2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Pop an analytics guy?

And neither Spo or Cuban are GMs so why are bringing them up?

Pop's floor spacing, his changing of the spurs pace of play over the years, his value of the 3 point line from 99 to 2014, his atypical, non traditional lineups over the last 7 years leads me to believe that he definitely values analytics and uses them to garner a sense of how the Spurs can be and have been most successful.

and Spo and Cuban are not GM's, however they are almost most certainly in control of their teams from a roster standpoint and have a huge hand in what direction the franchises are headed. Simply put if Spo and Cuban believe in analytics, their teams will be a reflection of that whether they are GM's or not.

How is Pop an analytics guy?

And neither Spo or Cuban are GMs so why are bringing them up?

Pop's floor spacing, his changing of the spurs pace of play over the years, his value of the 3 point line from 99 to 2014, his atypical, non traditional lineups over the last 7 years leads me to believe that he definitely values analytics and uses them to garner a sense of how the Spurs can be and have been most successful.

and Spo and Cuban are not GM's, however they are almost most certainly in control of their teams from a roster standpoint and have a huge hand in what direction the franchises are headed. Simply put if Spo and Cuban believe in analytics, their teams will be a reflection of that whether they are GM's or not.

You are literally making this **** up.

You have to factor in that the Analytics boom is relatively new and has only been around for a few years, so to ask who's won using analytics is a bit unfair. Wait 10, 15 years from now to see it's effect even though the spurs consistent success over the past 7 years points towards them valuing analytics very much.

Am I really? The Spurs have one of the Best analytics department in the league, and it's led by Greg..somebody. I forget his last name but the spurs place a huge emphasis on the way they go about basketball.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/9/11/4718090/new-age-of-nba-analytics-sportsvu

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=10849

http://www.sas.com/news/preleases/Spurs.html

From that article:

Like most NBA teams, the San Antonio Spurs spend the offseason poring over player statistics to find better ways to run their sport operations. Using SAS Visual Data Discovery from the leader in business analytics software and services, Spurs staff has found an analytics advantage. SAS Visual Data Discovery brings the Spurs advanced analytics and exploratory data analysis with interactive data visualization, leading to better analyses, faster decisions and more effective presentations of analytic results.

I'm not making this up. The Spurs as a whole value Analytics big time but somehow you don't believe Pop uses it :lol: alright man

Mike Budenholzer, head coach of the Hawks now was Popovich's "right hand man according to him" and he leaned heavily on Analytics.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2013/jun/03/full-q-and-gregg-popovich-mike-budenholzer/

If his right hand man, top assistant, was heavy on Basketball analytics, you don't think that didn't effect the spurs style of play as a whole? Foolish.

Last edited:

Am I really? The Spurs have one of the Best analytics department in the league, and it's led by Greg..somebody. I forget his last name but the spurs place a huge emphasis on the way they go about basketball.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/9/11/4718090/new-age-of-nba-analytics-sportsvu

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=10849

http://www.sas.com/news/preleases/Spurs.html

From that article:

Like most NBA teams, the San Antonio Spurs spend the offseason poring over player statistics to find better ways to run their sport operations. Using SAS Visual Data Discovery from the leader in business analytics software and services, Spurs staff has found an analytics advantage. SAS Visual Data Discovery brings the Spurs advanced analytics and exploratory data analysis with interactive data visualization, leading to better analyses, faster decisions and more effective presentations of analytic results.

I'm not making this up. The Spurs as a whole value Analytics big time but somehow you don't believe Pop uses it :lol: alright man

You said you don't trust a former player as GM or an analytics guy.

I never said Pop never used them but you are implying he's Darryl Morey.

Darryl Morey and John Hollinger are analytics guys.. These are people that never coached or scouted in the NBA in any facet but based on their use of metrics now have NBA jobs.

Those guys haven't won ****.

Pops success seems to be based on always having shooters. His teams have better shooters, and shooters at every position. Anybody can kill you if they're left open, makes ball movement look easy, because whoever the open guy is, is knocking that shot down

Darryl Morey and John Hollinger are analytics guys.. These are people that never coached or scouted in the NBA in any facet but based on their use of metrics now have NBA jobs.

I implied that he's Darryl Morey? What :lol: you implied that I implied that. I didn't imply anything. I was just answering the question you posed.

You said "name a analytics guy that's ever built a champion." That's the question you posed. Greg Popovich definitely has relied heavily on it. That's my point. And he didn't play in the league. Neither did Mike Budenholzer.

Hollinger and Morey are analytics guys, yes. Have they won? No. But as I said, the analytics movement is relatively new, it's not fair to weight the success of the analytics movements against them when it's still brand new.

Last edited:

Repped

Pops success seems to be based on always having shooters. His teams have better shooters, and shooters at every position. Anybody can kill you if they're left open, makes ball movement look easy, because whoever the open guy is, is knocking that shot down

Why do you think he has so many snipers on his team and why do you think the 3 point line is a huge part of why they are successful in 2014 as opposed to their success in 99'? It's not a coincidence. They understand the value of the 3 point line, which is one of the main points of analytics. As I posted in a previous post, the San Antonio Spurs organization are very big on analytics and it's worked for them in a big way.

You realize analytics are just advanced stats?

The majority of coaches throughout history have used some sort of stats

Stats are nothing new

But when you say you trust an analytics guy over a former player/coach, you are basically saying you trust a novice stat guy over experience

Last edited:

I implied that he's Darryl Morey? What :lol: you implied that I implied that. I didn't imply anything. I was just answering the question you posed.

You said "name a analytics guy that's ever built a champion." That's the question you posed. Greg Popovich definitely has relied heavily on it. That's my point. And he didn't play in the league. Neither did Mike Budenholzer.

Hollinger and Morey are analytics guys, yes. Have they won? No. But as I said, the analytics movement is relatively new, it's not fair to weight the success of the analytics movements against them when it's still brand new.

I'm done you can trust the likes of Darryl Morey and John Hollnger if you want.

Give me Pat Riley and Phil Jackson and we'll see who wins more.

The majority of coaches throughout history have used some sort of stats

Stats are nothing new

But when you say you trust an analytics guy over a former player/coach, you are basically saying you trust a novice stat guy over experience[/quote]

I'm done you can trust the likes of Darryl Morey and John Hollnger if you want.

Give me Pat Riley and Phil Jackson and we'll see who wins more.

Well that's totally fair :lol: :lol:

Let's compare Darryl Morey and John Hollinger's new method for potential success which is brand new.... TO PHIL JACKSON AND PAT RILEY. Yeah I'm done with you too :lol:

Pop is that guy that doesn't care who is taking the shot, as long as it is a high percentage shot, I guess that's analytics101 when anyone on the floor at any given time can and will take that high percentage shot.

Darryl Morey has been a GM for damn near a decade. How much time are you going to give him man? :lol:

You give me 8 years and I could build a team that won one playoff series.

Last edited:

Ohhh come onnnnnn :rofl: :rofl:

Bruhhh, if you don't understand analytics fully then say so, but don't say that all they are is advanced stats :lol: :lol:

If you think Analytics is nothing more than advanced stats then there's nothing else that needs to be said :lol: i'm out. Enjoy y'all friday night.

Darryl Morey has been a GM for damn near a decade. How much time are you going to give him man? :lol:

HOW MANY YEARS OUT OF THAT NEAR DECADE HAS THEIR BEEN AN EMPHASIS ON ANALYTICS MAN :lol: :lol: ? Literally it's only come into popular basketball annals in like the past 4 years or so. Quit that.

I'm out though. You're comparing a brand new way of looking at basketball to methods that have been around since forever. (Methods = Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc...never mind the fact that Miami's last 2 NBA championships was in large part because of their value on analytics but i'm sleep.)

Be a Spur that's only got 5 minutes of run per game for the season and take a 3 and miss it in the playoffs but it's wide open and following two passes, he likes that shot

Come down with 5 seconds gone from the shot clock or dribble off 20 seconds and take that same shot and make it with no ball movement and a hand in your face, your getting cursed out. Ask Tony Parker

That bill Russell clip was impressive, I didn't know son used to run the floor like that.
Jabari is looking like a stud out there :wow:

HOW MANY YEARS OUT OF THAT NEAR DECADE HAS THEIR BEEN AN EMPHASIS ON ANALYTICS MAN :lol: :lol: ? Literally it's only come into popular basketball annals in like the past 4 years or so. Quit that.

I'm out though. You're comparing a brand new way of looking at basketball to methods that have been around since forever. (Methods = Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc...never mind the fact that Miami's last 2 NBA championships was in large part because of their value on analytics but i'm sleep.)

Dude that's all he does. Advanced analytics helps but if it is this revolutionary thing he should have had even more success because he should have been ahead of the curb.

Billy Beane started this movement in sports in general and had infinitely more success and quicker than Darryl Morey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom