2015-2016 NBA Regular Season - MDA to HOU - All-NBA - Harden snubbed - Anthony Davis is broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait they really boo'd Russell last night?
Baxter Holmes [emoji]10004[/emoji] ‎@BaxterHolmes

Man, quite a few boos from the Staples Center crowd when D’Angelo Russell was introduced tonight.

9:38 PM - 30 Mar 2016

In the aftermath of a leaked video of teammate Nick Young, a seemingly contrite Los Angeles Lakers guard D’Angelo Russell told The Vertical that he felt “sick” and “sorry” and insisted that he never considered that “these pranks that we pull on each other could have bigger consequences.”

Russell, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft and a cornerstone of the Lakers’ future, has been leveled with the public revelation of a 30-second video that included Young discussing relationships with women outside of his engagement to entertainer Iggy Azalea.
Russell used his phone to make the video in December, but it wasn’t until last week that a celebrity website obtained the video and made it public.

“I am sick,” Russell told The Vertical by phone on his drive to the Staples Center on Wednesday. “I am sorry about recording the video. I can’t repeat myself enough on that: I am sorry I recorded that video. I feel horrible. I wish this never happened.”

When asked about how the video left his possession and became public months after it was recorded, Russell told The Vertical: “Honestly, I have no idea. Me and Nick, that’s our friendship: We play around a lot. Anyone who knows him and knows me, they know that about us. But I apologize for recording that video. I never intentionally wanted to hurt anyone. I never wanted what was said in there to get out. It was my fault that it did, but that was never intentional.

“The thing is, we record ourselves doing dumb stuff all the time,” Russell told The Vertical. “On the road or home, wherever. We go back and watch what we did and said and laugh at ourselves. I guess I just never thought that these pranks we pull on ourselves could have bigger consequences. That was a big lesson I learned.

“I’ve said to myself over and over: What could anyone possibly gain by intentionally doing something that could hurt someone else’s relationship? I never wanted to hurt anyone. I’m sorry for it.”

Russell told the Vertical that he had spoken to Young and apologized to him – but wouldn’t say whether he believed his apology had been accepted. “He heard me out,” Russell told The Vertical. “I cherish our friendship on and off the court. … I never meant to hurt anyone.”

For Russell, the larger issue remains how his teammates – current and future – will accept him. As a point guard, Russell will need players to buy into his leadership. At 20 years old, that was a job that was hard enough for him already. Russell declined to discuss how his teammates had treated him in recent days, but acknowledged that he had relationships to repair.

“Listen, man, I know that it will take some time to regain trust and confidence,” Russell told The Vertical. “I hope they know I would never intentionally hurt someone – and know how horrible I feel.”

After leaving Ohio State after a sparkling freshman season a year ago, Russell wanted desperately for the Lakers to draft him at No. 2 overall. Despite an uneven year of performance and playing time – and now the fervor over the video – Russell insists that his desire to play and ultimately blossom with the Lakers is unwavering.

“I have the best job in the world, playing for this franchise, in a city that I love,” Russell told The Vertical. “You have to be willing to take the good with the bad, and that’s part of this job. … But I feel even stronger today than I did then. I love this city and love this franchise. … I take nothing for granted.

“I know this is going to be tough. I am a good person. I cherish the relationships I have and I would never intentionally hurt someone. I will work hard to earn back the trust of my teammates and those who were impacted by this.

“I’ll do whatever it takes.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/d-angel...003510630.html

Hence, Russell said he felt responsible that exposing Young’s infidelities has compromised his engagement.

“He’s one of the guys I’ve always talked to about anything,” Russell said. “I cherish our friendship. For me to have an incident like this come up and put it in jeopardy is not what I intended to do.”

So why did Russell even record the video?

“We joked around and play all around all the time and said crazy things. This just got in the wrong hands. It wasn’t a prank or something for everybody else to see. This was for my eyes and his eyes only,” Russell said. “There’s really no explanation for the topic of that discussion. But we play around and we joke and we laugh. We say things that you don’t really repeat. That was just an incident of playing too much goes wrong. I take the full blame for that and recording the video. But leaking the video wasn’t me.”

Conflicting accounts have emerged on how much Russell and Young have addressed the incident.

Russell and Young had private discussions regarding the incident, various team sources familiar with the situation said earlier on Wednesday afternoon.

“I’ve reached out to him and talked a little bit,” Russell said. “I let him know my apologies. I don’t know if they were accepted. If not, I wouldn’t blame him.”

But a source close with Young remained adamant on Wednesday evening that Russell has not apologized to Young. Even if Russell did, skepticism lingers that Young would have even accepted the apology. Young spoke for about a minute to reporters, but he did not take any questions.

“I don’t want to get into my personal life right now,” said Young, who is on the active roster after the Lakers said he missed the past two games because of a stomach bug. “I think it’s best me and D’Angelo handle the situation we have in a private manner outside of the media. I think it’s something we do need to sit down and talk about. That’s about it. What happened is what happened. We have to work on it.”

Certain teammates have distanced themselves from Russell and have become distru****l of him after violating an unwritten rule about making details about anyone’s private life public even if it was unintentional, according to sources familiar with the situation.

“There’s been a bad vibe,” Russell said. “We’re human so everybody has two cents to say. We got to clear the air.”

“If I’ve lost anybody’s trust, I’m going to work my tail off to gain it back,” Russell said. “That’s something you need for a winning team. You need everybody to trust each other. You need the first guy to trust the 15th guy. That’s my intentions.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...th-nick-young/

I love how Russell says he has no idea how the video got out there and says that nobody has access to his phone, he didn't send it to anybody and he doesn't think somebody hacked into his phone :lol: it's one or the other buddy. If he really didn't send it to somebody then he would have been out there immediately saying that somebody hacked into his phone. Which I really don't think of all the people in the damn world somebody would want to hack into his just to get a 30 second video of Nick Young. And he can't even say that it was a Snapchat video either cause they won't even let you record 30 seconds of video on there. I guarantee he straight up recorded it on his phone and sent it to one of his friends on some "look at me, I hear famous people gossip" steez and then they sold it to some site.

Last edited:
I really don't get Spo's rotationas. He had Deng & Dragic play the entire first qtr...and first 6 mins of the 2nd qtr. Then the whole Whiteside thing. I don't get it.

Whiteside celebrates a lot. Been knew dude wasn't right upstairs, but he's annoying to watch. I can see Spo's frustration.
if a dude gets 7 blocks hes supposed to celebrate. spo needs to worry about rotations which he hasn't been able to get right for years. YEARS.

Come next season this will be a non story. That's a tough reputation to shake though. Winning is a good memory eraser tho. I would focus on getting better. In time people will forget

Missed the game. D-Lo really got booed during intros? :lol:

He's done in this city. Might as well end this kid like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. :smokin

Boos ended in the First Quarter. They cheered the rest of the game

Kobe got booed opening night in 2007-08

Being a snitch is something that NEVER escapes your reputation. Especially with him playing in Los Angeles and being around Hollywood people that do a lot of sketchy **** on the low...he can still turn into a good NBA player but I don't think anybody is going to be able to trust doing or saying anything around him for a long, long time.

Can you guys imagine if he was on the Grizzlies and did this? He would **** his pants if he had to walk into that locker room :lol:

Last edited:
frown.gif
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

Being a snitch is something that NEVER escapes your reputation. Especially with him playing in Los Angeles and being around Hollywood people that do a lot of sketchy **** on the low...he can still turn into a good NBA player but I don't think anybody is going to be able to trust doing or saying anything around him for a long, long time.

Can you guys imagine if he was on the Grizzlies and did this? He would **** his pants if he had to walk into that locker room :lol:

A lot of people don't seem to remember this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1891629

Come next season this will be a non story. That's a tough reputation to shake though. Winning is a good memory eraser tho. I would focus on getting better. In time people will forget

It probably will be quicker than that.

Lakers are not in the playoffs.. There will be many other story lines to come and go just from the playoffs, and Lakers won't be involved in them.

Had Lakers been a playoff team, they stay in the spotlight, and that story gets rehashed here and there.

Also Kobe's final handful of games will become the prevalent story over the next 2 weeks, as you get closer and closer to the last game.

So for a few days it's going to stay right there in the spotlight of the news cycle.. When you get to Kobe's last 2-3 games, it bumps it out of the way in LA. When playoffs start it bumps it out nationally.

And the only time it will come back up is when Nick Young gets released. And that will pass within a day when no one cares about Nick Young being cut anymore.

Will there be some guys who won't play there because of Russell? Absolutely.

But I think that it's overblown, and won't be nearly as many as some of you think (I.e. when you say all or most).

After a few months, many of the players won't even remember this nonsense.

Will KD pass on the Lakers? Certainly. But it won't be because of what happened with D'Angelo Russell. It will be because of the Lakers just not being a title contender.

Last edited:
All KD really does is chill in his hotel room, smoke and play video games...if he was to ever play for the Lakers then Russell would sure as hell never get an invite over there.

And yeah this story won't be in the national spotlight for the rest of eternity but anytime Russell's name is brought up it's going to be mentioned and players won't forget. Even people around LA that don't even watch basketball will remember him for being the guy that recorded that video of his teammate.

A lot of people don't seem to remember this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1891629

Also it was pre-social media days...

Yall crazy :lol:. Not defending dlo but people do dumb **** all the time and while it's not forgotten it dies down and they go on with their career.

Paul George
Tony parker
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Lance Stephenson
Chris Paul
Michael jackson
Chris brown
R Kelly

Etc. Dlo might have the most tame scandal on this list. Still lame af, I'm just saying

if Dlo doesn't eventually become a better basketball player, he will always be first known as the dude who leaked the video of his teammate. based off this, i'm willing to bet that dlo is forced to grow up a lot faster and put in more work in the gym.

Yall crazy :lol:. Not defending dlo but people do dumb **** all the time and while it's not forgotten it dies down and they go on with their career.

Paul George
Tony parker
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Lance Stephenson
Chris Paul
Michael jackson
Chris brown
R Kelly

Etc. Dlo might have the most tame scandal on this list. Still lame af, I'm just saying

What did Tim Duncan do?

Also, those three entertainers have **** reputations :lol: Not exactly the best examples.

Last edited:
What did Tim Duncan do?

Also, those three entertainers have **** reputations :lol: Not exactly the best examples.

Timmy d switched "positions", so to speak.

And the entertainers were able to bounce back, continue their careers, win back their fans, work with other artists and so on. Like I said what he did was lame af but yall trippin if you think people will never get over it. Just a modified version of ALA.

Timmy d switched "positions", so to speak.

And the entertainers were able to bounce back, continue their careers, win back their fans, work with other artists and so on. Like I said what he did was lame af but yall trippin if you think people will never get over it. Just a modified version of ALA.

The hell? I don't remember the Tim Duncan thing at all. Was that even in the media or just internet "rumors?"

Paul George
Tony parker
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Lance Stephenson
Chris Paul
Michael jackson
Chris brown
R Kelly

Bruh

This dude committed the most flagrant act of snitching/violation of guy code I've ever seen from a professional athlete and might singlehandedly break up a Hollywood marriage between his own teammate and a pop star and you're comparing it to Chris Paul nut-checking Julius Hodge in college, Paul George getting caught up with Instagram thots, Lance Stephenson blowing in LeBron's ear, Duncan doing I don't even know what, Tony Parker and D-Wade cheating on their ex-wives before social media was even big and the R Kelly and Michael Jackson situations that everybody STILL talks about every time their names are brought up even with them being two of the greatest artists of all-time.

Add in that he plays in a league with more dudes from the inner city than any other professional league in the world and you really think dudes in the NBA are going to just forget about what Russell did by next week?

What this dude did is so bad that I was watching Sportscenter earlier and they brought in Tom Penn to discuss Russell's contract details to show how many years he has guaranteed money coming to him and when the Lakers could release him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom