follow the latest updates through the morning.

In the meantime winter storm warnings and watches are plastered across the Mid-Atlantic and parts of the Northeast.

A blizzard watch is in effect for Long Island.

Related links to help guide you through potentially major snowstorm:

7pm Thursday Update: All indications are telling us that the Mid-Atlantic snowstorm is still on.

Recent computer models trends are providing meteorologists with even more intriguing forecasts during the next two to three days (Friday-Sunday).

There is now the potential for this winter storm to impact more than just areas from North Carolina to Virginia to Maryland to Delaware to New Jersey; as if that wasn't enough!

Computer weather models are now indicating the potential for the winter storm to intensify even more off Delmarva and New Jersey coast.

Let's just call a spade a spade. This would be a significant Nor'easter; one that would create major disruptions on the road and in the air for major Northeast cities from D.C. to Baltimore to even Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Related links to help guide you through potentially major snowstorm:

Original report follows below...

A snowstorm is coming for the Mid-Atlantic this weekend.

Does that make you do a double take?

Washington, D.C. may be in the heaviest belt of forecasted snow.

How 'bout now?

A potent storm is currently tracking slowly across the western Gulf of Mexico at this time.

On Wednesday it produced record rainfall for several towns and cities in south Texas.

Overnight, rain spread from south Texas northward into eastern Texas and the majority of Louisiana.

South Central U.S. radar
This is just the beginning of this storm's evolution.

During Friday, the rain storm will begin to strengthen as the center of the storm moves through south Georgia and northern Florida.

More heavy rain will soak parts of Alabama and the majority of Georgia and Florida. In fact, thunderstorms will rumble across all of Florida with some storms reaching severe levels.

map_spectrop10_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

48-hour Rain/Snow Forecast

At the same time that Georgia and Florida undergo their soaking, moisture will be spreading north into South Carolina and North Carolina. Instead of just plain rain, now we're going to get cold air into the mix.

A rain and snow and sleet mix will begin to fall in upstate South Carolina and farther north into the Piedmont of North Carolina. At this time, some of the heaviest snow will be found along and north of I-40 in North Carolina stretching into the I-81 corridor of southwest Virginia.

Meanwhile, in the southern Appalachians, it will be an all snow event.

Winter Storm Watch: South Carolina | North Carolina | Virginia

Yet even more strengthening of the storm system will take place on Friday night into Saturday morning as the storm crawls northward just off the South Carolina and North Carolina coastlines.

As it does, snow will develop over western, central and northern Virginia.

Farther west, a light to sometimes moderate snow will also develop into the Ohio Valley with some decent accumulations for eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia.

Time goes on, snow spreads farther north and east.

Snow will develop in the nation's capital by early Saturday morning then make an entrance into eastern Maryland, Delaware and south Jersey by the midday hours.

map_spectrop09_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

48-hour Rain/Snow Forecast

The above map only shows out to 48 hours so final snow total forecasts are not shown as the storm will continue its snow production beyond the next 48 hours.

Winter storm watches and winter weather advisories will soon be issued by local National Weather Service offices later today for the various states mentioned.

At this time, this doesn't look like a major snow producer for New York City.

From D.C. to Philadelphia, the current snow forecast calls for the heaviest amounts to be found south and east of I-95.

Still, I must say that this snowfall forecast is still evolving as computer weather models hone in on the finer details of the storm.

This is a developing situation with more updates to follow today and Friday.

I can't wait
smile.gif

I was suppose to go into manhattan sunday for me n my girls 1 year anniversary dinner but I guess I'm on a blizzard watch...WOOOHOOO!

Guess I'll be getting some egg nog, cookies , movies and chilling with the fam all weekend. Southern MD will probably get just as much as DC is getting.

^ lol im mad your happy you dont have to go lol

@jlab0ch0

looks like ill be working out at home and no community service for me tomorrow.

I don't feel like shoveling this weekend, still need to do some x-mas shopping
smh.gif
...looks like I'm going to be very tired this weekend

smh.gif

Up to a foot here in Maryland.

Y'all be safe out there.

Don't wanna hear about any NTers going mountain climbing during a damn blizzard.
laugh.gif

My-T.

Not looking forward to this at all.

I have to drive to a work Christmas party on Sat night. Should be a disaster!

- illadelph here!
nerd.gif

- Mounted the Thule rack, yesterday
wink.gif

- Greasing up the snowboard, today
eek.gif

- Enjoying the snowfall, Saturday
smokin.gif

- Pocono's (snowboarding), Sunday
smh.gif
pimp.gif
smh.gif
..........................E-A-G-L-E-S football, Sunday!
embarassed.gif

- Every week this year. Every Weeeeeeek.....!
smh.gif
sick.gif
smh.gif

Better you than us. It hit 25 degrees yesterday and I was damn near in shorts
smh.gif
didnt even have to wear a jacket while taking the dog out. I hate the snowthough, makes it such a pain in the $+@ to go anywhere

Bout to take my sis up on her offer to chill in ATL next week, I'm in VA right now and I haven't seen a flake yet

I wish it would have started last night so I didn't have to work today. Indid go to the store in case it gets bad. Frying shrimp tonight.

yeah i have to stock up on some gatorade...i got plenty of top ramen and cheese to make it thru a mini blizzard tho.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

mad.gif
boooooo snow on the weekend is worthless. Why couldn't this hold off until Sunday night? FML
co-sign.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

smh.gif

Up to a foot here in Maryland.

Y'all be safe out there.

Don't wanna hear about any NTers going mountain climbing during a damn blizzard.
laugh.gif

My-T.

Only good thing about this is it will keep many lil bammas in doors...

I love the snow, but my last day for classes is Monday and I got a final on that day..Borderline failing the class too
smh.gif

Eh, bring the snow..I'll make it to school. 4x4 FTW
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom