2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Lovetohate3000 Lovetohate3000 you're my guy I'm just trying to demonstrate to you how incredibly dumb you sound, because you sound dumb as hell. It's borderline bigotry. It's actually full blown bigotry but I don't believe you're that type of person. I just think this particular stance of yours is hella shallow minded with no critical thinking or perspective behind it whatsoever. What you're saying is the equivalent of telling a woman that she should just stay in the kitchen. It's not about celebrity worship or just sharing opinions, you're way off base with all that.

Amen.

I dont agree with you very much, but this is spot on.

I'm surprised with lakersman3000. He died a little bit to me with his views here. And i don't even think he understands what we're all seeing.

It's not about his opinion being better or more important that you, I, or anyone else. It's the reach that he has with said opinion that's important. You may not look up to these athletes as role models, but they do have major influence culturally, just look at A.I. I hope more actually step up and use their voices for something other than just selling stuff. The whole shut up and play ball and act like nothing is going on in the world is cringe worthy. Like these things may not have affected them in the past or even do so now as we've seen from that Bucks player having the cops called on him for looking at an expensive car dealership. Their status doesn't preclude them from discrimination or absolve them from the plight of their people. You need to chill, seriously.

+1

It's not about his opinion being better or more important that you, I, or anyone else. It's the reach that he has with said opinion that's important. You may not look up to these athletes as role models, but they do have major influence culturally, just look at A.I. I hope more actually step up and use their voices for something other than just selling stuff. The whole shut up and play ball and act like nothing is going on in the world is cringe worthy. Like these things may not have affected them in the past or even do so now as we've seen from that Bucks player having the cops called on him for looking at an expensive car dealership. Their status doesn't preclude them from discrimination or absolve them from the plight of their people. You need to chill, seriously.

Well said.

Only thing I notice is people want athletes to speak up more and voice their opinion when it's the same opinion as theirs. When it isn't, that's when people throw tantrums and tell them their opinion isn't important, is wrong, etc

See Curt Schilling or a John Rocker

If you want all these athletes to all speak up, then be prepared for some serious ideological differences to pop up and then as a fan some tough choices.

All said I'm fine with the NBA decision. I get what they are doing but there are some negative consequences to people that aren't involved at all with the state's decision to begin with. Comes with the territory I guess. Like I said, they (NBA) should try to be consistent moving forward on 'what they support and fight for'

Only thing I notice is people want athletes to speak up more and voice their opinion when it's the same opinion as theirs. When it isn't, that's when people throw tantrums and tell them their opinion isn't important, is wrong, etc

If you want all these athletes to all speak up, then be prepared for some serious ideological differences to pop up and then as a fan some tough choices.

All said I'm fine with the NBA decision. I get what they are doing but there are some negative consequences to people that aren't involved at all with the state's decision to begin with. Comes with the territory I guess. Like I said, they (NBA) should try to be consistent moving forward on 'what they support and fight for'
The issue here isn't agreeing or disagreeing with what the athlete says...but more about the belief that they SHOULDN'T say anything.

I've never seen anyone take the "shut up and just play" approach with Schilling or Rocker.

Personally I don't like politics in sports, but there are so many agendas out there that nowadays it will trickle into sports. NBA had to withdraw because the activists would probably raise hell about the issue and sully the image of the NBA "progressiveness".

What's wrong with telling someone their opinion is wrong?

That's different from saying people shouldn't speak out at all.

Dumb opinions are still dumb and right opinions are still right.

Leemelone taking all my reps today with the erupt-esque sarcasm :rofl:

The NBA has severeal homosexual players in the league. Why would they not stand up for these players?

The issue here isn't agreeing or disagreeing with what the athlete says...but more about the belief that they SHOULDN'T say anything.

I've never seen anyone take the "shut up and just play" approach with Schilling or Rocker.

Really? I've seen that in a ton of comments...well with Schill. Rocker was prior to full social media.

But yeah, these guys have a right to voice their opinion...and sometimes can do a lot of 'good' by doing so. But you will get the athletes that say things which make your blood boil. Just have to still recognize their right to speak out and not try to suppress

Personally I don't like politics in sports, but there are so many agendas out there that nowadays it will trickle into sports. NBA had to withdraw because the activists would probably raise hell about the issue and sully the image of the NBA "progressiveness".
These things have less to do with "activists" and more about political power. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-power-reaching-record-as-u-s-attitudes-shift

The president of the NBA's most popular team is a member of the LGBT community. There are more players than you think in the league that are also gay. Beyond sports, many of them are in positions of power across several industries. Their reach is massive. 

Another thing to note...these sports teams are owned by billionaires who became rich in other industries where politics decide everything. The idea that politics is somehow separate from sports is false.

I wonder if Buc Em was this upset wen the NBA banned Donald Sterling from the league. Weren't people mad at the clippers for not protesting/sitting out the playoffs? So what is it?

Last edited:

These things have less to do with "activists" and more about political power. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-power-reaching-record-as-u-s-attitudes-shift

The president of the NBA's most popular team is a member of the LGBT community. There are more players than you think in the league that are also gay. Beyond sports, many of them are in positions of power across several industries. Their reach is massive. 

Another thing to note...these sports teams are owned by billionaires who became rich in other industries where politics decide everything. The idea that politics is somehow separate from sports is false.
You got a good point there. But yeah I agree, politics is an inevitable force in sports whether we like it or not.

You got a good point there. But yeah I agree, politics is an inevitable force in sports whether we like it or not.
true... just like how i cant understand how athletes or celebrities  influence people, whether i understand or agree , they obviously still do. 

Last edited:

true... just like how i cant understand how athletes or celebrities  influence people, whether i understand or agree , they obviously still do. 
Humans influence humans. It's been like that since the beginning of time. Obviously ones that are being broadcasted through mass communication via frequencies and soundwaves to the masses around the clock are going to have more influence than the common man. They're called "stars" for a reason. 

Think I'm going to declare for the WNBA Draft. If they don't let me then they're discriminating against my rights as a human!

this has been explained multiple times.

MULTIPLE times. :lol: :smh:

If you are on hormone blockers for more than 2 years, any advantage that comes strictly from being male is gone.

if you have had your testes removed you are actually at a disadvantage compared to the average woman.

Last edited:
@JacobLRosen Gives Blazers ~$112.3M in guaranteed 2017-18 salaries. Cap projection is $102M.
@JacobLRosen Portland's $112.3M via Lillard $26.2M, McCollum $24.0M, Crabbe $18.5M, Turner $17.1M, Leonard $9.9M, Aminu $7.3M, Davis $6.4M, others $2.8M.

Back
Top Bottom