2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Hypebeasts can love exclusivity. The more limited the more hype.

Real collectors (in any hobby) don’t hate exclusivity but they don’t “love it” either. It just is what it is. Of course no one enjoys spending as much as possible for something they want but at the same time they understand exclusivity is necessary to keep the hobby special and worth collecting and not played out.

NMDs used to be huge until Adidas decided to ignore this principle. Panda dunk memes are a direct consequence of ignoring this principle.

I know I come off combative at times but this is the single thing that constantly perplexes me. In no other hobby are there so many people who complain about exclusivity as if Nike owes you **** lol like even little kids don’t complain about rare pokemon cards or funko pops as much as some of you grown @ss mfs lmao

Yo fellas. I guess I haven’t kept up on Dunks lately. What happened to these?
IMG_3743.png

Did this end up being something else not matching the mock ups?

Am I missing the big deal about the Wu Tangs being re-released? I wouldn't be surprised if they were very limited, and they have been open to re-release sportswear retros.

The reaction to this news is more in line to what I'd think people would say if they were retro'ing SBs. They still refuse to open the SB vault, and I don't think this changes that. I guess what I'm trying to say is this seems pretty in line to what they've been doing IMO.

Am I missing the big deal about the Wu Tangs being re-released? I wouldn't be surprised if they were very limited, and they have been open to re-release sportswear retros.

The reaction to this news is more in line to what I'd think people would say if they were retro'ing SBs. They still refuse to open the SB vault, and I don't think this changes that. I guess what I'm trying to say is this seems pretty in line to what they've been doing IMO.
It’s just the simpleton narrative hitting because Nike’s stock took a big hit on Friday. This was probably decided on 2+ years ago.

I fully believe SB’s getting a full on retro are coming…With those “Pro B” colorways floating around I’d imagine it’ll be sooner rather than later…

Only OG release I can see being an issues is probably something like the Alphanumeric Pro B’s since Alphanumeric which went out of business a a while ago…

It’s just the simpleton narrative hitting because Nike’s stock took a big hit on Friday. This was probably decided on 2+ years ago.

That’s exactly right…Since these releases are based on Nike’s business circa 2021-2022, then we should be getting flooded with all kinds of stuff in ‘26-‘27 as a result of whatever happens throughout this year…Unless they change their approach…All good for actual sneakerheads, for now, but not so good for Nike and POSSIBLY sneakerheads long-term…

I fully believe SB’s getting a full on retro are coming…With those “Pro B” colorways floating around I’d imagine it’ll be sooner rather than later…

Only OG release I can see being an issues is probably something like the Alphanumeric Pro B’s since Alphanumeric which went out of business a a while ago…

Weren't the Viotechs Pro Bs? If so they've already done Pro Bs 5 years ago. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just don't see them doing SBs until I see an actual retro made.

Weren't the Viotechs Pro Bs? If so they've already done Pro Bs 5 years ago. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just don't see them doing SBs until I see an actual retro made.

Yes they were, but not the fat tongue “skate” versions…And to be fair, the ones that have been floating around aren’t exact retros either…It just feels like they’re slowly approaching that point…25th anniversary of the OG SB set honestly wouldn’t surprise me…

Yes they were, but not the fat tongue “skate” versions…And to be fair, the ones that have been floating around aren’t exact retros either…It just feels like they’re slowly approaching that point…25th anniversary of the OG SB set honestly wouldn’t surprise me…

I feel like they've always skirted the idea of retro SBs, but never really making it happen. Just like the Wheat and Denim Forbes, a clear reference but not the real thing. Meanwhile Air Max collabs are getting retros, it's kind of a head scratcher if you think about it. Jordans, Air Ships, Foamposites, and even Shox have gotten retros, but they have held out on SBs for some reason.

Let's be honest though. A lot of yall only want the exclusive ****. If any of those classics retro and arent limited the demand for them wont be anywhere near what it is with them as a limited release. If they make 100k pair of Wu Tang dunks they will end up on sale. If they only make 20k they will sell out and everyone will complain Nike didn't make enough. Supreme is a perfect example of what happens when a brand becomes too accessible.

I like buying shoes on sale it feels better than having something super exclusive, I really just care about how the shoe looks, is it a colorway I would rock, and if the materials are decent. I'm not everyone tho, and yes a hypebeast is gonna hypebeast more over a more exclusive hypebeast type shoe that's exactly who they make em for

This is my headspace as well…But then again that’s probably a result of the time that I came up in sneakers…I simply buy what I like and in recent years it’s mostly been stuff I’ve been able to get for retail or below, luckily…

Sometimes something that’s “hype” will catch my eye, Futura SB’s for example, and I’ll get down with the limited release dance…It’s just part of the modern sneaker game, but honestly not feeling the need to buy every single “hyped” up shoe that drops and limiting myself to what I actually personally like certainly differentiates my perspective to most of the other sneakerheads in 2024…Release everything in massive numbers and the people who are in it for the sneakers will eat it up, while the people who attach this perceived secondary high monetary value to certain drops will be miserable…Flip that when they start intentionally limiting stuff…There’s no happy middle ground anymore…It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

Let's be honest though. A lot of yall only want the exclusive ****. If any of those classics retro and arent limited the demand for them wont be anywhere near what it is with them as a limited release. If they make 100k pair of Wu Tang dunks they will end up on sale. If they only make 20k they will sell out and everyone will complain Nike didn't make enough. Supreme is a perfect example of what happens when a brand becomes too accessible.

That’s the catch 22 right there…I honestly think people can’t just be happy nowadays unless someone else tells them they can…

Through my lens drops like the Huf AM1’s and Linen AF1’s being fairly attainable, even having low resell, is a good thing because I know these types of shoes have always been “grails” to other people and they are actually attainable now…But someone else looks at that lack of “hype” as being bad because it takes away this mystique that original limited release had ~ some preconceived notion of this monetary value attached to those OG’s…People who really wanted the shoes will be happy, but people who wanted the ~limited~ mystique will hate it because that monetary perception takes a hit…

Last edited:
Real collectors (in any hobby) don’t hate exclusivity but they don’t “love it” either. It just is what it is. Of course no one enjoys spending as much as possible for something they want but at the same time they understand exclusivity is necessary to keep the hobby special and worth collecting and not played out.

NMDs used to be huge until Adidas decided to ignore this principle. Panda dunk memes are a direct consequence of ignoring this principle.

I know I come off combative at times but this is the single thing that constantly perplexes me. In no other hobby are there so many people who complain about exclusivity as if Nike owes you **** lol like even little kids don’t complain about rare pokemon cards or funko pops as much as some of you grown @ss mfs lmao
Tbf, Adidas initially had a Boost manufacturing problem so not sure how much of that was actually intentional, at least initially.

I do think that they intentionally made Hu NMDs extremely limited for a long time though.

Just release enough pairs to make majority of consumers happy, without overproducing so they sit on shelves.

Nike needs to be better about projecting what the consumer wants, and stop dropping BS colorways, and Frankenstein designs that no one wants.

Limiting a pair that will sell well with the masses, yet GR (or even release in general) something horrid that NO ONE wants is hustling backwards.

What they’re doing with the black/gum, and white/gum orange labels is perfect, imo.

Back
Top Bottom