2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

If Reynolds signs with NYY, that means Infante to Royals I'm guessing.

Venom: Intended sleight at Nova or mere overlook.

I meant eating 40% of Hamels' contract more so than Ruben actually shipping him out of Philly. I believe Ruben would trade Hamels for two quality players or prospects that will produce for Ryno in 2014 or 2015. But I can't fathom the Phillies eating anything more than like 20% of Hamels' contract.

If Tanaka posts, he's going to command 75-80 to compensate for the new $20M posting fee limit. Yu got 52/52, I believe. That money has to be made up in some capacity for club and player. Player's desire is to play in America for the 2014 season.

I'm hearing Twins and Angels in the forefront.

The apprehension from NYY fans probably comes from his rough stint in Texas.

Here's what I mean, I'm probably not being clear...

Sign Garza.. Pay the money.. We need the pitching.. Carry 6 starters.
1- C.C.
2- Kuroda
3- Garza
4- Nova
5 & 6 - Phelps & Pineda

Who ever doesn't make it as 5th starter becomes the long reliever / spot starter... We'll need to relieve C.C. & Hiroki of about 4 starts each.

Next year, you may have Brett Anderson (if option is declined), Homer Bailey, Chad Billingsly, Johnny Cuerto, Dan Haren, Josh Johnson, Clayton Kershaw, Jon Lester, Colby Lewis, Justin Masterson, Max Scherzer, James Shields...

If you look the two guys we are thinking about trading for Bailey & Masterson are FAs next year.. Trading Gardner for them now is a mistake when you can have Garza without giving up anything, and if you miss out sign them next year.

2014 into 2015
We extend Gardner for multiple years... Add that #1/#2 pitcher... And replace SS & 3B next offseason and we are golden.

Last edited:
can't count that choke. they fair and square took that, as much as i hate to admit that ......

i hate boston son ....

Jayson Stark is saying the Yanks are in on Ibanez. I think Ibanez still has something to bring to a team but why would the Yankees go after him with their surplus of OFs. Unless they're trying to move two OFs. 

In Yankee dream world, what if Cash had the stones to say forget signing Garza (rough year at Arlington) or trading for Masterson (not worth 5/75), and pry Scherzer from Detroit. It's quietly known that Dombrowski would accept a premium offer or package.

Question is do the Yanks have the pieces to entice Dombrowski. And then you have to pony up for a big extension.

You have to consider all options because indications are Rakuten will not post Tanaka, as Pro has reported.

In Yankee dream world, what if Cash had the stones to say forget signing Garza (rough year at Arlington) or trading for Masterson (not worth 5/75), and pry Scherzer from Detroit. It's quietly known that Dombrowski would accept a premium offer or package.

Question is do the Yanks have the pieces to entice Dombrowski. And then you have to pony up for a big extension.

You have to consider all options because indications are Rakuten will not post Tanaka, as Pro has reported.
I thought that the entire purpose of unloading Fielder was to give the Tigers the ability to resign Scherzer?

It was, but they still need an improvement/upgrade in LF. Dombrowski wants Choo badly by all accounts. Unless you believe Dirks will rebound in a platoon setup and his poor play was injury related.

I find it more likely Scherzer is re-signed. Because he will cost a monster package in prospects plus the extension. Which club would be willing to do that? When you can give up less for Shark. Price is also comparable and readily available.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/11/report-johan-santana-draws-interest-from-yankees/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The New York Yankees are among eight teams — including the Mets — interested in free-agent pitcher Johan Santana, according to ESPN.

The 34-year-old left-hander hit the open market last month when the Mets declined his $25-million option for 2014, which included a $5.5 million buyout.

Santana missed the entire 2013 season after re-tearing the capsule in his left shoulder.

The Minnesota Twins, Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals and Milwaukee Brewers have also shown interest in Santana, ESPN reported. He could choose to “showcase himself” this winter if he doesn’t get the deal he’s looking for, according to ESPN.

Santana went 46-34 with a 3.18 ERA in 109 starts for the Mets. His most memorable moment in Flushing came on June 1, 2012, when he threw the first — and only — no-hitter in franchise history.

Santana, who turns 35 in March, won two Cy Young Awards with the Twins and has a 139-78 lifetime record (3.20 ERA). He also missed the 2011 season following shoulder surgery.

Any team would be smart to lay off the FA's (and Price for that matter) and go after Max. Just don't think any team has the stones really.

Interest is there...but nothing is happening (maybe Garza) until these guys see what Tanaka gets.

Any package for Scherz has to start with Sanchez, I imagine.

My private intuition is that signing McCann for so much at the catcher position indicates Gary is far from ready. We're talking two years away.

Plus, Romine is a capable back up.

But I don't think DD sends Max anywhere in the AL unless he gets an absolute monster deal. The only teams off the top I can think of who can offer that big of a prospect deal outside of the division would be Toronto, TB or Texas.

Yanks don't have much to offer behind Sanchez unfortunately.

You guys will like this latest Gardner rumor...Gardner for Austin Jackson :lol:

Back
Top Bottom