2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
They vetoed the CP3 trade because that was worse then when Lloyd Christmas got 20 bucks from a blind kid for a sack of marbles and a dead bird.

Hornets also would have received a first round pick in the original Laker deal

What's done is done though, Lakers have had unlimited Game Genie type trades anyway

Last edited:
The Hornets did end up trading CP for young players and picks. They got Gordon, who was in his 4th year, Aminu, who was a second year player, and a highly coveted first round pick that the Clippers had from Minnesota, which was not protected. That pick turned out to be Austin Rivers, but its not Stern or the Clippers' fault he turned out to be a bust. The Hornets also got Chris Kaman's pretty sizeable expiring contract. At the time of the deal, Gordon had shown the talent to be a top SG in the league, who played on both sides of the ball. The biggest knock on him was health issues. But he was viewed as someone with all-star level talent. Aminu was drafted as a project, but showed flashes at times. So, the Clippers deal involved exactly what you said it should - young talent, a high first round pick and one expiring contract.

The Lakers deal, on the other hand, did not. The Hornets were not getting young talent or high picks in that deal. It would have put the Hornets in that no-man's land, where they would have had no real stars, but would be competitive enough to fight for a last playoff spot (and hence put themselves out of prime lottery position).

I know hindsight is 20/20, but at the time the Lakers/Rockets/Hornets deal NO would've gotten a good scoring guard, a tough big man, and the reigning 6th man of the year, plus that pick. After reading some articles from around that time, it seems like more than a few people thought it was a decent haul considering they had no leverage while still keeping the team competitive.

And I get the point that the young prospects > being a 7-8 seed first round KO every year, and like I said hindsight is 20/20, but it worked out terribly for them. Plus in terms of a potential buyer for the team, I feel like the Hawks-lite playoff team would've been a better sell than a team of young no-names with decent upside but high risk for a return.

edit: and then the next year they landed the #1 pick and got Anthony Davis, so I guess it did sorta work out :lol:

Last edited:
What pieces did NO end up with? EG, Aminu and a pick that became Austin Rivers? Can't completely remember

What pieces did NO end up with? EG, Aminu and a pick that became Austin Rivers? Can't completely remember
Correct and Chris Kaman

Compared to what the Lakers' trade offered: the #16 pick in the 2012 draft, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom

Last edited:
Looking at it now, the lakers deal is better. Simply because of dragic.

Yes, but you can't look at it now. Dragic didn't have his break out season until 3 years after the trade went down. Back then, his ceiling was looking more like solid starter/very good back-up; not all-star. Plus, Dragic really benefitted this last season from the system and coaching in Phoenix. No guarantee that happens elsewhere.

At the time, the combination of Gordon, Aminu and a top 10 pick appeared to offer much more young talent than just Dragic and a bunch of older, fairly highly paid, veterans.

Speaking of the Pelicans, have they done anything this offseason? I know they have a lot of guys they'd like to trade, but they haven't managed to pull anything off, right?

When the Rockets get a top 10 pick from the Pelicans (for Asik) it will cap off one pitiful GM run for Dell Demps. He can thank his lucky stars he lucked into Anthony Davis

The Pelicans were doing it wrong the day they maxed out a hobbled Gordon who literally told them not to match, saying "my heart is in Phoenix"

Last edited:
Right. I like that move for them. If Gordon and Holiday can somehow have good, healthy years, NO could have a very outside shot at the playoffs
I like the move but the price was too high. The Rockets will get the Pelicans' first round pick if it falls between 4-19. They won't make the playoffs even though Anthony Davis will be one of the best players in the league

What was jrue holiday's injury last year? I feel like people are sleeping on him a little too much
Stress fractured his right tibia ended his season. He was putting up numbers but they were a .500 team when he was healthy (played in 34 games)

Split on Holiday, I never thought he was special in Philly but you can't deny he's a young prospect. He just doesn't do anything specifically that exceptionally. Running a team, shooting, creating, court vision, defense.. all of it is just solid not special.

Last edited:
His season ended prematurely in 2013–14 after season-ending surgery in February 2014 for a stress fracture in his right tibia. He had not played since January 8 because of the shin injury. He had played 34 games, averaging 14.3 points, 7.9 assists, and 1.6 steals per game.

So it seems like at the minimum we are looking at Kyle Lowry type of player . I think the pelicans got a good shot of taking one of the last 3 playoff spots cuz at least one out of the blazers warriors rockets grizzlies and possibly even the mavericks is gonna fall out of the playoffs this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom