2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
and that was last season. going into next year are they better or worse? if you think worse, i strongly disagree.
they're about the same still imo, i don't think they're roster got that much better to make them title contenders or even considered to be a top team in the west. parsons was an upgrade from an old marion but not convinced chandler will survive a full season, felton won't bloat up to 300 pounds eating texas BBQ daily and the rest of the roster other than monta helping a older dirk out.

the west is tough, last season the suns were that close to taking the mavs or grizzlies spot.

* houston and portland were tied but houston had the tie-breaker to take the 4th seed, i wouldn't have called them a lower seed in that situation.

Last edited:
Lol @Felton comments. Good thing they have 14 other players, or Dallas would never leave the buffet to make it to the stadium, right?

Everyone saying the same trash.

Yeah won the exact same amount of games

If everyone is saying the exact same thing maybe it has some validity? Thinking the Mavs wouldnt be that great this season

Last edited:
Well. There we have it.
I'm often wrong, and will be again.

Some people just have a problem with being wrong.

I agree with a lot, hell most of the Felton comments.
He's no Bynum type cancer that's going to ruin the whole team chemistry.
If the argument for Dallas being a worse team and a NOT a top 4 seed is Felton, well, that's just what it is I guess, an argument.

You can't even say who's a lower seed between a 4 and 5 so, I'll digress

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure why the hell Raymond Felton keeps being discussed as if he's playing a major role on the Mavs this year.

I'm trying to figure why the hell Raymond Felton keeps being discussed as if he's playing a major role on the Mavs this year.

Cause it's the offseason and dudes ain't got nun better to do but flap da gums...

can't wait till the season starts
Will be refreshing to get sum games

Last edited:
GOT HOME FROM WORK. HIT THE GYM. CHECK THE THREAD

@NobleKane   QUOTES ME AND SAYS IM IMAGINING KOBE STANS. THERE ARE NO KOBE STANS IN THIS THREAD.

PAGES LATER...

KOBE STANS. KOBE STANS EVERYWHERE.

Tired of hearing bout Love to cleveland, I hope the wolves use the month after wiggins signing to get more leverage

Cant have them get duped into taking Anthony bennett and a first round pick that stand to fall between 25-30 every year

YEA DUDES BDAY WAS OVER

UR ONE OF THE REAL FANS I KNOW BUT I BLAME YOU FOR THE SHENANIGANS FROM THE KAST OAGES LOL

The Mavs barely made the playoffs last season

And they challenged the eventual Champions harder than anyone else last year. :rofl:

The logic is ridiculous.

They still played really good basketball despite not having a ton of good players. Now they have defenders, they have playmakers on offense.

The Mavericks barely made the Playoffs last year, thus this year they aren't capable of competing in the West. Beautiful.

They have bolstered literally every position except PF, where Dirk reigns supreme.

Last year, they had Calderon who was great offensively, but was absolutely horrendous defensively. Jameer and Felton are no lock-down defenders, but both are better defenders than Calderon will ever be. Also, each of them (along with Devin Harris) can back-up Monta when he needs to rest.

One of our largest holes last year was trying to get production out of our SF position, because Shawn Marion took a nosedive in terms of offensive production. Now? We have our most versatile SF since Josh Howard, and probably better than him. And we also have an excellent perimeter defender to back him up, so losing Shawn won't hurt at all.

And our absolute largest hole last year was Center. We had undersized DeJuan Blair, and under-hearted Dalembert manning the Center position. Even if Tyson is half of what he was back in 2011, he'll still be lightyears better than Dalembert, and still much bigger than Blair. He was absolutely the key to winning in 2011, and if he can give us that effort again in the Playoffs, we'll be okay.

Carlisle maximizes talent. He made Jason Kidd, DeShawn Stevenson, Tyson Chandler, and Corey Brewer look like they were pieces that could not be replaced. He made OJ Mayo look like he might actually be a viable player again. He's making Monta Ellis into a killer-instinct kind of player again. Now, he has Tyson, Jameer/Felton, and Parsons to work with. Trust, Carlisle will do work.

If Jameer and Felton were in the same back-court with any other coach other than maybe Popp, I wouldn't be happy. With Carlisle? He'll make it work.

Last edited:

And they challenged the eventual Champions harder than anyone else last year. :rofl:

The logic is ridiculous.

They still played really good basketball despite not having a ton of good players. Now they have defenders, they have playmakers on offense.

The Mavericks barely made the Playoffs last year, thus this year they aren't capable of competing in the West. Beautiful.

They have bolstered literally every position except PF, where Dirk reigns supreme.

Last year, they had Calderon who was great offensively, but was absolutely horrendous defensively. Jameer and Felton are no lock-down defenders, but both are better defenders than Calderon will ever be. Also, each of them (along with Devin Harris) can back-up Monta when he needs to rest.

One of our largest holes last year was trying to get production out of our SF position, because Shawn Marion took a nosedive in terms of offensive production. Now? We have our most versatile SF since Josh Howard, and probably better than him. And we also have an excellent perimeter defender to back him up, so losing Shawn won't hurt at all.

And our absolute largest hole last year was Center. We had undersized DeJuan Blair, and under-hearted Dalembert manning the Center position. Even if Tyson is half of what he was back in 2011, he'll still be lightyears better than Dalembert, and still much bigger than Blair. He was absolutely the key to winning in 2011, and if he can give us that effort again in the Playoffs, we'll be okay.

Carlisle maximizes talent. He made Jason Kidd, DeShawn Stevenson, Tyson Chandler, and Corey Brewer look like they were pieces that could not be replaced. He made OJ Mayo look like he might actually be a viable player again. He's making Monta Ellis into a killer-instinct kind of player again. Now, he has Tyson, Jameer/Felton, and Parsons to work with. Trust, Carlisle will do work.

If Jameer and Felton were in the same back-court with any other coach other than maybe Popp, I wouldn't be happy. With Carlisle? He'll make it work.

Just let Friendly be great

They challenged the Spurs and this is great but take away the Vince Carter improbable three and the series is probably over in 5 games

They had a good match up for them vs the Spurs but you cant hang your hat on being a challenge

But do you think the Mavs would've took a young athletic team like Thunder, Clippers or Rockets to a game 7?

The Mavs edged the Suns by one game to get into the playoffs. The Suns have improved their roster and they have young ascending players

Also the majority of the West teams that finished ahead of them will be improved just by that they have young star players who are ascending

The Mavs are picking up borderline washed guys besides Parsons.Yall are hoping to catch a 2011 like effect but the pieces are going to be 4 years older

Last edited:
First post updated with the following transactions:

Andrew Wiggins (Cleveland), Doug McDermott (Chicago), Nick Johnson (Houston), Cameron Bairstow (Chicago), Spencer Dinwiddie (Detroit), Erick Green (Denver), Jusuf Nurkic (Denver), Clint Capela (Houston), Joe Harris (Cleveland), Markel Brown (Brooklyn), and Cory Jefferson (Brooklyn) all signing their rookie deals.

Evan Turner to Boston (terms yet to be disclosed).
Robbie Hummel to Minnesota (one year, minimum).
Jameer Nelson to Dallas (terms yet to be disclosed).
Aaron Brooks to Chicago (one year, 1.15 million).
Al-Farouq Aminu to Dallas (two years, 2.1 million).

Knicks waiving Shannon Brown, Pelicans waiving Omri Casspi, Pistons waiving Peyton Siva and Josh Harrelson, and the Mavericks voiding the contract of Rashard Lewis.

The Jazz/Cavaliers trade which landed Carrick Felix, a future second rounder, and cash to the Jazz; John Lucas, Malcolm Thomas, and Erik Murphy to the Cavs.

They challenged the Spurs and this is great but take away the Vince Carter improbable three and the series is probably over in 5 games

They had a good match up for them vs the Spurs but you cant hang your hat on being a challenge

But do you think the Mavs would've took a young athletic team like Thunder, Clippers or Rockets to a game 7?

The Mavs edged the Suns by one game to get into the playoffs. The Suns have improved their roster and they have young ascending players

Also the majority of the West teams that finished ahead of them will be improved just by that they have young star players who are ascending

The Mavs are picking up borderline washed guys besides Parsons.Yall are hoping to catch a 2011 like effect but the pieces are going to be 4 years older

Do I think we could've taken the Thunder to seven games? We won the season series, so maybe.
Do I think we could've taken the Rockets to seven games? We tied the season series, losing games by 2 and 8.
Clippers we would've had issues with, but that's a different story.

So the Suns improved their roster with young, ascending players.

But yet Chandler Parsons, the best young player to roll through the Mavericks doors since God knows when, is just not that important. But Eric Bledsoe, Dragic, and Lil Zeke are. Gotcha.

It really is all about the young guys though, ain't it? Spurs and Mavs beat the Heat by being young. That was the secret to beating them! :lol:

The only player we brought back from the 2011 team was Tyson.

Kidd was 38 in 2011. Jameer Nelson is 32. Felton is 30. Harris is 31.
DeShawn Stevenson was 30. Jason Terry was 33. Monta Ellis is 28, and lightyears better than both of those guys.
Shawn Marion was 33. Chandler Parsons is 25, and Aminu is 23.

Yes, Dirk and Tyson are older. Dirk also had his most productive year last year SINCE the Championship, and Tyson was at his best under Carlisle.

Who in the West has really gotten all that much better?

Spurs haven't made any moves to make them any better.
Warriors got Brandon Rush and Shaun Livingston, but none of those guys are starters.
Houston lost three key role players and only got one decent one in return.
LAC made a good move in bringing in Hawes, but lost a really good back-up to CP3 (who missed 20 games last year).
Memphis got a good shooter, but lost a good shooter. This could be the year that Vince's legs finally give up on him.
OKC added a good piece to fit into the rotation, but will not be any better than Kevin Martin was for them.
Portland added some good bench guys, but nothing more.
Phoenix got a really good player in Lil Zeke, but he'll be sitting behind Goran/Bledsoe with a lot of money tied up to three undersized back-court players with no real depth in the front-court.

Meanwhile, the Mavericks upgraded the three positions that were weakest last year.
PG: Calderon -> Jameer Nelson/Raymond Felton
SF: Marion -> Chandler Parsons/Aminu
C: Dalembert -> Tyson Chandler.

You've pretty much neglected the fact that Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the NBA and will do wonders in getting the most out of these guys. This isn't Charlotte where these guys are playing. They are playing for an organization that strives to maximize the potential of their players, both young and old.

No, we don't have a ton of young talent. But Monta and Chandler Parsons are both under 30, and will be two of our top three scorers next year. Monta isn't breaking down yet. He's still getting started.

Bottom line. Has any team made moves to increase their odds of winning next year more than the Mavericks? I'm talking strictly new faces.

San Antonio: Kyle Anderson, Bryce Cotton.
OKC: Anthony Morrow, Bassy, Mitch McGary,
Portland: Chris Kaman, Steve Blake,
GSW: Shaun Livingston, Brandon Rush,
LAC: Spencer Hawes, Jordan Farmar, CJ Wilcox,
Houston: Trevor Ariza, Nick Johnson, Clint Capela, Troy Daniels, Joey Dorsey, Ish Smith, Jeff Adrien, Alonzo Gee, Scotty Hopson,
Memphis: Vince Carter, Jordan Adams
Phoenix: Lil Zeke, Anthony Tolliver.

Dallas: Chandler Parsons, Tyson Chandler, Al-Farouq Aminu, Jameer Nelson, Greg Smith, Raymond Felton, Richard Jefferson.

Let's look at this another way too; which teams have lost players?

San Antonio: No one.
OKC: Caron Butler, Thabo Sefolosha.
Portland: No one.
GSW: Steve Blake.
LAC: Darren Collison, Willie Green, Danny Granger.
Houston: Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Omri Casspi.
Memphis: Ed Davis, Mike Miller, James Johnson.
Phoenix: Channing Frye, Ish Smith.

Dallas: Jose Calderon, Vince Carter, Wayne Ellington, Bernard James, Shane Larkin, Samuel Dalembert, DeJuan Blair.

I'm just talking strictly transactions. How can you sit here and say that the Mavs are trying to relive their old magic when the three best players got rid of a 32 year old, a 37 year old, and a 33 year old. The three best players they brought in are 25, 32, and 31. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom