2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Russ will get traded if the thunder are like .500 or something by the AS break. It won't be this summer though. 

That's inevitable to me if they're an avg team this year fighting for 6-8 in the west. On the heels of this KD madness, the Thunder won't go through this again. They can't afford to let him go for nothing.

The hard part is going to be finding a suitor. You won't get equal value for Westbrook, but you don't wanna get completely hosed, which is what will probably happen with OKC in this scenario. They hold no leverage with WB being a FA next summer and them having to essentially get rid of him.

If however they bust a Portland from this past year and are competitive, that could be a selling point and you could ride it out w/Russ into the summer but even then that's risky. 

A-friend, let's just say Russ gets traded, either by the deadline or next summer in a S&T.

To what team would you think he goes and what would you like in return?

Oh man I don't know. I'd say leave that to Presti I guess.

Asking me what I'd prefer in a lose lose situation is the equivalent of someone taking my bill fold and Truck but leaving me $5 to catch a cab home. I'm still going to be pissed when I get home, I'd rather just walk you know

If they wait for ASB or the deadline then the only teams they can deal to are teams wanting to rent him for the playoffs or teams trying to get those last 2 spots or something. Those playoff teams take the bigger risk especially if they don't win it all or get knocked out quickly.

At that point they won't be getting the most in return like they could if they trade him before the season starts unless they just luck in to a team in a whole other firesale situation or mess with a dumb GM.

At that point any losing team wouldn't be stupid enough to trade for him and then be like we can build around you next off-season.

so you are saying Melo is worth Kyrie plus a 1st rounder?

Nah

Melo for Kyrie and a first rounder certainly doesn't make much sense either. But at least make it some what reasonable.

I don't think the "banana boat squad" will ever come to fruition. Melo has stuck around for the past few years because Phil promised drastic change and so far he's delivered. How the Knicks do this upcoming season is still up in the air, but right now they're looking a lot better.

You will never get equal return for a super star in any sport.

Thunder need to sit down with Russy and basically air it out.

Either he's gonna stay or they have to blow it up.

I think the Thunder know Russ leaving is eminent. I wouldn't be surprised if they deal him as soon as teams official sign their agreements with their free agency acquisitions.

If they wait for ASB or the deadline then the only teams they can deal to are teams wanting to rent him for the playoffs or teams trying to get those last 2 spots or something. Those playoff teams take the bigger risk especially if they don't win it all or get knocked out quickly.

At that point they won't be getting the most in return like they could if they trade him before the season starts unless they just luck in to a team in a whole other firesale situation or mess with a dumb GM.

At that point any losing team wouldn't be stupid enough to trade for him and then be like we can build around you next off-season.

You never will get full value for a player like Westbrook. You'd also have to find a team he's willing to go to play for in the long term.

IF the Thunder can't move Russ, something tells me he goes back to LA and plays for the Lakers where he can run the show. Lakers trade away Randle, D'angelo and draft picks.

Do it riley. Dragic Winslow Richardson and mcroberts.

It's ridiculous nonsense like this is what pollutes great threads.

How does this make any sense? Russell couldn't get along with KD (allegedly), how do you think he'll get along with a primadonna in the making of Whiteside? Not happening.

Melo for Kyrie and a first rounder certainly doesn't make much sense either. But at least make it some what reasonable.

I don't think the "banana boat squad" will ever come to fruition. Melo has stuck around for the past few years because Phil promised drastic change and so far he's delivered. How the Knicks do this upcoming season is still up in the air, but right now they're looking a lot better.
I think the Thunder know Russ leaving is eminent. I wouldn't be surprised if they deal him as soon as teams official sign their agreements with their free agency acquisitions.
You never will get full value for a player like Westbrook. You'd also have to find a team he's willing to go to play for in the long term.

IF the Thunder can't move Russ, something tells me he goes back to LA and plays for the Lakers where he can run the show. Lakers trade away Randle, D'angelo and draft picks.
It's ridiculous nonsense like this is what pollutes great threads.

How does this make any sense? Russell couldn't get along with KD (allegedly), how do you think he'll get along with a primadonna in the making of Whiteside? Not happening.

Because Whiteside is a post player whereas Durant is a wing who needed the ball in his hand. Perhaps that.

Craziness today.  "Level headed" Warrior fan here and it's crazy to see my facebook and IG filled with Warrior fans who LOVE KD now.  They love the move and turn the blind eye when they were the same folks saying "Lebron needs to hop on a team with other stars,"  "The greats don't need to leave their team," etc. etc.... and you know what, it's true.  MJ, Kobe, and others didn't leave their team...I get it, but it's a different era in the NBA.  The superteams are what's happening now.  Staying with your team for 15+ years isn't common anymore, but I see a lot of hypocrites which makes me cringe.  It is exciting to see a player of KD's caliber to come to the Bay Area.  Steph is a 2 time MVP but I don't know if I would quite put him on the same level as KD, Lebron, Kobe...not yet at least. 

As far as those who hate the move, I see that side as well.  You want to see competitors and leaving to a super team takes away from competing, especially when it's a team that you lost to when you were up 3-1.  Again...I see it.  It's crazy to see that he is getting the Lebron treatment and having his jersey burned.  On the flipside...KD fulfilled his obligation, he played 8-9 years there and gave that community and organization all he had.  Where he wants to go is where he wants to go.  He didn't get the job done, didn't get the results and you could even say he choked in the Conference Finals.  

Bottom Line:  Warrior fans love it (I'm excited as a Warrior fan/basketball fan), Haters hate it (I see why, I see why competitors have a problem with it), it's sports people, stop being so sensitive/overly happy about this....KD isn't your friend, family member.  He didn't rob you, take money from you or steal your girl.  He doesn't owe anything to anyone.  
Alot of dudes are hypocrites, but thats just sports. I remember when LBJ left, the media forced the villian role on him, but now they are trying to protect KD which makes no sense when Lebron was crucified bc media forced the "Chosen one" narrative on a kid before he went to the NBA. As Lebron didnt make sacrifices and do all the work and carry those no name scrubs to the finals in 07. East was very good from 06-10 and Boston owned lebrons *** for awhile, but the easy way out wouldve been Lebron taking less money to go to Boston, but no matter where he went he wouldve been hated regardless. Dan Gilbert is a fraud and the worst GM in all of sports, he doesnt deserve a chip, hes not even from CLE hes from Detroit. Lebron knew coming back that he had to take control and make the decisions bc management was cheap and didnt recruit more role players the first time around, similar to OKC but KD had a much better cast, they just couldnt beat the spurs most of the time. KD only lost once to GS, its not like you got your *** handed down to them for years. Yes KD did choke, but RW is hazardous in late game decision making. If any PG has the best decision making I would say CP3/Kyrie/Wall/Lillard. No questions asked they just handle **** and get it done and dont end up throwing the ball away with stupid passes costing big games. I think KD was tired of playing with a trainwreck and not having the same power as Lebron has. He wants Lebrons legacy and hes always been his biggest critic yet jealous of him. Not all superstars should be GMs, honestly Lebron is a great business man but a terrible GM. They overpaid for a championship but it worked out. KD did a business move and we should respect that, but its not fair to criticize Lebron bc he joined a team that went 47-35 the year before, KD joined a team that already won a year before and went 73-9 without you. You needed them more than they needed you. It looks like a Robb Horry/leech move though. And I like KD.

Alot of dudes are hypocrites, but thats just sports. I remember when LBJ left, the media forced the villian role on him, but now they are trying to protect KD which makes no sense when Lebron was crucified bc media forced the "Chosen one" narrative on a kid before he went to the NBA. As Lebron didnt make sacrifices and do all the work and carry those no name scrubs to the finals in 07. East was very good from 06-10 and Boston owned lebrons *** for awhile, but the easy way out wouldve been Lebron taking less money to go to Boston, but no matter where he went he wouldve been hated regardless. Dan Gilbert is a fraud and the worst GM in all of sports, he doesnt deserve a chip, hes not even from CLE hes from Detroit. Lebron knew coming back that he had to take control and make the decisions bc management was cheap and didnt recruit more role players the first time around, similar to OKC but KD had a much better cast, they just couldnt beat the spurs most of the time. KD only lost once to GS, its not like you got your *** handed down to them for years. Yes KD did choke, but RW is hazardous in late game decision making. If any PG has the best decision making I would say CP3/Kyrie/Wall/Lillard. No questions asked they just handle **** and get it done and dont end up throwing the ball away with stupid passes costing big games. I think KD was tired of playing with a trainwreck and not having the same power as Lebron has. He wants Lebrons legacy and hes always been his biggest critic yet jealous of him. Not all superstars should be GMs, honestly Lebron is a great business man but a terrible GM. They overpaid for a championship but it worked out. KD did a business move and we should respect that, but its not fair to criticize Lebron bc he joined a team that went 47-35 the year before, KD joined a team that already won a year before and went 73-9 without you. You needed them more than they needed you. It looks like a Robb Horry/leech move though. And I like KD.

Why would LeBron going to Boston make any sense? He went to Miami because he had an option to play with a YOUNGER group of stars. That Boston "3 party" had 2 years left before they'd run out of gas and then he'd be back in the same situation he was in back in Cleveland. The only difference was that he had some aging all-stars.

KD going to the Warriors was more of a function of him playing with guys who are entering or in their primes. LeBron got crucified because he made his decision into such a spectacle. Looking back in hindsight, that was a mistake and and LeBron knows it.

You also have to consider the NBA has never seen a player take over so much control of his destiny. It was never seen before. Which played a role into the vilification of LeBron. People are scared of change and what they don't understand. This time around with KD, the NBA knew there was a possibility of him going to the Warriors. Mentally, a lot of people were ready to see him go.

Inside the NBA even had a lengthy discussion over the possibility of KD going to the Warriors during the Spurs series after OKC got clobbered in game 1.

Last edited:
Lebrons and KD leaving are understandable.

Lebron was a prick about it and KD was a ***** about it.

Russell Westbrook is like driving a Ferrari to work, lots of horsepower and scary fast, but unreliable and indecisive on a daily basis. Attractive on paper when you look at the stats but not always sure whats gonna break down next or how costly the damage might be. I dont blame KD for leaving him for a fully loaded Honda Civic. 

Why would LeBron going to Boston make any sense? He went to Miami because he had an option to play with a YOUNGER group of stars. That Boston "3 party" had 2 years left before they'd run out of gas and then he'd be back in the same situation he was in back in Cleveland. The only difference was that he had some aging all-stars.

KD going to the Warriors was more of a function of him playing with guys who are entering or in their primes. LeBron got crucified because he made his decision into such a spectacle. Looking back in hindsight, that was a mistake and and LeBron knows it.

You also have to consider the NBA has never seen a player take over so much control of his destiny. It was never seen before. Which played a role into the vilification of LeBron. People are scared of change and what they don't understand. This time around with KD, the NBA knew there was a possibility of him going to the Warriors. Mentally, a lot of people were ready to see him go.
1) From 08-10, Boston destroyed Lebron in the playoffs. In 2011, that team was overmatched but still very good. 2012 - Boston took a 3-2 lead and we know what happened from there, they couldve went back to the finals had the heat choked. Thats 2 rings, in 2 years. Had Lebron signed a deal like KD for 2 years, thats the same amount he wouldve had in miami in half amount of time, saving 2 years of his prime if he went that route. It takes a full season for stars to mesh together, KD wont win in 2017, but the next year i expect him to.

2) Youre correct, nonetheless, he still wouldve gotten his jersey burned at the stake. Thanks Cleveland for starting a negative stereotype for the league, burn a players jersey that left bc the GM was lazy.

3) Lebron has been a trendsetter way before his decision, done alot of things players havent ever done/might do in the future. First go around he somehow got his child hood entourage jobs doing stuff behind the scenes to gain Lebby more power in Cleveland, didnt work the way it shouldve the first time, so the second time around he took that sorry cavs franchise by the throat and told Gilbert hes the captain now. Had MJ had an entourage doing that in Chicago, no way MJ wouldnt have at least 8 titles. Kobe almost did the same, but GM listened and got Pau. NBA isnt traditional anymore and whether anybody likes it or not, every era will always have its flaws. 

LeBron going to Boston in 2010 isn't a good analogy because the Celtics were too old. It would've been a good analogy if KG, Pierce and Ray were 5 years younger each.

LeBron went to Miami in an attempt to create a super team.

These Warriors are a super team to begin with, and now they are adding a top 3 player in the league still in his prime on top of this super team. It doesn't even remotely compare to 2010, nor anything else in NBA history for that matter.

You can focus on "the decision", i.e. how LeBron joined Miami, which we can all agree was a ***** move. But the way he left still doesn't make the 2010-11 Miami Heat nearly as overpowered as the 2016-17 Golden State Warriors will be.

KD wants to build a legacy like LeBron but Russ is hurting him?

What about Steph and Klay now?

KD isn't even needed on GS.

Also if he wanted a PG with better decision makings in clutch he could've gone to Wall.

KD and Russ would've never won anyway. Russ too dumb.

How much better could the Warriors actually be? Not fathomable...

I kno somewhere behind the scenes, Amar'e is doing whatever he can to find the smallest bit of space over there lol

KD wants to build a legacy like LeBron but Russ is hurting him?

What about Steph and Klay now?

KD isn't even needed on GS.

Also if he wanted a PG with better decision makings in clutch he could've gone to Wall.

KD and Russ would've never won anyway. Russ too dumb.
Exactly, 2010 Miami after losing in the first round needed star players bc Wades prime was dwindling. GS could win next year without KD, they were one game away from back 2 back rings. They already had a somewhat dynasty in the works and found their chemistry, but KD is just sending them a year back and they gotta start from square 1 to find out what works now. 4 stars and 1 ball, not going to be easy. Gonna take a year to figure that out. Great move by the cockiest GM in the world, but he shouldnt expect the title to be handed back from Cleveland so fast, bc they found their chemistry too and unless they get Wade, Cavs are keeping Love and know the formula to get to the finals and win. It wouldnt be a shocker if LBJ repeated. Hes done it before. But Wade and Lebron already have that Miami chemistry, it would still work (maybe). Russ has a high motor but a low IQ, he wont win a ring unless he learns how to play SG and play with a true PG. It wouldve been smart  for KD to play with Wall bc Maryland is his home town and nobody would hate him for that. But hes not Lebron, he cant replicate what LBJ did in Cleveland. Its strictly business, everything has a price to pay and if KD isnt the number 1 option on GS, well, i guess he will have to sacrifice stats/legacy for rings. But IMO he wont be in the same class as LBJ even then. Wont even be a debate.

Last edited:
Zero chance thunder can anywhere near value unless Russ agrees to sign the extension. Which I doubt he does. So team throwing real talent, first round picks for three/six months of Russ

How much better could the Warriors actually be? Not fathomable...

I kno somewhere behind the scenes, Amar'e is doing whatever he can to find the smallest bit of space over there lol
for adding a top 5 player, they're only going to be marginally better. only one ball on the court and they already have multiple 3 point shooters. I'm too lazy to look up the stats but i don't think kd's percentages are any different than what they have.

they'd be better off if they had traded for a legit pg. or a great role player.

this is like adding drexler to the bulls instead of rodman.

or drafting 3 top QBs on your fantasy team.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to say that adding the second best player in the league to a team isn't going to make them substantially better.

It's hard for me to say that adding the second best player in the league to a team isn't going to make them substantially better.
it's not hard for me to say it. (is curry 3rd or 4th on your list?)

and unless they go 73-9 again and 16-1 in the playoffs, they won't be much better on paper.

if they win the championship though, everyone will call this a success, which is fine, but they already were the best team of the past 2 years and the favorites to win the finals next year. it's going to be pretty hard to top those pre-kd expectations.

but the biggest benefit won't be that KD is on their team but that KD is not playing for OKC next year.

Last edited:
I can't figure out where to place Curry currently, but the fact that they took OKC out is a very under rated part of this move.

Back
Top Bottom