2013 New York Mets Season Thread

You guy forgot this is the Marlins. Like they don't make head scratching move all the time.

The Marlins don't want talent they want to suck
And Wheeler is more than enough to get Stanton

Stanton has three years of arbitration after this year. If Wheeler alone was enough, Sandy would have made the trade already. Marlins are going to want a a lot of players for him. Marlins last big trade was to get ride of contracts, Stanton doesn't have a big contract yet. Stanton is currently being paid around $550,000 this year.

Last edited:
:rofl:

You're out of your mind if you think the Marlins even respond to that offer for Stanton. I doubt Flores is that highly regarded because of his lack of a position, but if even he was a solid position player (at a position of need for the Marlins), that's still not enough.

This is why I said I don't see the Mets trading for Stanton. Miami would want Noah, Zack or Matt, Travis and someone else I'm sure, which is too much.

Oh, no doubt and that's why I laughed at the idea of Syndergaard & Flores even being close to enough. I really wish we could get Stanton but we'd have to give away way too much of what we've been building. Stanton's up for arbitration after this season, he's getting paid peanuts right now but I wonder what's gonna happen with him in the future. You know the Marlins are gonna try to trade him at some point to maximize his value before he's due a huge contract.
You guy forgot this is the Marlins. Like they don't make head scratching move all the time.

The Marlins don't want talent they want to suck
And Wheeler is more than enough to get Stanton
Eh, but what you wrote makes no sense. If Stanton was a salary dump I could understand but there will be teams OFFERING the Marlins way more than Syndergaard & Flores, no them seeking to get rid of him.

Eh, but what you wrote makes no sense. If Stanton was a salary dump I could understand but there will be teams OFFERING the Marlins way more than Syndergaard & Flores, no them seeking to get rid of him.

This.

Last edited:
Tpugh stretch of games coming up specially without David Wright.....11 game road trip vs DBacks, Dodgers, Padres, then back home vs Braves & Tigers.

Pitching will have to carry us.

Cedric, Harvey pitches Tuesday vs LA, so buy tickets for that game.

Damn, I already got my tix for Monday. I might try and to Tuesday then if that's the case. Not sweating it to much, ill be in ny in September so ill catch him pitching then if anything.

Hopefuily they can go 6-5 on this trip. Win the series against Arizona and San Diego and hope for the best against the doyers.

On a side note. MLB ship is real cool. I bought a blue size 52 wright authentic from them back in march which was too big for me, I called them told them my situation and they said to send it back and they'll let me exchange it for a Harvey in a smaller size as long I cover the shipping which is more then fine by me.

Harvey should pitch Tuesday, but you gotta wait to see what TC says. They go back to a six man rotation this Sunday. I doubt Harvey pitches many times in September, they are going to cap his innings and Wheeler too. The September call ups are going to get a lot of playing time then.

I got tickets for the Tigers Saturday game and last game of the season, which is when they are going to induct Piazza into the Mets HOF.

Last edited:
I'm fine with losing the series vs a hot Dodgers team, just try to have something positive and win the series vs the Diamondbacks/Padres. Just don't get swept.

D'Arnaud is going to get called up during this trip since he is in Vegas at the moment.

I'm fine with losing the series vs a hot Dodgers team, just try to have something positive and win the series vs the Diamondbacks/Padres. Just don't get swept.

D'Arnaud is going to get called up during this trip since he is in Vegas at the moment.

To me as long as the Mets play hard, that is all I ask for. Wins will come against any team when you play hard. Since the end of 2007, you can see the Mets not playing hard all season.

d'Arnaud will be up once Buck's wife goes into labor(her due date was last week).

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkmets&id=74952&city=newyork&src=desktop

Last edited:
They've been playing hard this season. Might not show up on the stat sheet in terms of wins but they punched it in after the all star break damn near every season from 2009-2012. Their playing hard and competetive and that's what I'm looking for. Their finaly on the right track.

They've been playing hard this season. Might not show up on the stat sheet in terms of wins but they punched it in after the all star break damn near every season from 2009-2012. Their playing hard and competetive and that's what I'm looking for. Their finaly on the right track.

They are for sure, EYJ has spark them. It would be nice to see it to the end of the season.

some tough games coming up, but i just wanna see them continue to play hard. in years past, they've been known to check out in the 2nd half of the season... seeing them continue to play hard in the final stretch is all i would like to see.

wins will have to be grinded out without wright, but hopefully pitching can get the job done with these next few series'.

Good game last night, playing hard pays off. Mets have to find a position for Flores, especially if he can hit against better teams.

Flores has been a name mentioned for a while now (feels like it's been forever), it's nice to see him playing everyday and contributing the way he has, he's been amazing with the bases loaded so far. :lol: :pimp:

Neise returns and Hefner sent down, our pitching staff (esp bullpen) has been very good, so much upside with this team and it's fun watching them continue to progress and grow.

PHOENIX -- New York Mets right-hander Jeremy Hefner is headed to Triple-A Las Vegas -- or the disabled list.

Hefner, who had been in the rotation the entire season, has been ineffective since the All-Star break, going 0-2 with a 9.13 ERA in five starts.

Mets blog
Looking for more information on the Mets? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

So rather than go to a six-man rotation -- the original plan articulated by the organization with left-hander Jonathon Niese returning from the disabled list -- the Mets decided to demote Hefner.

However, Hefner has been troubled by a nagging elbow injury, the right-hander said. So Hefner will be sent to team doctors in New York to be examined Monday. If Hefner is deemed injured, the demotion will be reversed and Hefner instead will be placed on the major league disabled list, general manager Sandy Alderson said.

Hefner suspects the injury originally occurred when he was struck with a line drive in the right elbow off the bat of Carlos Beltran during spring training. The injury progressively got worse during the season. He indicated he is having difficulty maintaining his stamina deeper in games.

Hefner does not believe the injury was overly serious -- perhaps bone chips, he speculated. He believes his ineffectiveness partly resulted from backing off between-starts work in order to maximize his ability to rebound for his next start.

Hefner is 4-8 with a 4.34 ERA in 24 appearances (23 starts) this season.

"It's been fairly manageable the whole year, but it started to creep up with a little more intensity of late," Hefner said. "I think it's endurance more than anything.

Going back to the [July 29] Miami game and then the Royals and then the other day against the Diamondbacks, the first three or four innings were usually pretty good. And then it went sour very quickly after that. So I think that's when I felt it the most. Once I get to that 70- to 80-pitch range, I'm completely out of gas and don't feel like I'm as strong as I was.

"There's a little bit of pain, soreness, inflammation -- however you want to call it." Niese is returning from a partial tear of the rotator cuff in his left shoulder and is due to face the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sunday afternoon in his first major league game since June 20.

Alderson said one reason for doing the demotion in advance of Monday's medical exam is the Mets need to clear a roster spot Sunday for Niese's activation from the DL.

One of the motivations for a six-man rotation had been to conserve the innings of young pitchers Zack Wheeler and Matt Harvey.

But, Alderson said, with a few outings later in the season from a spot starter, a five-man rotation still should allow for Wheeler and Harvey to mostly complete the season in the rotation without getting shut down because of an innings cap. Hefner, assuming healthy, would be the selection to get a handful of spot starts down the stretch, according to Alderson.

"Particularly with Wheeler and Harvey, who are on innings limits, we think we can still get through almost to the very end of the season with some of the off-days we have," Alderson said.

The GM said there is no Triple-A candidate to be promoted to continue the six-man-rotation plan because those young pitchers are due to hit innings limits soon, too. Alderson noted Las Vegas right-hander Jacob deGrom has thrown 128 innings this season so far -- already a jump from the 111 1/3 innings he logged a season ago.

Fellow prospect Rafael Montero has tossed 131 2/3 innings this season, already a jump from last year's 122 innings.

Last edited:
How awesome has Flores been.

Ike has done a complete 180 since he's come back up.

How awesome has Flores been.

Ike has done a complete 180 since he's come back up.
Yup. I wish Flores could play SS.

Teuful has gotta be the most aggressive 3rd base coach, it's like he send the runner every time. Thankfully it works out a good amount but damn. Keith said he agreed with him sending Byrd the other day on that triple trying to stretch it to an inside the park HR but IDK, he was leading off the inning and yeah, it took two good throws to get him but I feel like you have a better chance of the next two batters driving him in.

I had no problems with the inside the park HR attempt, esp when the Mets don't score a lot of runs.

Today was a bit of a reach but the pitcher was on deck, can't complain too much about either imo.

Yeah, no issues with that call today considering the situation but it just reminded me of how aggressive Teufel is. It definitely makes things more exciting.

Good win, I like the solid play on the road taking 2 of 3 from a decent team in Arizona. Had their chances to win on Friday but oh well.

Hopefully they can take a game or 2 in LA, the doyers are playing real good ball though

Ill be at the game tonight, its always fun seeing your team play on the road, I might go Tuesday since Harvey's getting the start.

If they can get a win in LA and take that San Diego series ill be more then content with this road trip.

Back
Top Bottom