2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mavericks got loads better, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be able to understand even ONE person saying Dallas is not better, maybe even worse, So when I see a lot of people agreeing that they are NOT as equally talented, or even LESS talented than last year, well, then I think the lines are blurred and it becomes a popularity contest on which posters feel which way and some just can't go against the grain, no matter how logical going against the grain sometimes can be.

Look at the teams that finished ahead of the Mavs and the stars in the West in their prime

KD, Westbrook, Blake, CP3, Harden,D12, Aldridge, Lillard, Steph and Klay

You don't think any of those guys are going to get better and improve their team?

Not to mention a guy like Anthony Davis who will improve their teams

Last edited:
Look at the teams that finished ahead of the Mavs and the stars in the West in their prime

You don't think any of those guys are going to get better and improve their team?

How many of those guys you named just now have rings?

Young teams rarely win Championships.

How did OKC do when they got to the Finals? They got smashed.

What did it take to dethrone the Heat each time? A young up-and-coming team? Nah.

I'm not saying the guys you just listed won't win some eventually, they may, but what the Spurs and Mavs have shown in the past three/four years is that if you build your team correctly, with great coaching, you don't need superstars to win. You need superstar teamwork.

The old philosophy of the Larry Brown Detroit Pistons' lives strong with Greg Popp and Rick Carlisle. Make due with what you have, and give them hell.

That's the philosophy Dallas is rolling with.

parsons is borderline washed now?

Not just him, but dinosaur Tyson Chandler (31), ancient Jameer Nelson (32), and elderly Raymond Felton (30), decrepit Aminu (23), and old as hell Greg Smith (23).

30 is older in professional sports especially if those guys will asked to play a huge role

You have to take off your fan hat please. I'm a Spurs fan but if you said they could finish 4th next season, I wouldn't say you're crazy

As most in this thread remember, I thought (with a very high conviction) that the Thunder would eat the Spurs even w/out Ibaka.

Thought this because

1. Youth and athleticism was a big advantage when these two played in the regular season

2. Thunder had arguably 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA this year

3. Spurs would tire out before 4th quarter

I was wrong, the Seasoned team won, Thunder got handled

It's funny how Lebron's been a good to great shooter for at least 4 years but people refuse to accept it. He's shot over 40% and 37.9% from 3 the last 2 seasons. People back off of him because a jump shot from even the best shooter in the world is a lower % shot than Lebron's FG% at the rim (damn near 80%). He's taking tough shots too.

I'm glad that there's still some people out there that actually get it.

LeBron shoots a higher % from 3 over his career than Kobe, :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
30 is older in professional sports especially if those guys will asked to play a huge role

You have to take off your fan hat please. I'm a Spurs fan but if you said they could finish 4th next season, I wouldn't say you're crazy

How old were Ray, Pierce, and KG when they won in Boston?
How about Kobe and Pau when they won back-to-back rings?
How old was Wade when he won his last two?
Was Dirk under 35 when they won? Was ANYONE other than Tyson under 35 when the Mavs won? :lol:
Were Duncan and Ginobili the same guys that won back in 99/05?

With the exception of LeBron James/Chris Bosh/Tony Parker, the teams that have won Championships since 2007 have all been laden with NBA veterans. A good mix of older, and some younger.

How many of those guys you named just now have rings?

Young teams rarely win Championships.

How did OKC do when they got to the Finals? They got smashed.

What did it take to dethrone the Heat each time? A young up-and-coming team? Nah.

I'm not saying the guys you just listed won't win some eventually, they may, but what the Spurs and Mavs have shown in the past three/four years is that if you build your team correctly, with great coaching, you don't need superstars to win. You need superstar teamwork.

The old philosophy of the Larry Brown Detroit Pistons' lives strong with Greg Popp and Rick Carlisle. Make due with what you have, and give them hell.

That's the philosophy Dallas is rolling with.

You cant live in the past with the ring talk

Eventually these young teams will run the league

How old were Ray, Pierce, and KG when they won in Boston?
How about Kobe and Pau when they won back-to-back rings?
How old was Wade when he won his last two?
Was Dirk under 35 when they won? Was ANYONE other than Tyson under 35 when the Mavs won? :lol:
Were Duncan and Ginobili the same guys that won back in 99/05?

With the exception of LeBron James/Chris Bosh/Tony Parker, the teams that have won Championships since 2007 have all been laden with NBA veterans. A good mix of older, and some younger.

How many teams have won the championship when their best player is 36 years old?

I'm still hesitant to call Dallas a contender, but they definitely improved from last year's squad. I still can't imagine Dallas beating Spurs or OKC in a 7 game series though.

Then again, I'm less informed and interested in Western conference compared to East, where my team resides.

I'm still hesitant to call Dallas a contender, but they definitely improved from last year's squad. I still can't imagine Dallas beating Spurs or OKC in a 7 game series though.

Then again, I'm less informed and interested in Western conference compared to East, where my team resides.

My issue wasn't with people saying Dallas wasn't a contender.
It was people claiming they are not better, and possibly worse, lol.
But I do think they are a contender. As well as Okc and the Spurs. I'd even throw Memphis in there.
Any team making it out of the West, has a better chance of beating a East team in 7, than the second best team in the east does.

The Mavs look like an improved team not a contender though

At best they look like a 5th or 6th seed in the West and probably another first round exit

Last edited:
The Spurs have balked at "eventually," for about five years now.

Diaw (32), Parker (32), Duncan (38), Manu (37) all just destroyed that notion. They dismantled the Heat, easily.

You can sit here and say the takeover is happening, but once someone other than LeBron and Wade win a ring, let me know.

The old folks been running things around here for a while now.

I'm not living in the past man. Spurs just won. Dallas won the last time the Heat DIDN'T win.

2004: Detroit Pistons win with Chauncey Billups being their best player, but an all-around team effort. Definitely not a superstar.
2005: Tim Duncan carried the team to their third Championship at the ripe age of 29.
2006: Wade carries his team, the youngest player to carry a team to a Championship since probably Magic Johnson?
2007: The Spurs do it again, this time giving the award to Parker, but still the team was relatively old BACK THEN.
2008: Boston Celtics lean on their veterans, Pierce being 30 at the time.
2009-2010: Lakers win back-to-back, Kobe being 30/31.
2011: Mavericks trample all the young talent (LeBron, Wade, Durant, Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kobe Bryant too). Dirk was 33.
2012-2013: LeBron does his thing.
2014: The Spurs are back again. Yes, Kawhi wins Finals MVP, but the old guys playing sound basketball is what did it.

So, since 2004, the Heat and Pistons are the only relatively "young," team to win a Championship.

But I guess I'm just thinking in the past or whatever. :lol:

I'm glad that there's still some people out there that actually get it.

LeBron shoots a higher % from 3 over his career than Kobe, :lol:
Lol dudes come with the excuse that he keeps his percentage high because he dosent shoot full court shots at the buzzer. They can't accept the fact

LeBron has attempted 3332 3PTs.

Kobe has attempted 4895 3PTs.

In the past 4 years, Lebron attempted all career lows in 3PTs attempted, since his rookie season

Last year, Kobe shot .188 in 3PTs, since he only placed in 6 games, which hurt his average, and the season before Kobe attempted 407, the 3rd highest in his career

If your take LeBron's 3332 3PTs, & Kobe first 3332 3PTs, Kobe shot at a higher percentage

Y'all are like politicians with these career averages statistics. Only using them to prove your own point.

You don't have to be a Kobe stan, to be able to prove a valid point

Last edited:

In the past 4 years, Lebron attempted all career lows in 3PTs attempted, since his rookie season
Last year, Kobe shot .188 in 3PTs, since he only placed in 6 games, which hurt his average, and the season before Kobe attempted 407, the 3rd highest in his career

If your take LeBron's 3332 3PTs, & Kobe first 3332 3PTs, Kobe shot at a higher percentage

Y'all are like politicians with these career averages statistics. Only using them to prove your own point.

You don't have to be a Kobe stan, to be prove a valid point
The point wasn't to prove LeBron was a better shooter then Kobe. Calm down sir. It was to prove he's actually a pretty good shooter.

Dallas can run with any team in the West, in a 7 game series.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

You don't have to be a Kobe stan, to be prove a valid point
The point wasn't to prove LeBron was a better shooter then Kobe. Calm down sir. It was to prove he's actually a pretty good shooter.
I do agree LeBron is a good shooter. However, earlier on some, some indeed were saying he was a better shooter.

Last edited:

2004- That team is comparable to the Mavs but the core of Billups, Rasheed, Hamilton, Ben and Tayshaun were all in their 20s
2005- Duncan was a top 5 player. Parker and Manu were ascending
2006- Wade was way better than any player the Mavs have on their roster. Shaq was still an All-NBA player. They also had solid veterans in Walker, GP, Williams, UD, Posey and Zo
2007- Duncan was still argubly a top 5 player. Parker and Manu were ascending
2008- KG was an NBA MVP candidate, Pierce was All-NBA and Ray Allen was an All Star. Rondo was great too
2009-10- Kobe was the best player in the world and Pau was an All-NBA player
2011- Dirk was an All-NBA and a top 10 player in the NBA, Tyson was All-Defensive team selection. Also had a deep bench. Also Lebron became Bizarro Bron which helped
2012-13- Lebron was the best player in the world combined with All-NBA Wade and All Star Bosh
2014- Parker was an All-NBA player. Duncan, Manu and Kawhi are borderline All Star type players combined with a deep and versatility bench

3 of those teams are comparable to the Mavs at a glance( 2005 Pistons, the 2011 Mavs and 2014 Spurs) but when you look closer

The current Mavs don't have an All-NBA player or All-Defensive team player or a bench to them compare to those teams

If you think a 2 seed is realistically for the current Mavs roster? :lol:

Dirk isnt 2011 Dirk

Monta is still in his prime but hes not better than the stars I have mentioned before

Parsons is a nice young player

Do you really think Parsons is going to be able to defend effectively defend Durant or Lebron though?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom