2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
You supported 50/50 which is a poor stance.

And I didn't say all players SHOULD take less, I said it's happening, as witnessed by Heat and Spurs, now Dirk. Guys are taking less, its a growing trend I pointed out. I didn't say it should be that way, just how it is nowadays.

And who determines who should get full maxes? Who says who the 25 are? What if Harden can't get max on Thunder, but clearly deserves elsewhere? You'd have teammates literally fighting for the ball to "earn" that contract. Why should a team that drafts well, have to let a "max" guy go to another team because they already have 2-3 other max guys they drafted?????

All of this

Thunder really had 4 max guys before they stranded Harden. KD Russ and Serge all took less to keep their tact.

This is BS to me, that players HAVE to take less if....
That HAVE to is ****

Last edited:
Harden earned that money OKC just like he did in Houston, it isn't that hard to recognize a max contract level guy.

There was nothing wrong with 50/50 either when the NBA is generating record high revenues. My only beef with the players were them holding out of a few hundred million over the life of the cba when they were gonna lose triple that with 1 lost season. Again no structure. The money is being spent regardless so telling guys to take less means nothing & they're not getting that money back.

Clearly guys like Carmelo & LeBron don't want to take less but if they're being told they have to to keep a good team together then what? Al I'm saying is they don't have to and they shouldn't have to as being suggested.

Wade opted outta 40 mill after 4 finals trips and 2 rings :x

He must really love Lebae cuz that's crazy right there plain ole crazy :smh:
This is why I'm reading every report with a high degree of pessimism. Wade (and Bosh) would not have opted out just so Arison could pay Lebron and avoid the luxury tax.

And if Wade signs for 4 years, he gotta play all 4 years to get all the money from the contract. If he retires early he only gets a portion of that.

So why not take your 40 mil in the next 2 years & then see if you feel like putting your knee through another 8 month grind?

Unless you, Bron, & Bosh have other ideas :nerd:

Word it's not making sense, Wade was in a perfect spot to ride off into the sunset and cash out after a wonderful career and helping Bae get chips.

Now he's probly gotta play another 3/4 years to earn less than that :x

Not sure if he's noble or downright foolish

I woulda told son you might as well go back home cuz I'm not opting out, it's not you it's me on some George Costanza breakup steez :lol:

If Melo is a max guy at 26 mill a year and he goes to (let's say Miami for simple math) Miami and takes 19 mill per....do you guys have any idea what that does to the value of a SF above avg guy. It depletes it, and it depletes the ENTIRE POSITION across the entire league

Harden earned that money OKC just like he did in Houston, it isn't that hard to recognize a max contract level guy.

There was nothing wrong with 50/50 either when the NBA is generating record high revenues. My only beef with the players were them holding out of a few hundred million over the life of the cba when they were gonna lose triple that with 1 lost season. Again no structure. The money is being spent regardless so telling guys to take less means nothing & they're not getting that money back.

Clearly guys like Carmelo & LeBron don't want to take less but if they're being told they have to to keep a good team together then what? Al I'm saying is they don't have to and they shouldn't have to as being suggested.

It's easy?

So is Lance a max guy? Was he held back by PG, West, Hibbert? Maybe he'd flourish on his own squad like Harden. He's only 23, Harden was 22.

How bout Chandler Parsons?

Deandre Jordan?

Vucevic?

Bledsoe???? Dragic might have held his game back.

Klay Thompson on his own team, max guy?

Was 2012 Bynum a max guy under Kobe and Pau?

Is it offense that makes them max, or defense? Harden v Deandre. Who has more right to a max?

What about Rubio, or Mike Conley?

How bout Wade? Can old guys get max deals? Where do we cut them off?????

Easy huh? :lol:

All of this

Thunder really had 4 max guys before they stranded Harden. KD Russ and Serge all took less to keep their tact.

This is BS to me, that players HAVE to take less if....
That HAVE to is ****

KD and Russ didn't take less :lol: They both got max deals. Serge didn't take much less than the max if I remember correctly. OKC was just cheap and didn't want to pay Harden that extra 4.5 mil to keep him.

Depends on what you consider a max player to be. Cause imo Roy Hibbert was never a max guy.

It's easy?

So is Lance a max guy? Was he held back by PG, West, Hibbert? Maybe he'd flourish on his own squad like Harden. He's only 23, Harden was 22.

How bout Chandler Parsons?

Deandre Jordan?

Vucevic?

Bledsoe???? Dragic might have held his game back.

Klay Thompson on his own team, max guy?

Was 2012 Bynum a max guy under Kobe and Pau?

Is it offense that makes them max, or defense? Harden v Deandre. Who has more right to a max?

What about Rubio, or Mike Conley?

How bout Wade? Can old guys get max deals? Where do we cut them off?????

Easy huh? :lol:

Well illustrated. Repped. Figuring out who the max guys are isn't easy. Some team with whatever player is going to struggle with the idea of WHO to give the max to, and when

Word it's not making sense, Wade was in a perfect spot to ride off into the sunset and cash out after a wonderful career and helping Bae get chips.

Now he's probly gotta play another 3/4 years to earn less than that :x

Not sure if he's noble or downright foolish

I woulda told son you might as well go back home cuz I'm not opting out, it's not you it's me on some George Costanza breakup steez :lol:

Wade more than likely is going to sign a long term deal worth more than the 42 million he gave up, whether Bron leaves or not, even if it's worth less annually, so all this talk about him losing money is a bit premature.

KD and Russ both took less, those weren't max, don't make me find the interview of them both speaking on taking less so Harden and Ibaka could come in on the money as well.

They were max guys, that didn't max

You're comparing an all NBA level player to glorified role players. If you don't think Harden is a max level guy then fine but you're in the vast minority.

And Wade had near max deal which he opted out of (as suggested remember) only to be told to take a little less per year to keep competing for titles. Yea we are arguing opinion but I don't think it should have ever come to that. Mickey Arison is the owner let him figure it out instead of making a guy take less than what he signed for.

KD and Russ both took less, those weren't max, don't make me find the interview of them both speaking on taking less so Harden and Ibaka could come in on the money as well.

They were max guys, that didn't max

Russell Westbrook signs max contract with Thunder

Oklahoma City and point guard Russell Westbrook have agreed upon a max contract extension.

The deal, worth $80 million over five years, was finalized Wednesday night, according to Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski, who first reported the deal.

Russell Westbrook signed an $80 million deal—and left money on the table. (AP Photo)

MORE ON NBA NEGOTIATIONS

— Report: Minnesota hasn't offered Love max years

— Deveney: Extension decisions will have major effect on league's future

Westbrook, 23, made second-team All-NBA in his third pro season a year ago, and with the deal cemented his status as an Oklahoma City cornerstone alongside scoring champ Kevin Durant. Oklahoma City lost to the Dallas Mavericks in last season's Western Conference finals and, at 12-3, have the second-best record in the league behind the Chicago Bulls.

The deal, as noted by SI's Chris Mannix, is not a "supermax" deal; Westbrook could've been eligible for an annual salary worth 30 percent of the salary cap. Instead, he opted for a standard max deal that pays him 25 percent of the cap, which enables Oklahoma City to continue locking down key players like James Harden and Serge Ibaka.

Durant in 2010 signed a five-year "supermax" extension with the Thunder that took effect this season and will total about $89 million. That figure was determined before the season by CBA's so-called "Derrick Rose Rule." In order to qualify, the player must have met specific requirements during his four-year rookie contract; an Most Valuable Player award, two All-NBA (first, second or third) team nods, or two All-Star Game starts.

Durant met those guidelines and reaped the benefits—the same maximum salary as a player with seven years in the league. Westbrook, assuming he matches his production from last season, likely would've been able to do the same, but opted not to do so.

In any case, as noted by SI.com's Zach Lowe, the extension means the Thunder have about $48 million committed to five players for 2013-14.

Harden and Ibaka are eligible for early extensions as of July 1 though those contracts wouldn't kick in until the 2013-14 season. If Oklahoma City can't reach deals with the players by the October 2012 deadline, they would become restricted free agents in July 2013.

Players in Westbrook's draft class, including Timberwolves power forward Kevin Love, have until Jan. 26 to sign contract extensions; if they don't, they'll become restricted free agents after the 2011-12 season.

Love, according to multiple reports, has been offered a maximum salary but only a four-year deal by the Timberwolves. He took to Twitter to congratulate Westbrook: "Overwhelmed with joy for my brother @russwest44. Put in so much work to be where he is today. You deserve it."

The list of players eligible to sign extensions includes Danilo Gallinari, Nuggets; Eric Gordon, Hornets; Roy Hibbert and George Hill, Pacers; Ryan Anderson, Magic; Brook Lopez, Nets; and Nicolas Batum, Blazers.

Westbrook was criticized heavily in the postseason over the perception that he was taking too many shots, and it led to speculation over both his relationship with Durant and place in Oklahoma City's plans; one widely circulated rumor had him headed to Boston for Rajon Rondo.

All the while, Westbrook and Durant maintained that there are no problems between them—and Westbrook's extension would serve as supporting evidence, particularly considering his decision not to take 30 percent.

Oklahoma City selected Westbrook fourth overall in 2008 out of UCLA. In his fourth NBA season, he's averaging 20.5 points, 5.5 assists and 5.0 rebounds.

---So Russ actually signed a regular max deal instead of the supermax like KD.

Last edited:
Kurt Helin @basketballtalk ·
Report: Pacers “quietly” shopping Roy Hibbert. Good luck with that. http://dlvr.it/6DxsPN

:lol: Indiana has had ENOUGH

Somebody is going to pick him up with hopes of a better situation.

NY wouldn't trade Amare for Hibbert?

Amare came to NY when it wasn't sexy to do so. They've both stayed down no need to bail now in the last year. That would be an interesting trade though

@ShawnFNBA: A few students at UCLA are saying they saw all 3, Kobe/Melo/Love there today.

Kobe and melo confirmed I guess..... Dnt know about love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom