2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Haha no eyes are falling back on Nike SB (which is fine by me). For a lot of people, sneakers are beco peming a complement to the outfit now rather than revolving the fit around the sneakers (see: tiffany kid). People just don't want to style dunks with biker jeans, tapered cargos, slacks, etc. Look across fits on reddit (r/streetwear), grailed, outlets such as highsnobiety, hypebeast - you probably won't see many people wearing old dunks, new dunks, or other SB models. There's no "hypebeast starter kit" that's including dunks anymore. Ship has long sailed.

Again I think this is a good thing for people still tryna cop Nike SB. I don't give a **** if no one else likes dunks, easier and cheaper for the rest of us. Do you guys think it'd be a good thing for Nike SB released to be more hype and hectic?

I hear you, but honestly it's all about hype. Many of those same r/streetwear guys rock AJ1s which aren't that different from dunks all they care about is if it's limited and desired(sbb, frags, bred, royal etc).
SB hasn't had that since the tiff highs, and they didn't follow up properly after those so they didn't build momentum.

When pics first dropped of the off white AJ1 I remember they were pretty much universally hated on. Fast forward we find out they are going to be one of the most limited drops of the year and bang they are suddenly everyone sneaker of the year, and gonna be all over these same fashion kids IGs. Basically what I'm saying is that many of those r/streetwear guys will just keep hoping on to the next hyped sneaker, from yeezys, to Aj1s, mars yard, kaws 4, ovo anything, supreme, to possibly the next pigeons depending on rarity.

Haha no eyes are falling back on Nike SB (which is fine by me). For a lot of people, sneakers are beco peming a complement to the outfit now rather than revolving the fit around the sneakers (see: tiffany kid). People just don't want to style dunks with biker jeans, tapered cargos, slacks, etc. Look across fits on reddit (r/streetwear), grailed, outlets such as highsnobiety, hypebeast - you probably won't see many people wearing old dunks, new dunks, or other SB models. There's no "hypebeast starter kit" that's including dunks anymore. Ship has long sailed.

Again I think this is a good thing for people still tryna cop Nike SB. I don't give a **** if no one else likes dunks, easier and cheaper for the rest of us. Do you guys think it'd be a good thing for Nike SB released to be more hype and hectic?

I think it would be good for the Nike SB brand and execs if they hyped them and made them exclusive/limited. Especially if they coupled that with different collabs and such. In this day, people clamor towards exclusive s***. I mean, and I would NEVER EVER want this to happen, but if we lived in a world where Nike gave the SB brand to Kanye, we (as in those of us who truly rock with SBs) would catch hell trying to get even the most basic colorways. Hell, what if Nike SB had a regular, bimonthly partnership with Supreme or Don C? All kinds of eyeballs would be watching SB. And not just a partnership with a trash colorway. If they made an SB low that was white with gucci coloring like those Undefeated Air Maxes, and seeded them out to celebs to get all the hypebeasts in a fury, it'd be crazy trying to get them for us regular folk.

Nike SB just needs to find a balance of hyping them, and being true to what they are. If Nike did dope collabs, and though I'm not with it if it's not natural, paid some influencers (like actual athletes, musicians, actors, etc.) to flex in them, they could be brought to life more. I do like not having to fight tooth and nail for any pairs that I want though. But I can see where some of that stupidity could benefit the brand.

Personally believe dropping a hyped or limited release ultimately doesn’t affect Nike SB success or being the brand back. You have to come correct on quality and GRs as well.

Off White Prestos don’t have people copping more GR Prestos as a result.

tumblr_mutmq210sY1qz8x31o1_500.gif

No matter the quantity of the new Staple Dunk, it's not gonna bring Nike SB back. Pairs of GRs and QSs that are and have been sitting are gonna keep sitting. It's not gonna revitalize (hi jkitty jkitty ) the brand. They'll sell out because of the hype around the original pair, but it's not going to affect the future availability or desire for Dunks as a whole.

My .02 via copy and paste from our convo :lol:

Mass releasing pigeons won’t do **** for the brand. The allure is in the limited factor for their target market. If they’re plentiful no one wants them. All of the previous ones prove that. Kids will buy them and dump them if there were a ton of pairs. Unless they followed them with several outstanding releases the only thing to revitalize it will be a shift in fashion or a drastic overhaul of how they’re handling things now.

The only thing that will bring back SB will be SB consistently dropping solid releases. The materials, concepts and execution MUST be better going forward. Dropping “limited” stuff won’t help. It’s not helping JB either. Resellers eat up their limited crap and the awful GRs sit hard at this point. At this point SB has got to recognize this and make a turn for the better.

I know and I hate to say it, but SB needs to Retro the exact same sneaker, not high to low or low to high and in limited quantities one time only. Not like how JB does every few years. 1 year nothing but orange box Retros next year nothing but Silver box Retros and so on.

donewithjs donewithjs your method would work for a few years, then what? John00 John00 point is the solution imo... something like a pigeon low to high retro will get OGs to come and cop, some new heads too, and what a wonderful surprise would be that when you open the box you find a shoe with some premium suede and leather? now we've seen it with the tiff release how their were a few peeps who hung around a bit but they mostly all disappeared once they starting seeing garbage *** CWs coming out with hard plastic leather and shark soft suede covering the shoe... theres some talented *** people out there that come up with some amazing concepts for shoes but they got these thoughtless dudes pumping out garbage and getting the approval to go ahead with the production.

Until they up the quality and make some good concepts a reality, neither I nor 95 percent of this thread are going to buy any SB at the price that Nike wants us to pay, and I’d say a good portion of those people won’t buy them at all anymore.
I’m completely disillusioned with the trash they think we want and will pay for.
Nike has such obvious disdain for their customers. A few years ago yeah, it didn’t matter because they’d all sell out, but now?
Nike kinda screwed themselves by thinking thy could keep upping prices and making trash models with trash materials.
I’m all done now, I mean I’ll still buy a few retros because I love them but I haven’t bought an SB in a good long while.

I don't know any young people that are even moderately interested in dunks
My son sometimes will wear them just because we wear the same size (and he has lots to choose from) but to most young people there really isn't any attraction to them

They don't remember the 80's they don't remember skating in the 90's..... most aren't even old enough to know about the 2000's (well early 2000's)
They like vans or converse or janoskis or sperrys
From what I've seen dunks are dead with the youth

I know and I hate to say it, but SB needs to Retro the exact same sneaker...

It might go against the grain of this thread, but I've actually admired that they haven't,and seemingly don't plan to do direct "re-releases" of older box dunks. I see it as a matter of integrity, and they'd rather appeal to a "skater" demographic rather than bring back old pairs which are hugely associated with that early noughties streetwear/ "hypebeast" style. No idea if this new angle Nike SB is taking actually benefits/profits them, but it seems to be the direction they're sticking to and I'm ok with it (regardless of whether their newer models fit/appeal to me).

This of course is personal conjecture, and there is also the possibility that they do actually just have people in charge now who are completely clueless / out of touch.

I’m just gonna say this.

At this point, I wish they would just stop making Dunk SBs all together.

I don’t need any new colors.

I remember about 2 years into the dunk sb, someone was saying that they heard Nike SB would stop the dunk after like 4 years.

I’m just gonna say this.

I remember about 2 years into the dunk sb, someone was saying that they heard Nike SB would stop the dunk after like 4 years.

Couldn’t agree more...

It’s clear they aren’t going to do it right so rather than continue watching the model sink, let’s just let it go...

I’m just gonna say this.

I feel like what they should do is just have a core release dunk that doesn't get discontinued like the Venom and just keep it as the shoe that's out whenever you're looking for a dunk. Then when they have a decent concept put out special releases. They cut the colors down to like 6 releases a year but produce a decent amount of them, it'd get people back on board.

Back
Top Bottom