2013 NFL Draft thread - ( Early Entrees, Mocks, Combine etc )

Carolina Panthers

April 18:18: "General manager David Gettleman is a firm believer in taking the best player available. The Panthers have the No. 14 pick and it doesn't sound like they trade up." - Steve Reed, Associated Press in Charlotte

what does that even me

:smh:

We have 2 2's, 2 3's, 2 5's and 3 7's. Plus our 4.

6 of the first 108 picks.

I can get a true impact game breaking speed kills slot guy next to Wallace and Hartline and with my next 5 picks go OT, CB, DE, S, OG.

And then have 5 more late round picks to try and double up those spots.

I look like Jerry Jones to you?

First round commitment to a WR would mean a pretty huge money commitment to a position disproportionate to that position's importance on the field, yes I think that is a Jerry jones move. Personal belief is WR should be one of the last big investments-- line is the most important.

Todd McShay's 5.1 Mock Draft

NFL Draft 2013
2013 NFL Mock Draft 5.1
After the Darrelle Revis trade, it's time to re-examine the first round
Originally Published: April 21, 2013
By Todd McShay | ESPN Insider

The long-rumored Darrelle Revis trade has been finalized with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sending the No. 13 overall pick to the New York Jets for the All-Pro corner, which means I'm filing yet another mock draft update. We'll call this version 5.1.

Even before we reach the Jets' first pick at No. 9, there are some significant changes. At No. 6, I have the Browns taking Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert, the highest he has been in any of my mocks. It was a tough call with CB Dee Milliner still on the board, but it could happen.

Two picks later, Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib makes his first appearance in the first round going to the Bills at No. 8. It should be noted that Geno Smith, my top-rated QB is still likely to go in Round 1 but I continue to struggle to find him a home without the ability to forecast trades.

In my mock 5.0, I had the Jets taking Milliner, but Barkevious Mingo was my choice in the second scenario. In this mock, the Jets take Mingo.

With the 13th pick, I have the Jets taking Tavon Austin, who, ironically, is the player I had slotted for the Buccaneers. Now that I think about it, why did I mess with this thing in the first place? Oh we'll, it's done now.

There are also more changes at the bottom of the draft.

Draft-eligible non-seniors are denoted by an asterisk.

1. Kansas City Chiefs
Luke Joeckel*, OT, Texas A&M

2. Jacksonville Jaguars
Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

3. Oakland Raiders
Sharrif Floyd*, DT, Florida

4. Philadelphia Eagles
Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

5. Detroit Lions
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

6. Cleveland Browns
Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

7. Arizona Cardinals
Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon

8. Buffalo Bills
Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

9. New York Jets
Barkevious Mingo*, DE/OLB, LSU

10. Tennessee Titans
Dee Milliner*, CB, Alabama

11. San Diego Chargers
Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina

12. Miami Dolphins
Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

13. New York Jets (from Buccaneers)
Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

14. Carolina Panthers
Star Lotulelei, DL, Utah

15. New Orleans Saints
D.J. Fluker*, OT, Alabama

16. St. Louis Rams
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

17. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jarvis Jones*, OLB, Georgia

18. Dallas Cowboys
Sheldon Richardson*, DT, Missouri

19. New York Giants
D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston

20. Chicago Bears
Alec Ogletree*, ILB, Georgia

21. Cincinnati Bengals
Cordarrelle Patterson*, WR, Tennessee

22. St. Louis (from Washington)
Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama

23. Minnesota Vikings
Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

24. Indianapolis Colts
Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida St.

25. Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle)
Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

26. Green Bay Packers
Matt Elam*, S, Florida

27. Houston Texans
Justin Hunter *, WR, Tennessee

28. Denver Broncos
Bjoern Werner*, DE, Florida St.

29. New England Patriots
Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

30. Atlanta Falcons
Justin Pugh*, OG, Syracuse

31. San Francisco 49ers
Zach Ertz*, TE, Stanford

32. Baltimore Ravens
Eric Reid, S, LSU

Todd McShay's 5.1 Mock Draft

if the top 3 picks went this way.. i assume we (the eagles) would listen to offers for those teams looking to trade up for lane johnson

BUT, if we use the pick.. we would go jordan

then try and get someone like pugh using our 2nd (either sit and wait for him.. or trade back into the late 1st)

:rofl: at Eifert going at 6. I doubt the saints take Fluker, Rob ryan is going to make that pick and go with defense. Jets better use one of those picks on cooper or warmack

Last edited:
2013 NFL Draft: Ten things I believe amid all the misinformation

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1...-things-i-believe-amid-all-the-misinformation

It's hard to know what to believe in the days leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft. I've had several instances when I've been told one thing by a personnel man ... only to be told the exact opposite 20 minutes later by an executive from a different team.

Despite all of the misinformation that is out there, I do feel confident in a few areas. Here are 10 things I believe as we head toward Thursday night:

(function() {/* define adPath */nfl.createVideoPlayer({contentId: "0ap2000000162051",related: "team",adSetting: "1",size: "small",dartURL: "http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl...ith;event=draft;tile=10;test=;sz=640x360;ord=" + (nfl.constants.AD_RANDOM || window.adRandom) + "?",html5DartURL: ("http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl...an_smith;event=draft;tile=10;test=;sz=640x360{dcopt};ord=" + (window.adRandom || nfl.constants.AD_RANDOM) + "?").replace('{dcopt}',''),uniqid: "vid2"});}());

1) I believe Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel will be taken in the first three picks.

The Kansas City Chiefs are a near-lock to select an offensive tackle with the first overall selection. (I think Fisher has a great shot at being their choice.) And I also expect either the Jacksonville Jaguars or Oakland Raiders to select one, as well.

2) I believe the San Diego Chargers will have to trade up if they want to land OT Lane Johnson.

Once upon a time, the Chargers were in a great spot to nab the Oklahoma offensive tackle. However, with the both Fisher and Joeckel expected to go early, I don't see how Johnson falls to pick No. 11.

3) I believe Sharrif Floyd could fall out of the top 10 if the Oakland Raiders pass on him at No. 3.

The teams picking fourth through ninth either don't fit Floyd scheme-wise or they are set at the position. The Tennessee Titans (10th pick) would be his last hope to land in the top 10, barring a trade-up from another team.

(function() {/* define adPath */nfl.createVideoPlayer({contentId: "0ap2000000162047",related: "team",adSetting: "1",size: "small",dartURL: "http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl...ith;event=draft;tile=10;test=;sz=640x360;ord=" + (nfl.constants.AD_RANDOM || window.adRandom) + "?",html5DartURL: ("http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/nfl...an_smith;event=draft;tile=10;test=;sz=640x360{dcopt};ord=" + (window.adRandom || nfl.constants.AD_RANDOM) + "?").replace('{dcopt}',''),uniqid: "vid3"});}());

4) I believe Justin Hunter is going to be selected in the first round.

I'm not extremely high on this Tennessee wideout, but apparently several teams feel differently. He's created a lot of buzz over the last week and numerous teams have told me that he is a lock to go on Thursday night.

5) I believe Manti Te'o will hear his name called in Round 1, too.

There just aren't 32 better football players in this draft class who would push Te'o out of the first round. I believe the Baltimore Ravens would be elated if he fell to them at No. 32, but I don't see him falling that far down the board.

6) I believe there's greater than a 50 percent chance that we don't have a running back selected in the first round.

Eddie Lacy needed to convince everyone at his pro day that he is worthy of a first-round selection. He failed to do so, and I don't see any other running back solidifying a spot in the top 32, either.
[table][tr][td]

Predict the Pick:
Create your own mock draft and you could win a trip to Kickoff 2013.
[/td][/tr][/table]
7) I believe the Miami Dolphins will draft a cornerback in the second round.

The Dolphins found Sean Smith in the second round back in 2009, and I think that is where they will find his replacement, as well. I'd look for Miami to land safety Kenny Vaccaro, tight end Tyler Eifert or offensive guard Chance Warmack with its top selection at No. 12 overall.

8) I believe we will have a surprise cornerback selected on Thursday night.

Look for someone like Robert Alford or Darius Slay to sneak into the back end of the first round. With several teams in need of CBs at the bottom of the round, we could see a run on the position.

9) I believe Jamar Taylor is one of the safest picks in this draft.

Taylor has passed every test. He was very good on tape, he had a great week at the Senior Bowl and he performed well at the NFL Scouting Combine. He should hear his name called either late in the first round or at the top of the second.

Jeremiah: Top 50 draft prospects

2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
How do the best players in the 2013 draft stack up against each other? Daniel Jeremiah presents his definitive top 50. More ...

10) I believe none of us have a clue as to when/where these quarterbacks are going to go.

I can't recall another year when there was such uncertainty as to where the top signal-callers will land. I spoke with several team executives over the last 48 hours and they were literally speechless when I asked them to match QB prospects with other teams. Nobody has a feel for this group.

i know about the college HC stuff, i was asking more about what the video tape and other stuff show why should he be a top 10 pick

His former College coach is the HC @Buffalo and they are in dire need out a QB

Tis the only legit reason he could go that high
I don't buy that line of reasoning that so many (ESPN, SI) are pushing.  I certainly hope Buffalo's HC is smart enough not to take this guy in the 1st just because he coached him in college.

From Reddit, re: that Nolan Nawrocki criticism of Geno/Black QB #02

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/21/bell-geno-smith-racial-bias/2101977/

As for Smith, let Trent Dilfer weigh in. The former Super Bowl champ runs the Elite 11 passing camp, matching top college quarterbacks with hot-shot high school prospects. Of the six college quarterbacks who worked the camp last summer in Redondo Beach, Calif., Smith was the only one who arrived with full knowledge of the 89-page playbook Dilfer put together and sent to participants three weeks before camp opened.

"Geno showed up, and on Day 1, he could have taught it," Dilfer told USA TODAY Sports. "He didn't just know it, he owned it. "The Pro Football Weekly report should be discarded," Dilfer added. "It's almost laughable, the stuff he put in there."

Back
Top Bottom