2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Yesterday
IMG_20240628_174750 (2).jpg

Today
IMG_20240630_160037.jpg

Have a blessed Sunday

I mean them touching the UNDFTD 4’s again was sign enough that nothing is off limits…Their long range forecast must’ve been absolutely dire…

Their issue, and it’s been this way for a very long time now, is that they stopped innovating and relied almost solely on nostalgia…Then going to the bag when things start looking bad is not a surprise at all…Them doing this so quickly is very troubling however…We all know the bulk of Nike’s revenue is from normal mainline stuff that’s sold off a store shelf somewhere…Their intentional limiting product has soured people on the brand outright and people have started looking elsewhere as a result…

They want the re-release of this ultra limited product to spur those mainline sales but I don’t think it’ll work like that anymore…If they limit stuff people aren’t going to fold any but a close enough model / colorway anymore, they’ll simply look to another brand to get that bad taste out of their mouth…The last thing they should be planning is re-releasing limited product again, in a limited run…That’s just going to remind everyone that Nike doesn’t want everyone touching certain things 🤷‍♂️

As an aside, This is direct from the Wu so it’s legit…

Yup... nothing is sacred these days. They will keep resorting to bringing back stuff from the vault. Nike is just out of touch these days in general by bringing back shoes that people aren't even asking for. They need to innovate if they want to move mainline product. The last innovate thing I can recall them releasing was prob flyknit.

Yup... nothing is sacred these days. They will keep resorting to bringing back stuff from the vault. Nike is just out of touch these days in general by bringing back shoes that people aren't even asking for. They need to innovate if they want to move mainline product. The last innovate thing I can recall them releasing was prob flyknit.

I’d say the Vapormax were the last major innovation that caught on, but that was seven years ago. They’re lagging like crazy.

DripNick DripNick INSANE wears. Love those oxides

Y'all ignorant as hell lmao. Your realities of only copping retros and paying attention to 80s/90s silhouettes do not mean the rest of us are stuck in those ways. Some sneakerheads have such a narrow scope of the industry as a whole. Nike's bread and butter is outfitting families and athletes. Sneakerheads pale in comparison to the amount of normies that need to buy clothing and shoes for their families or sports seasons

I too wear mostly 80s/90s retros, but at times I need something different. I hoop, I hike, and I used to run more so I've gotten to explore a good range of nike products. Vapormax and flyknit :rofl: y'all really not outside. React, zoomx, zoom strobels, flyease, auto lacing (gimmicky as it may be, it will eventually be more commonplace), just to name a few recent techs. I got the pegasus trail 4, great shoe that I was able to get on deep discount for running and hiking. The jordan 36 was one of my favorite hoop shoes ever. The whole ACG product line pushed forward a lot during the Errolson Hugh line, and since he left, it's been a dope blend of retro + modern from footwear to clothing.

Idk why we as consumers would be worried about nike's market share and brand identity/image anyway :lol: they not paying me a salary, idgaf if retros are a sign of desparation. I just got huf am1 and linen af1 retros, I couldn't be happier about how those releases went.

edit: I also think the way that contemporary shoes like lebron 8s, vomero 5s, kd4s, kobe protros have come back and are still comfortable and performance-worthy is indicative that the tech has plateaued a little. All of those were top of the line performers at the time 10+ years ago, and are still more than adequate now.

Last edited:
Here’s how Nike has been playing the game for at least a couple decades now…

Release a limited sneaker that almost nobody can get at…The people who miss have the FOMO vibe and buy what’s made available to them from the mainline catalog…People see others flossing the Nike mainline stuff and head out to buy it themselves…Next thing you know massively produced crap quality Dunks and Jordan 1 Mids (As an example) are selling out everywhere…After all, a whole generation of people grew up with Nike being the unquestioned king of sportswear built off the back of innovation and product endorsement…

This process was so successful that Nike almost completely stopped innovating over the years…Why? Because why bother with the costs associated with R&D when you can get people to buy out whole product runs of a sneaker, at 300% markup, you’ve been making inferior quality versions of for decades…All they have to do is give off this illusion of exclusivity…Next thing you know social media explodes and they cut 80% of their R&D team, but business keeps booming…

What’s been gradually happening however is that they’ve built themselves into a corner with this approach…The generation that’s out driving sportswear sales now doesn’t have a feeling of attachment to the brand through their big product advancements and signature athletes, meanwhile the ones that drove that success in the past are aging out of the core group of buyers…They don’t have a Michael Jordan to inflate the prestige and they stopped driving to create the best new athletic technology in the business…Today’s buyers won’t fall into the ~I missed out FOMO Nike purchase~ group because they don’t have that connection that prior generations had 🤷‍♂️…Today’s buyer is more than willing to move on to other brands of Nike doesn’t allow them access to the stuff they want…So it’s caused Nike to enter this uncharted territory where they lose market share while other brands make big market gains…It’s been happening over the past couple years but really hit a wall last week…Nike has built their whole release strategy, like their entire release catalog, around nostalgia that isn’t there…

What’s releasing now with the Wu Tangs, UNDFTD’s, Patta’s, Galaxy’s (etc…) is a result of what Nike was seeing a couple years ago…They literally have no other approach than to try and double down on the nostalgia angle because that’s all they know how to do at this point…They want so badly to recreate that 1999 Jordan retro explosion but can’t do it…The original Jordan retro’s succeeded because everyone had access to the shoes in their younger days and were anxious to relive the memories they had with wearing them…These releases don’t carry that same weight because they were so limited initially that almost nobody had them…The only people looking for them are the people who knew of them and couldn’t buy them originally…They’ll be limited, resellers will buy up the stock, resellers will take a loss on the aftermarket because the nostalgia buyer isn’t spending a ton of money to buy them 🤷‍♂️

In a couple years when the results of this most recent earnings disappointment land I fully expect Nike to continue with business as usual…They don’t have any other option…They don’t know how to innovate and market themselves anymore and it’s costing them…

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, Nike is definitely hurting. They are pulling out THE BIG GUNS to get people interested and buying. They’re feeling the impact of the economy and the KNOW things will get worse.
Personally I don't think dropping these is going to get the average consumer interested in buying Nike. The same people that purchased or where interested in Futura's, etc will be buying these.

Man named a bunch of trash models he sees outside in NY lol

Trash shoes in abundance are everywhere bro, in every brand and in every city

The point that’s being missed is that with Nike particularly, there was a time where their new **** was fire and cats looked forward to the models.

That hasn’t been the case in years.

The old days was the old days. I've seen people in this thread share anticipation for the vertebrae, ishod 2, the new olympic skate shoe comin up...if you look elsewhere in the nike/JB sections, there's always movement on new shoe threads like anything from the lebron line, GT basketball, sabrina 1/2. And so whether or not you personally like them or anticipate them, there are plenty that do. There's a lot of good shoes to be had when you look past the hype.

Back
Top Bottom